Bike for larger person?

Koriemo

We’re looking for an electric bike for my husband and I to share. We both regularly bike, and an electric bike will help us to bike even more often. We want one that fits both of us. I prefer a low step thru.

He is 6’3 and about 300.
I’m 5’6” and about 175.

We bike on a paved trail and side streets.

We’d prefer to stay under $1500, but can go up to $2000.

We’re looking for an electric bike for my husband and I to share. We both regularly bike, and an electric bike will help us to bike even more often. We want one that fits both of us. I prefer a low step thru.

He is 6’3 and about 300.
I’m 5’6” and about 175.

My wife and I are similar in stature to you and your husband. We looked at ebikes for 2 years before finding one we both like. We chose the Pedego Interceptor step thru :

pedego-platinum-interceptor-2.jpg
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/interceptor/

Although we both shared the bike initially as a trial, we liked it so much, we bought 2 more! We each have one with a third for friends & family.

Although the model with spoked wheels is rated at 275, Pedego makes a mag wheeled version for riders up to 400 lbs. Unfortunately, it is above your $2000 max price though.

He is 6’3 and about 300.

Since you mention that you both bike regularly, we assume that you know how to shift properly when approaching a hill.
These 2 bikes would be good candidate bikes for your husband, Size - Large.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The sizing on this website is a little off, XL might be too high for him even though it says it's appropriate.

He should also look at Juiced bikes: https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/crosscurrent-x
They have plenty of power for a person who is 300lbs. Most of the mid-drives will need significant rider input compared to something like Juiced Cross Current X.

To find a bike that would work for both you would be difficult. You will have to resort to some cargo bikes that have telescopic seatposts.

There are some good bikes for you:

My wife and I are similar in stature to you and your husband. We looked at ebikes for 2 years before finding one we both like. We chose the Pedego Interceptor step thru :

View attachment 30400
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/product/interceptor/

Although we both shared the bike initially as a trial, we liked it so much, we bought 2 more! We each have one with a third for friends & family.

Although the model with spoked wheels is rated at 275, Pedego makes a mag wheeled version for riders up to 400 lbs. Unfortunately, it is above your $2000 max price though.

Wow, love this one. As I continue to look, I really feel like we might just need to expand our price limit OR go with cheaper bikes and get two.

He is 6’3 and about 300.
I’m 5’6” and about 175.

You didn't indicate if your goal when riding the new eBike is to cruise 'around the block-ish' our will each of you do
some serious riding .

What jumped out at me was the 9" height difference between you two, and how that would affect the ultimate bike fit
to accommodate both of you, so the ride is enjoyable. If you're going to ride for distance I'm thinking a good bike
fit is going to be difficult if not impossible. If you're cruising around the block I guess It won't really matter that much ?

As for the bike and max weight capacity, my concern is stopping safely. I know it sounds trite, to me it's a big deal to me.
I've experienced some disc brake fade riding my Trek under load, minor, but enough to make me pay attention to how I ride and brake.
Nearly all of Treks eBikes are rated at 300 lbs, gross weight.... bike, rider and any cargo.

Back