Best Tire Width?

Engine44

Region
Europe
I am interested in Big Ben tires. I would like either a 2" or 1-1/2" width. What would be the pluses and minuses of each? Thanks.

Some basics: In general, wider tires "float" and give better stability on soft, loose surfaces like sand or mud. They also give a slightly better ride on hard surfaces. Narrower tires have less drag and will give more miles per charge. It really depends on where you ride as to which is better. The main trade off is comfort & stability over better mileage and ease of pedaling. IMO, The difference between 1 1/2" and 2" tires will hardly be noticeable with an e-bike.

Instead of the Schwalbe Big Ben's, take a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They are much more puncture resistant. My three bikes came from the dealer with Big Ben's and after the third flat, I switched to the Marathons. No flats since.

Some basics: In general, wider tires "float" and give better stability on soft, loose surfaces like sand or mud. They also give a slightly better ride on hard surfaces. Narrower tires have less drag and will give more miles per charge. It really depends on where you ride as to which is better. The main trade off is comfort & stability over better mileage and ease of pedaling. IMO, The difference between 1 1/2" and 2" tires will hardly be noticeable with an e-bike.

Instead of the Schwalbe Big Ben's, take a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They are much more puncture resistant. My three bikes came from the dealer with Big Ben's and after the third flat, I switched to the Marathons. No flats since.
Thanks. I am mostly an urban rider. I chose Big Ben because I want a brown tire. I hope that with Slime inside, they'll be ok.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am mostly an urban rider. I chose Big Ben because I want a brown tire.
Those 2" Big Bens are nice. An avid rider just took out five bikes with different tire types and wants those for his next build. Here they are in black.

Attachments

• PublicV7Brake01.JPG
    PublicV7Brake01.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 148
I see that you had asked about flat protection. Given factors such as weight and rolling resistance, cleanliness, lack of slosh, and what you are likely to encounter, use tire liners. I saw a video where they drilled tires. But, you are not likely to encounter a highspeed drill bit. Liquid sloshes - it is like putting in sand. Foam inserts compress to the thickness of a credit card. Goo makes a big mess.

Thanks. I am mostly an urban rider. I chose Big Ben because I want a brown tire. I hope that with Slime inside, they'll be ok.
The Big Ben Plus tire has more flat protection but it isn't available in brown. At the very least, consider using Schwalbe Downhill heavy duty tubes and add Slime.
Better yet, add Tanus Armor liners and you'll be about as flat proof as you can get.

If your bike is a rear hub drive, changing a rear flat on the road can be tricky. A tip some of us here use is to carry a Gaadi style (blunt ended) tube which can be used to replace a punctured tube without removing the rear wheel.

The Big Ben Plus tire has more flat protection but it isn't available in brown. At the very least, consider using Schwalbe Downhill heavy duty tubes and add Slime.
Better yet, add Tanus Armor liners and you'll be about as flat proof as you can get.

If your bike is a rear hub drive, changing a rear flat on the road can be tricky. A tip some of us here use is to carry a Gaadi style (blunt ended) tube which can be used to replace a punctured tube without removing the rear wheel.
This is what those emergency hub-drive tubes look like, sorry it is 20", they come in many sizes.

Attachments

• BluntEndTube.jpg
    BluntEndTube.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 157

I ride green guard marathons. The issue I had with M.+ was the tread portion was too rigid for the sidewalls which
were inclined to distort. Given my size, this probly would not be an issue for lighter riders, but it was very
annoying for me. I´ve never had a flat on marathons or marathon mondials, but the mondials were a bit
squirrelly until broken in, yet are very durable. (currently on 700c x 50 = 28´ x 2.00´ at 70 psi.)

Last edited:
I've 2 ebikes with big ben 2.75x 2.15 (green guard). Tires are on rear of both bikes and they've done 3000km each, should be good for 5000kms. No punctures but lot of cuts and odd bits of embedded glass.
Also have 2.0 on another bike and there is considerable difference in volume of tires alot more than 0.15 implies. Run 2.15s if you have clearance.
Just swapped one out for Johnny Watts as I want more offroad traction. In dry never had problem with BBs, but I was only trekking not doing technical MTB trails.

I'm swapping my cheap OEM 26x2.125 tires over to better quality 26x2.2. They were as close to the original width I could find. I hope the new tires clear my fenders. I'll post a review when I get the tires installed. Now waiting on fancy leather mud flaps.

Last edited:
Back