Best U Lock for Giant LaFree +1 Bike?

nmrider

My husband and I just purchased two Giant LaFree +1 bikes. We bought 33" folding locks, but decided we should get a U Lock. We'll probably keep the folding locks to use on the front of the bike. We plan to ride in many different types of places -- trails, towns and possibly cities. I know the U Lock is supposed to have a tight fit, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best size. Two locks we're currently looking at are (1) Kryptonite NY Std Heavy Duty U Lock (8" inch interior length) and (2) Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboutit Mini U Lock (6" interior length). Does anyone have any suggestions?

you want better go for abus abus u lock. it really depends on how long you are leaving your bike. a high end folding lock works well. having a low bar I find a chain works well too.

ABUS is actually the brand of folding locks we purchased (ABUS Bordo Lite 6055, length 85 cm). It's only rated by ABUS as a security level 7/15, though; the ABUS Granit XPlus U Lock that you mentioned is rated 15/15. The ABUS U lock received very good reviews on Amazon, so maybe we'll go with ABUS instead of Kryptonite. Do you recommend their lock with inner length of 9" or 5.5"? Thanks for your help!

I use the OnGuard Brute U-lock #8001 with a high security rating and seems quite reliable. It is very well priced for the market. I also use the same brand in a titanium oval shaped link that is also quite reliable as well. Satisfied customer for both of these locks.

When in Nyc below 59st., i use the Abus wheel disk lock 7/15 , Granite Moto U lock (250$) sec. Rating 20, the Granite 6500 Bordo -15/15 and the Abus granit xtreme plus 59- 15/15. Plenty of work for a proffesional Thief to quit and move on to another one..
And it also has the Abus nuts for front wheel and seatpost.

My system gets a Total of 57 security points. Plus 2 internally mounted 4G Gps devices.
I know too many people who had their ebikes or motorcycles stolen, some from in front of their house...

That’s about 800$ worth of locks and sec. devices for a 6000$ ebike. A wifi external camera mounted on a pole with wifi signal from the Gps is another option.
In Chinatown , Bk or Quenns i use the Parking garages only. And Locked of course .

Last edited:
I like how the abus lots work compared the the kryptonite.
I have locking skewers for the wheels and seat. but I don't leave my bike out much just short trips in a store. I was use a abus chain and a really nice abus lock. Now I use them at home.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 428
Back