Bike cradle for inside station wagon??

MinnBobber

Any suggestions for a platform/cradle to use in loading/ unloading an e-bike from the back of a station wagon/ inside? Bike would be inside the wagon, laying down in the floor.
I much prefer the safety/ security/ weather protection of carrying my e-bike inside my wagon. Getting a 60 lb bike, on its side, in and out is a pain in the a#s.

Anybody craft something like that? Would a kids plastic toboggan with a thick hunk of foam in the bottom help?
Load with toboggan leaning against bumper (lay bike into foam). Lift rear and slide the slippery plastic unit into wagon.

thanks for any ideas or suggestions or experiences

Here ya go

https://www.ridemorebikes.com/best-car-mountain-bikers/

scan trough the whole article. Maybe something will work for you.

1555329366651.png

Thanks Elliot but my bike has to lay down in the back. There is not nearly enough room to stand up, even with wheels removed.
So I'll need to use a slide in-out tray/platform to ease loading 60 lb bike.

Anyone ever crafted a helper cart ??

All I can suggest is folding pedals, but you'll probably eventually bend the derailleur doing what you propose. We did that bringing a bike home from Crazy Lenny's.

All I can suggest is folding pedals, but you'll probably eventually bend the derailleur doing what you propose. We did that bringing a bike home from Crazy Lenny's.
That's why I always lay the bike left side down, derailleur is up so it is safe.
It's just hard for one person to load 60 lb bike, laying down in back of wagon.

A kids mini-toboggan might help or ???

There are some companies that make slide out floors for trucks. Just like a kitchen cabinet slide out tray. No idea if they make them for cars. Take off the battery, seat and stem, and front tire. That will drop the weight.

I made a frame from PVC pipe, put wheels on it and use it to carry bikes in my pickup truck bed. The same principle can be used in almost any vehicle with a rear door.

Since there is no vertical clearance problem with a pickup, I carry two bikes in an upright position. You could easily lay your bike flat on a similar frame though.

P1070320a.jpg P1070323a.jpg P1070324a.jpg P1070326a.jpg

The folding legs let you pull the frame out far enough to easily load a bike.

P1070335a.jpg

To make it even easier to load, you can build a ramp to roll the bike up onto the frame and then lay it down on its side.

The PVC pipe and 8 wheels cost < $80.

Here’s what I want :
Mini-boggan / plastic sled as the base and supportive soft structure under the bike.
Anybody concocted something like this?

Bike MUST lay down. Wagon space is long and wide but not tall
Pedal in wood channel is a decent strong anchor point BUT pedal can rotate abs mess up the bikes position,

Would a thick closed cell cushion under front wheel and under back axle be stable enough?

Ideally, the sled could be positioned with front end on the back bumper and rear on ground….
roll up and lay bike, pedal into cradle, lift the rear of sled and slide into wagon with the slippery plastic sled

Attachments

• E669BBB2-0CCF-4F0B-B1BD-3C52BAE9F601.jpeg
    E669BBB2-0CCF-4F0B-B1BD-3C52BAE9F601.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 160
  • FA3894C4-F92C-4B2A-8D19-F2E657D43120.jpeg
    FA3894C4-F92C-4B2A-8D19-F2E657D43120.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 177
  • FD2F3520-53E1-4E6B-94A5-7458595461E0.jpeg
    FD2F3520-53E1-4E6B-94A5-7458595461E0.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 158
Definitely a simple, clever idea.

The design is certainly workable but a few changes might help. One plan would be to buy "egg crate" foam rubber:

Similar products are available at a cheaper price if you do a search.

Cut the squares to fit in the front and rear of the sled, leaving a gap between them for the pedal. Pile the squares and glue them together so they stick up about 4" above the side of the sled. I've had good luck with this spray adhesive but test it first to make sure it works with the foam rubber you have:

The top piece should have the "egg" projections facing up. This will create a "bed" for the bike to rest on and keep it in place. It will also protect the bike's finish.

It would help if the sled were a bit bigger. Maybe two sleds fastened together side by side or a longer one ?

More egg foam could be used to keep the sled from sliding around inside the vehicle.

Keep us posted on the project!

How about a sheet of plywood cut to size they add some bungee tie downs. Lay the bike on the plywood, bungee it down and slide it in.

Back