Best Electric Bike? I know it’s an opinion question, but I’m really new to electric bikes.

Take a look at a ET Cycle T1000. They are in your price range, they are built well, they have good components and they have a great battery that will last for long rides.

Yes I own one and I am not saying they are the best bike out there. But they are a good solid bike that is not over priced. Worth a look.

Bruce

Not a fan of fat tires unless you need them. Do not buy them because they "look cool". I find them hard to justify unless you are riding in deep sugar sand or snow frequently.

I AM a fan of RAD, and for paved/hard surfaces, including some trail, I'd suggest the newest RAD City. Comes step through or step over.

A LOT of people struggle with the first e-bike purchase, out of concern that's it's not going to work out well for them and it's going to end up collecting dust in a dark corners somewhere. With a RAD bike, worst case is the bike won't work out for you and you'll have one of the most popular bike brands there is for sale. That sale will be for top dollar, and it will happen very easily. Same thing if it works out so well you want a nicer bike a couple years down the road. Rad has about the best resale of any bike available.
Makes since. Thank you.
I learned something new. I thought the fat tires would be much better on the trails over the RAD City tires. Great news! Thank you.

There is no one eBike fit for all styles of riding and non are the best. The ones that come the closest for me are Bosch mid drive powered. I want a bicycle, not a scooter. I want a torque sensor and not a throttle. I want a legal eBike and not a motorcycle. If you get 50 answers, you will get 60 opinions. The only way to fully understand the ride, is to ride. Asking opinions and reading internet sales propaganda will only confuse you. The world is gaga over fat tire folding 20" eBikes. I detest them. So go to an eBike shop and ride, even if it involves the entire weekend to get there and back. It's really the only good way to find out what is best for you

Good advice. Unfortunately, the bike shops around my area don’t have many eBikes. Maybe I’ll drive a little and find some to test ride.

Last edited:
Here’s a few more ideas to consider while you are planning your purchase. These accessories will complicate your budget somewhat.

Very important for safety:
- Bright butt-kicking lights, even if you don’t ride at night. So many distracted drivers out there so it’s be to be seen as far away as possible, even during the day. Many ebikes already have them.
- A good mirror. Once you have one, you will always need one. Imagine driving without a mirror. Same idea when cycling.

Other stuff :
- A pack for your stuff.
- A lock. Maybe a gps tracker?
etc. etc. This could be a very long list 🚴🏾‍♂️😊🚴🏼‍♀️

I also stand behind Rad Power being a great value. I recently purchased my old RadRunner back after selling it. I like the 20" wheel size myself. 5'10" and 220lbs. Fits me great and is a step-thru.

I’m new to ebikes myself and just made the journey you are starting. I bought a Momentum Vida E+ at a big discount at a local bike shop after test riding 15 ebikes. If ebikes are new to you, I strongly suggest that you ride as many as you can so you get an idea of what you really like and what you don’t. I ended up with a very different bike than I first thought I wanted because I experienced the bikes before purchasing one. I pick my baby up tomorrow. I wish you good luck with your quest and hope that enjoy what you get for a very long time. Keep us posted.

I’m new to ebikes myself and just made the journey you are starting. I bought a Momentum Vida E+ at a big discount at a local bike shop after test riding 15 ebikes. If ebikes are new to you, I strongly suggest that you ride as many as you can so you get an idea of what you really like and what you don’t. I ended up with a very different bike than I first thought I wanted because I experienced the bikes before purchasing one. I pick my baby up tomorrow. I wish you good luck with your quest and hope that enjoy what you get for a very long time. Keep us posted.
Thank you.

Back