Bike cameras

Silvercat

Hi,
Look forward to hearing about recommendations for a decent, but not terribly expensive, handlebar camera for a Moscow Plus bike. Been checking but there are countless options.
Thank you!!

What’s your budget? My choice would be the DJI Osmo Action which is now at $200.

Most inexpensive action cameras are that way because they just aren't great. I'd recommend looking at Akaso's line-up, as they're generally a decent bang for the buck, and are starting to establish themselves as something a little more than a rando cheap brand.

AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K WiFi Action Camera - about $100 CDN

[2020 New] AKASO Brave 7 LE Dual Display - about $200 CDN

I've only seen the older Akaso V50X in action (but not attached to a bike specifically), and the image stabilization "okay" (it's about $150 CDN).

Take a look at YouTube reviews before pulling the trigger. The Brave 7 is interesting because it's mimicking some of the features found on the Osmo Action and Hero 9.

GoPro Hero 4 Session is inexpensive and well-thought of by those in the know. It lacks image stabilization which may or may not be a problem depending on how you use the camera. Like all GoPros battery life is limited.

@Silvercat scour Vancouver/Whistler Kijiji or Ebay for a used GoPro Hero 6 or > right now. The kids that got new cameras for Christmas will be listing their old tech now. You might need to stretch to $150 to get the image stabilization you want. Here's a Hero7 NOS in box for $122 or make an offer. ho ho ho

Most inexpensive action cameras are that way because they just aren't great. I'd recommend looking at Akaso's line-up, as they're generally a decent bang for the buck, and are starting to establish themselves as something a little more than a rando cheap brand.

AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K WiFi Action Camera - about $100 CDN

[2020 New] AKASO Brave 7 LE Dual Display - about $200 CDN

I've only seen the older Akaso V50X in action (but not attached to a bike specifically), and the image stabilization "okay" (it's about $150 CDN).

Take a look at YouTube reviews before pulling the trigger. The Brave 7 is interesting because it's mimicking some of the features found on the Osmo Action and Hero 9.
I bought the Akaso V50x about a month ago. It was an Amazon lighting deal, ~$70. Being my 1st action camera, I can't compare it to any others but it seems to be more than just OK. Couldn't see any reason to pay for a name as it'll do more than I'll ever need.

I bought the Akaso V50x about a month ago. It was an Amazon lighting deal, ~$70. Being my 1st action camera, I can't compare it to any others but it seems to be more than just OK. Couldn't see any reason to pay for a name as it'll do more than I'll ever need.
I wasn't knocking Akaso overall, but since the OP mentioned a handlebar mount, I figured it was worth pointing out that a handlebar mount might be a bit much for its EIS software.

Even the GoPro Hero9 and Osmo Action will have bad EIS moments (just not as many) when mounted on handlebars or other situations with high frequency vibrations.

Other than that, Akaso is definitely one of the top "budget" action cam brands, and there are other mounting options that won't pick up on those vibrations.

I wasn't knocking Akaso overall, but since the OP mentioned a handlebar mount, I figured it was worth pointing out that a handlebar mount might be a bit much for its EIS software.

Even the GoPro Hero9 and Osmo Action will have bad EIS moments (just not as many) when mounted on handlebars or other situations with high frequency vibrations.

Other than that, Akaso is definitely one of the top "budget" action cam brands, and there are other mounting options that won't pick up on those vibrations.
These are very valid points here. If you’re mounting on the bike, you’re going to need great IS. If you’re mounting on your helmet or a chest mount, you can get away with a camera with okay IS since your body is acting as suspension.

From a GoPro Hero 7 (Cattle Point Road, San Juan Island, WA):

5A5EC923-2ED2-4E54-9FE5-259441DCEE30.png

Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions...most appreciated! Tons of reviews that can cause more confusion than anything. I certainly tried to read reviews with a critical perspective. Nonetheless, that process can be exhausting!
I fully agree with comments that the less you pay, the cheaper and weaker the camera usually will be.
I am ready to order the Akaso v50 Elite for $165.00 Canadian (equivalent to about $128.00 US funds!). Thank you to our so called leader Trudope for ensuring his policies keep the Canadian dollar so damn weak!!

Anyway, has anyone had experience with that Akaso v50 Elite? Perhaps the Akaso Brave 7 is better due its reported sturdy construction, etc., ? I like the idea of voice recognition for simple commands that the Elite has. Seems like a good idea, particularly regarding safety. Keeping hands on grips while asking camera to record, etc.
I look forward to any comments before I place my order.
Thank you!!
PS. For those in the south, please send your warm, beautiful weather!

Without having hands on experience with the Brave 7, just watching reviews, the Brave 7 stabilization is smoother than the V50 series. The Brave 7 is also rated at IPX8 meaning it's weather resistant without the housing which may be the better for cycling.

If you want to see some difference in the EIS jumping, go to the 13 minute mark in this video. This is the V50 Pro not Elite but they're both using Akaso's earlier EIS software, IIRC, whereas the Brave is their second generation "6 axis" EIS
Akaso Brave 7 LE Vs. Akaso V50 Pro - YouTube

I think you'd be happy either way, but I'd personally give the edge to the Brave 7 LE for the water resistance and stabilization for bike use.

Without having hands on experience with the Brave 7, just watching reviews, the Brave 7 stabilization is smoother than the V50 series. The Brave 7 is also rated at IPX8 meaning it's weather resistant without the housing which may be the better for cycling.

If you want to see some difference in the EIS jumping, go to the 13 minute mark in this video. This is the V50 Pro not Elite but they're both using Akaso's earlier EIS software, IIRC, whereas the Brave is their second generation "6 axis" EIS
Akaso Brave 7 LE Vs. Akaso V50 Pro - YouTube

I think you'd be happy either way, but I'd personally give the edge to the Brave 7 LE for the water resistance and stabilization for bike use.
Thank you! I finally have decided to buy a Go Pro 7 Black...an extra $180.00 (camera and 1 battery only) but likely well worth it in the long run. Seems that 7 model is rated better than their 8 or current 9 models that of course costs much more.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions...most appreciated!
Stay safe!

Thank you! I finally have decided to buy a Go Pro 7 Black...an extra $180.00 (camera and 1 battery only) but likely well worth it in the long run. Seems that 7 model is rated better than their 8 or current 9 models that of course costs much more.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions...most appreciated!
Stay safe!

Did you end up paying more than what the DJI Osmo Action costs? Just curious.

Did you end up paying more than what the DJI Osmo Action costs? Just curious.

I'd like to thank you for the suggestion - looking at the links and a few other reviews, the osmo matches MY needs. I like the way it has a replaceable lens cover, plus it seems to correct some of the barrel distortion go pro produce. When it arrives I'll try and work out if lens filters / adapters can fit to produce a zoom like effect - I hate the way wide angle video distorts steep trails ( not enough to risk using a proper camera ...but enough to have stopped me buying an action camera until now )

Added bonus, it was 3/4 retail due to boxing day sales. ( and less than 60% of the price of a hero 8)

Last edited:
I'd like to thank you for the suggestion - looking at the links and a few other reviews, the osmo matches MY needs. I like the way it has a replaceable lens cover, plus it seems to correct some of the barrel distortion go pro produce. When it arrives I'll try and work out if lens filters / adapters can fit to produce a zoom like effect - I hate the way wide angle video distorts steep trails ( not enough to risk using a proper camera ...but enough to have stopped me buying an action camera until now )

Added bonus, it was 3/4 retail due to boxing day sales.
Nice! It’s such a great camera at the current price.

Back