Best Electric Bikes Under $1000?

Zeayo

I'm currently looking for an Electric Bike to use as transportation to work. I would be biking around 7 miles a day. Looking to order online.

The bike I currently have in my Amazon cart waiting to buy is an ANCHEER Electric Mountain Bike for $620 (Just went up from $600...) and it goes up to 15mph, possibly 18mph according to some reviewers.

I'm willing to spend more, but I can't seem to find the right bike that has good reviews, is under the $1000 mark (Really wouldn't want to spend more than $900 but if it's worth it to spend the extra money I will do it.), and goes 20mph or more.

Basically I'm looking for an Electric Mountain Bike that goes 20mph or more (higher the speed the better), doesn't look ridiculous, and is a good bang for the buck. Any suggestions?

I'm currently looking for an Electric Bike to use as transportation to work. I would be biking around 7 miles a day. Looking to order online.

The bike I currently have in my Amazon cart waiting to buy is an ANCHEER Electric Mountain Bike for $620 (Just went up from $600...) and it goes up to 15mph, possibly 18mph according to some reviewers.

I'm willing to spend more, but I can't seem to find the right bike that has good reviews, is under the $1000 mark (Really wouldn't want to spend more than $900 but if it's worth it to spend the extra money I will do it.), and goes 20mph or more.

Basically I'm looking for an Electric Mountain Bike that goes 20mph or more (higher the speed the better), doesn't look ridiculous, and is a good bang for the buck. Any suggestions?

You may regret your decision to purchase sight unseen if you encounter a problem sometime down the line.
What bikes have you tried? That should dictate your search process..

Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent AIR for $1095 plus free shipping, it's a mountain bike that can get up to 28mph. The 8.8ah battery would be enough for your commute. Court reviewed it recently and placed it on his Editors Choice list for Best Affordable electric bikes for 2016/2017. Currently it is sold out in medium and large size but they're taking orders for delivery in May.

Last edited:
Have you checked out Populo Bikes yet? The Populo Sport is $999 and great overall value. This bike is meant for riders that don't mind a sportier and less comfortable ride, but want an electric bike that is light and inexpensive.
Check out www.populo.com

This is certainly one of the sweet spots with respect to price. I have not ridden the Ancheer or talked with an owner myself, but I am familiar with a number of other models around the $1,000 price point. Before deciding, take a look at the X-Treme X-Cursion ($899), Joulvert Playa Journey ($995), Green Bike USA GB1 ($S1,049) and the Emojo Lynx ($1,099). And don't hesitate to call if you would like to discuss more options. Steve 805-881-3365 :)

I think the best eBike Under $1000 is one that you build. A 750 watt mid drive kit with a Panasonic lithium battery for $750 can't be beat, just find a nice $250 donor Mountain Bike. If you want a better bike in a couple of years, move the kit over. If you decide later that you want even more power you can upgrade the motor to 1000 watts. To make the build easy take the donor bike to your local bike shop and have them remove the bottom bracket cartridge. I'm in the mist of doing this with my old box-store mountain bike so our daughter can keep up with us on our expensive 350 watt ebikes. The only problem I see is that we may not be able to keep up with her.

Sondors X fat with 7-speed shimano upgrade. Comes with 500w 48v 17aH battery, best deal for around $1000

I regret to say I've purchased an Ancheer electric mountain bike from (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). Here's my review:
--
DO NOT buy this ebike! Especially do not buy it from CNDirect. I my experience, CNDirect ships expensive, bad quality products that break in 2 weeks. Their idea of customer support is to offer you $30 restitution for the $600 you paid for your product when it breaks. They will "try" to help you fix it, ask you to wait, then when your patience runs out, they say you cannot return it because they've stalled you longer than the 30 day return period. All the bike shops I've taken this ebike to say it needs a new controller to function. However, neither the manufacturer nor the seller are able to provide a replacement part.
My interactions with CNDirect have now included dozens of emails with videos and photos of the problem, and they just continue to suggest I get it repaired at a bike shop. I've taken it to three bike shops at this point, and no one can fix it without the new controller.
In summary: this is a $600 pile of garbage, but the headache of dealing with customer service for no result is very painful, so perfect ebike for the self-loathing masochist. You have been warned.
--
There are a lot of youtube videos that make this look like an attractive option, and perhaps it works for some. My experience has been spectacularly awful so far.

I do agee with Fredi. One can build a nice bike using kit motors, and it gives some people enough experience that they can maintain it. However, in most cases one can spend more than what an inexpensive ebike will cost, and one may not have components that are any better. My first ebike cost around $500 for motor/battery and while it is no world beater on performance at 18 mph, no better than the Ancheer, it has been reliable. The Luna deal of$750 for a BBS02/battery, actually more like $850 after you add a charger and shipping, is pretty reasonable too. You get a better performing bike with a full time throttle.

A generic controller for that Ancheer, by the way, is less than $50 on ebay, but since its connectors won't match up, there's a lot of wiring work.

This is certainly one of the sweet spots with respect to price. I have not ridden the Ancheer or talked with an owner myself, but I am familiar with a number of other models around the $1,000 price point. Before deciding, take a look at the X-Treme X-Cursion ($899), Joulvert Playa Journey ($995), Green Bike USA GB1 ($S1,049) and the Emojo Lynx ($1,099). And don't hesitate to call if you would like to discuss more options. Steve 805-881-3365 :)
i have the 2018 x-treme x-cursion, with a 14 mile daily commute (to and from) depending on how you ride you would be pretty borderline, shouldn't be a problem but you will arrive home with 1 bar, so for that option best to plug in at work if you can. it should do it, i wouldn't rely on it. if you pedal the whole way it will do it twice.

As a rule don't ever buy an ebike from Amazon, unless you have demo'd the exact same model.. There are all kinds of low volume sellers from China, with no history, and the 6 positive reviews you'll read seem like very generic put up jobs.

If you've never ridden an ebike you should demo one before you buy anything...

I heard there are some e-bike brands offering up some pretty big discounts. Some folding electric bikes out there are really lightweight and powerful.

I heard there are some e-bike brands offering up some pretty big discounts. Some folding electric bikes out there are really lightweight and powerful.
Just a suggestion Sally, watch the dates on the posts. Someone looking for a bike in early April would usually not benefit from discounts in early September.

Go to the Discussions By Brand section...pick a brand that has thousands of posts. These are the proven bargains.

As others have said, stay away from Ancheer. I looked at these in the beginning and people try to get rid of them within weeks or months because of issues. For that amount, Juiced Bikes, volt bike or Sondors would be a much better choice. For me, I started out thinking 1k and ended up spending 2300 but its been worth it.

25% import tariff was imposed August 23, and it’s going to make it more difficult to find a decent ebike for under $1,000. Rad Power bikes announced a $200 price increase and it’s just a matter of time before the rest of the budget market shifts its baseline prices up.

I can add the same mindset. I tried twice on Amazon after taking a lot of time researching. The first choice flopped and they refunded my money. The second purchase I tried, got shipped out and I followed the tracking for almost two weeks and then it showed delivered to an Ohio address. I live in Ny! So they said they made a mistake and didn't have any left in stock. This wasn't just one bike,it was two, one for myself and one for my wife.
So after total discouragment I decided staying under 1000 ea was leaving me with bottom feeder manufacturers that were shaky at best. I was done with Amazon.
After more weeks of research I started honing in on the X-treme brand of ebikes. I was so discouraged by my previous attempts that I gravitated to their better offerings. I had been hoping for at least a 36v model but as it turned out they had just switched some models to 48v systems.
Even better than that I discovered a Dealer (Eric at farbike.com. He has a dealership in Florida and I was able to get direct answers to my questions. The best part is that I was able to order both bikes through him which gave me much more security.
We purchased two of the Sedona 48v models with full suspension since we ride mostly rail trails. I am almost certain that even if we had gotten the cheaper ones on Amazon we would have lost interest quickly because of the more limited range and no real suspension. Then we would have had a completely different impression.
The Sedona has front and rear suspension and the front forks are not just a spring fork, it uses fluid and fork seals so better quality than some. It has 5 levels of assist plus a throttle.
We have only had one thing I thought we might need repaired because my wife's was making a clicking noise near the rear wheel. Eric at Farbike concurred with me that the ratchet mechanism for the rear sprockets was making the noise. He immediately had the company send me one, no charge, for warranty. Instantly I felt good about my purchase decision. As it turned out while I was waiting for the part (less than a week) I tried using some light oil at all the spoke connections and where they contact each other and boom, the sound went away. So two pieces of good news here, one warranty coverage was easy and quick, and two there really wasn't anything wrong with the bike!
So to summarize I did end up spending 1599 each for our bikes but I could not be happier. We have over 740 miles on them now and zero issues. We love our bikes and ride every chance we get. Our vacations now revolve around our ebike adventures.

Pricing from US retailers is quite variable in the budget market depending on what the customer needs and is prepared to pay for. As an example the TailG TDN156Z a typical Chinese budget Class 2 ebike with an aluminum frame, 48v lithium battery, pretty basic with drum brakes but a step above their heavy lead acid battery models, price for a container load on Alibaba say $300 per unit plus shipping from China retails for $950 in New York from a cash and carry retailer who mostly sells out the door to food delivery riders who may expect to have it stolen or impounded within 6 months, same bike is $1,500 from a Miami retailer who add a rack seat and skirt guard and market it as a family ebike, presumably with the new import tariffs the price from both US sellers will go up 25% of the Chinese wholesale price, but the retail price increase may vary between the sellers as the NY retailer is in a highly competitive market.

Last edited:
Back