Best mid-drive mtn bike under $2500?

Thanks Bob. My thought exactly. For my narrow criteria, it seems to be the perfect candidate. Unfortunately it's not here yet and therefore not real yet.
Are you sure you don't want a full suspension emtb? With a motor, you'll spend a lot more time riding, and hardtails take a toll. And if you add aftermarket seat suspension to provide much-needed comfort, that will add a couple hundred $.

Take a look at this 2017 500w fs Yamaha Haibike (no throttle though). It's a deal on sale for $2800 (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

@John from Connecticut I checked out the Giant E+ bike since I recently learned I may need the torque of a mid-drive to make the ascent home. I didn't see the W rating for the mid-drive motor. Giant only mentions it has 80Nm of torque. Any idea what size motor?

@John from Connecticut I checked out the Giant E+ bike since I recently learned I may need the torque of a mid-drive to make the ascent home. I didn't see the W rating for the mid-drive motor. Giant only mentions it has 80Nm of torque. Any idea what size motor?

Hello PCDoctor,

I'm not familiar with the Giant Explorer E+ . I called my LBS, where I've done business asking for an ebike
fitting Kurt's requirements. They suggested the Giant Explorer E+ .

Thanks,
John From CT

Hello PCDoctor,

I'm not familiar with the Giant Explorer E+ . I called my LBS, where I've done business asking for an ebike
fitting Kurt's requirements. They suggested the Giant Explorer E+ .

Thanks,
John From CT
Thanks for the response. There's a Giant dealer in Honolulu that I'm going to check out this weekend to see if they have one in-stock or can at least answer my question regarding the mid-drive motor.

Hi. This is where I saw it. Courts review. Somewhere in the middle of this video
Yeah, I saw this. My guess is that the Navigator may not be ready for Production, which would explain why it hasn't been added to their website. I may contact them directly. Thanks again.

Yeah, I saw this. My guess is that the Navigator may not be ready for Production, which would explain why it hasn't been added to their website. I may contact them directly. Thanks again.

Seems like Magnum bikes are beginning to grow in popularity. They have a nice price point on their bikes and their scooters look RAD as well and quality built IMHO. The Navigator is a nice addition to their current line of bikes.

The 80Nm unit would have to be the PW-X drive:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Rated at 250 Watts, max 500 W.

The PW drive is also 250/500 W, at 70Nm. It's not just different programming, it's a different unit than the X.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Don't get too caught up in watt hype. I've ridden the PW and it's very capable. I wouldn't hesitate to own either, if it was on the right bike for me.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but i just got back from the Giant dealer and the Explore E+ is being sold at full MSRP of $2400, but LBS offered to knock off 10%. It's powered by a 400W Yamaha mid-drive motor. Tires are 29s with aggressive tread so I'd want to change those out for street commuting. Nice looking bike, but still concerned whether it can climb my hill.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but i just got back from the Giant dealer and the Explore E+ is being sold at full MSRP of $2400, but LBS offered to knock off 10%. It's powered by a 400W Yamaha mid-drive motor. Tires are 29s with aggressive tread so I'd want to change those out for street commuting. Nice looking bike, but still concerned whether it can climb my hill.
Just so no one gets confused. The bike has a 400 watt hour battery, powering a 250 watt nominal, 500 watt peak Yamaha mid drive motor.

I had a feeling I was being told peak output and not nominal. I didn't have a chance to test it, but might go back next week. Regretfully, no hills near the LBS.

I am also looking at Giant and will test one soon. Also had a long talk with a local lbs about them. Great guy.
Was also struck by how narrow and thin the lbs inventory was. Of the hundreds of bikes, they had.2 ebikes in stock, both Giant. When I asked why he didn't have more... and my interest in say "Magnum", he said Giant restricted who he could bring in. Also sited that ebikes are still not hot here (CT), and the high cost of them...

My point is, it's a pain to have to shop around so much. No central aspect to this search what so ever!

Still real curious to see the Magnum Navigator discussed earlier.

Are you sure you don't want a full suspension emtb? With a motor, you'll spend a lot more time riding, and hardtails take a toll. And if you add aftermarket seat suspension to provide much-needed comfort, that will add a couple hundred $.

Take a look at this 2017 500w fs Yamaha Haibike (no throttle though). It's a deal on sale for $2800 (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Thank you Mister. Good looking bike!
Actually vacillating on the throttle subject. Somebody recently told me that just having it on the bike will open me up to potential scrutiny on a trail. I'm also not really needing it, More just for fun occasionally.

Just so no one gets confused. The bike has a 400 watt hour battery, powering a 250 watt nominal, 500 watt peak Yamaha mid drive motor.
You're correct. The salesman told me wrong. Regretfully, this is my second experience with a different LBS not knowing their ebikes. Frustrating. And I'm going to let them do the warranty work?

Just to put a bit of a conclusion on the string I started here, I bought a bike this week. It's funny, sometimes something just clicks, and you know it's right for you. I pulled the trigger instantly after my final test ride.

First thing it became clear to me is that I was definitely going buy a bike from a LBS. I want that support. Once that determination was made, the choices became much more narrow. Staying under $2500, still going for some stealth, and considering all the other things on my wish list. And the Magnum Navigator that I was waiting for... well I found out that that will not be coming out till at least July, if not the end of the summer. Not waiting for that!

So I n my price range, the choices that were closest to my criteria and that I had access to were the Giant Explore, and Magnum Peak.
I test rode both of them. Both are wonderful bikes. But when I test-rode the Peak, it was game over. The power, 28mph pas speed, looks, knobby tires, throttle option, 24 gears, great display, 6 speed option, and $400 less... I was hooked. The only thing I didn't get that I was looking for is the mid-drive. The Peak has a rear hub. But for my purposes, I don't think it's going to make one bit of difference. As I said, the bike was incredibly responsive, so I'm completely at peace.

Time to start my new electric journey! Will see you elsewhere on this forum! Appreciate all your thoughts.

Just to put a bit of a conclusion on the string I started here, I bought a bike this week. It's funny, sometimes something just clicks, and you know it's right for you. I pulled the trigger instantly after my final test ride.

First thing it became clear to me is that I was definitely going buy a bike from a LBS. I want that support. Once that determination was made, the choices became much more narrow. Staying under $2500, still going for some stealth, and considering all the other things on my wish list. And the Magnum Navigator that I was waiting for... well I found out that that will not be coming out till at least July, if not the end of the summer. Not waiting for that!

So I n my price range, the choices that were closest to my criteria and that I had access to were the Giant Explore, and Magnum Peak.
I test rode both of them. Both are wonderful bikes. But when I test-rode the Peak, it was game over. The power, 28mph pas speed, looks, knobby tires, throttle option, 24 gears, great display, 6 speed option, and $400 less... I was hooked. The only thing I didn't get that I was looking for is the mid-drive. The Peak has a rear hub. But for my purposes, I don't think it's going to make one bit of difference. As I said, the bike was incredibly responsive, so I'm completely at peace.

Time to start my new electric journey! Will see you elsewhere on this forum! Appreciate all your thoughts.

Kurt-Congrats on your new purchase. Looks like a good choice. I have always had a good /positive feeling about Magnum bikes. I was in the same pair of shoes during purchase: Do I buy now or wait. I did not wait and also did not look back. Best decision to buy now, and not wait for the Navigator, even though it looks like a great pick also. Enjoy your new bike this season!!

Kurt-Congrats on your new purchase. Looks like a good choice. I have always had a good /positive feeling about Magnum bikes. I was in the same pair of shoes during purchase: Do I buy now or wait. I did not wait and also did not look back. Best decision to buy now, and not wait for the Navigator, even though it looks like a great pick also. Enjoy your new bike this season!!
Thanks Bob. Just waiting for some descent weather now! I'm like a kid with a new toy. Crazy.. Took one ride around the block yesterday.

Back