Beware BafangUSADirect

junior1954

I purchased a charger from BafangUSADirect/Ebike Essentials for my 48 volt battery that's designed to charge to 80%, 90% and 100% capacity (as charging to less than 100% extends battery life). The charger I received doesn't turn off, hitting 88% before I unplugged it when set to 80%. Both the charger's voltage meter and the voltage meter on my bike showed identical readings at 88%. I contacted BafangUSADirect's customer service department to obtain repair or replacement service and was told that since I hadn't purchased my motor or battery from them (I own a Bolton/Area 13 Sabre) they couldn't guarantee compatibility with their charger! Please understand that voltage is voltage-to deny responsibility for their charger's malfunction is tantamount to denying the laws of physics! I guess now it's time to start disputing the charge with my credit card company. BEWARE BafangUSADirect/Ebike Essentials!

Last edited:
I purchased a charger from BafangUSADirect/Ebike Essentials for my 48 volt battery that's designed to charge to 80%, 90% and 100% capacity (as charging to less than 100% extends battery life). The charger I received doesn't turn off, hitting 88% before I unplugged it when set to 80%. Both the charger's voltage meter and the voltage meter on my bike showed identical readings at 88%. I contacted BafangUSADirect's customer service department to obtain repair or replacement service and was told that since I hadn't purchased my motor or battery from them (I own a Bolton/Area 13 Sabre) they couldn't guarantee compatibility with their charger! Please understand that voltage is voltage-to deny responsibility for their charger's malfunction is tantamount to denying the laws of physics! I guess now it's time to start disputing the charge with my credit card company. BEWARE BafangUSADirect/Ebike Essentials!
Bafang USA has no more relationship with Bafang than an other USA reseller. There url leads people to believe they are Bafang but they are a scam. And those chargers like Luna(tics) have a high failure rate.

Bafang USA has no more relationship with Bafang than an other USA reseller. There url leads people to believe they are Bafang but they are a scam. And those chargers like Luna(tics) have a high failure rate.
I'm surprised Bafang doesn't sue for copywrite infringement. I wouldn't want a company like BafangUSADirect tarnishing my name.

I'm surprised Bafang doesn't sue for copywrite infringement. I wouldn't want a company like BafangUSADirect tarnishing my name.
Right idea, but in this case it would be trademark. But trademark infringement claims can get to be tricky too, and expensive. Probably not enough at stake for Bafang, the true one, to do something.

Right idea, but in this case it would be trademark. But trademark infringement claims can get to be tricky too, and expensive. Probably not enough at stake for Bafang, the true one, to do something.
Proof Bafang has no motivation to chase a vendor. They just like $$$ money. B USA direct likely sells significant numbers of kits.

I tried many times from early 2015 to get serial numbers and firmware versions. A pitch to deaf ears.

I might have the same charger but my bike is 52 volt. I purchased it from them and mine works and it turns off. Does yours turn off at full charge? I know I'll ruffle some feathers but some times you want the full charge unless you want to go 20% less distance. I did 63.0 miles today and I'm glad I had that extra bit. Relax have a beer, everything is groovy, I hope.

Last edited:
In 2017 I had a guy purchase from them thinking it was legit. I had purchase one earlier and it was fine. He was old, infirm, starting to lose cognitive abilities, timing and balance. They sent him a 'free upgrade' motor. The bike wanted to burn rubber and do wheelies.

A repost.

Bafang USA appears to be an arm of Bafang corporate. In fact they are just another reseller.

this letter from Bafang rep,

Bafang hereby declares that www.bafang-e.com is the one and only official website of BaFang Electric (SuZhou) Co.,Ltd.. Any other non-official websites with the word "bafang" in the url (e.g. www.bafange.com, www.bafangusadirect.com, etc.) has nothing to do with our company.

Bafang is not responsible for any problems resulting from any repair parts that are bought on these non-official websites instead of our Bafang official website, and does not provide any after-sales service. Bafang have already received complaints from customers saying that the goods they ordered from these non-official websites are not delivered after the payment, or wrong goods are delivered.

Bafang kindly reminds customers to be more vigilant. Feel free to forward this email to all your customers/dealers in order to reduce the probability of being deceived. If you have any questions, please find attached the statement for your reference.

Please also find the contact info below as the only official portal in the US for Bafang after-sales service. If you have any technical questions, please scan the WeChat QR code attached for a direct conversation with us. Bafang will reply you within 24 hours.

Johnny Qin / Techincal Support Executive
Bafang Science Inc.

Best regards,
Johnny Qin

I thought eBike Essentials was a Bafang arm when I ordered but found out later that they weren't. I'm not saying that you should buy from them or you shouldn't. But these were the facts regarding my purchase:
1. They say they stock all the parts in the US. Mine were shipped from LA with tracking number.
2. The website tells you if an item is out of stock. No lies like from Chinese sellers.
3. My complete motor and battery kit including the charger was shipped right away like they said. I think I took delivery about 5 days after placing my order and that was 2000 miles away and during Covid. Most bike batteries were unobtanium at the time.
4. The installation instructions could be better but the customer service was prompt and you could tell that english was their first language.

I would buy from them again but hopefully this bike will outlive me.

I thought eBike Essentials was a Bafang arm when I ordered but found out later that they weren't. I'm not saying that you should buy from them or you shouldn't. But these were the facts regarding my purchase:
1. They say they stock all the parts in the US. Mine were shipped from LA with tracking number.
2. The website tells you if an item is out of stock. No lies like from Chinese sellers.
3. My complete motor and battery kit including the charger was shipped right away like they said. I think I took delivery about 5 days after placing my order and that was 2000 miles away and during Covid. Most bike batteries were unobtanium at the time.
4. The installation instructions could be better but the customer service was prompt and you could tell that english was their first language.

I would buy from them again but hopefully this bike will outlive me.
With proper shifting, if it's a bbs02b or bbs01b. And good maintenance. Yearly check on lubrication. If it were me I'd stash a few model-specific motor repair parts.

01B and 02B can be unreliable if you lug those motors by starting from a dead stop without having shifted into a gear you'd normally use if pedaling. 1st through 3rd. Taking off in 4th and up will really stress the motor.

Taking off in 4th and up will really stress the motor.
Again and again so many newbies lug the motor and don't shift. They put it in high gear. Leave it there and use the throttle. Remember that guy complaining with the new Sondors Ultra? You wouldn't do that to your brother-in-law's Porsche! They just do not know how to ride a bike.

Back