Best ebike for commute w/variable terrain

Bunny Hand

Hello! I'm moving back to Austin, TX from SE Asia. I sold my car when we left and would prefer not to get a new one and opt for an ebike instead. I'd like to get a used bike that can withstand street riding, gravel (like the Hike & Bike Trail), as well as actual trail riding (although this last one is optional).

I can't decide if I should go for a mountain bike? Or if a standard city/commuter bike will do ok with a little bit of light off roading. Any experience with this? Also, if I go with a mountain bike should I choose full suspension or hard tail? From my little knowledge on this I'd assume that full suspension might be overkill, but I could definitely be wrong.

Other preferences include pedal assist and small frame (I'm 5'2). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have two his/her 4" fat tire Radrover I use for work commuting, weekend fun rides, vacations, and trail riding for about 45-75 miles per week (around +1300 miles each since Sept/2016). Very inexpensive Class II bike at $1500 with plenty of power at 750w rear hub motor, 7 speeds, PAS 0-5, throttle, front suspension, and 20 mph top speed. Volt or Teo also make fat tire ebikes in the same price range with about the same capabilities if your used ebike price range is around the same price. The same ebike companies also have folding mini or city only ebikes around the same price range.

What I learned after getting back into biking after a +20 year break was:
- Keep the bike in the Class I or Class II range (PAS w/ or w/o throttle, 750w max motor, 20 mph max). Class III bikes have a top speed of around 28 mph and most often don't have a throttle. There seems to be more restrictions with Class III bikes depending on local laws because of their top speeds (young age restriction, helmet, sometimes registration as motor vehicle, no Class III ebikes on bike/hike trails, etc...). So far, Class I & II bike are allowed everywhere a regular bike is allowed EXCEPT where posted to target ebikes.

- I love having a throttle! I use it pick up speed quickly to get across intersection, to help get started on inclines, a little extra power to maintain my speed for short inclines, used it to push my +65lbs Radrover up 2 flights of stairs, or when my pedals might hit obstacles or hit the ground on tight turns if I pedal. I even used the throttle when my left pedal crank fell off and I used the throttle to get home instead of pushing the bike 3 miles up hill.

- Rack mounting points. Some full suspension bikes don't have rack mounting points or you have to attach a floating rack arm to the seatpost.

- Front suspension. You can really increase your avg speed on an ebike and you will feel every bump more and that will wear on you after a while without a front suspension

- Add suspension seat post like Suntour, Thudbuster, or bodyfloat are top choices.

- Brakes. Disc brakes seem to be standard. I like 180mm size since ebikes are sometimes 2X the weight of regular bikes. Upgrades of disc, pads, or even to hydraulic can be done.

- Tires in the 2"-4" range are really comfy off road and at +20 mph on paved streets. Go smaller if you need to take your ebike on public transportation or +90% urban. Go fatter if you plan to do more off-road with sand, snow, and mud and you need to adjusts the PSI. More tire choices from 100% urban to 100% trail with smaller size tires.

- upright/comfort riding position. Some eMTB might have you lean more forward or have extra wide handlebars. That can put extra stress on back, shoulders, arms, and hands to limit long distance riding.

- bottle cage attachments. Some eMTB don't have any bottle cage attachments. My Radrover comes with three. Bottle cage attachment can be used for other things like bike lock holders, tool kits, or for GPS trackers like Boomerang.

- Locks. U-bolts and chains seems to slow bike thieves down the most; but, very heavy and bulky to carry. Goes back to having an ability to add a rack and rack bag can help carry a good lock.

- Platform Bike rack. Just in case you need to travel with the +60 lbs ebike(s). Platform rack can really secure the ebike with little to no movement when traveling and easier to mount/dismount. I had too much movement with the Softride Dura 4 bike rack and I didn't trust the rubber straps with my +65lbs ebikes. Went with the Saris Freedom Superclamp 4 and very happy with this rack.

Bunny. I bought my wife the Bulls Lacuba EVO 8 with the wave frame. It is awesome! I wouldn't suggest a full suspension eBike as there are some tricky engineering challenges that cost money to overcome.
You should at least get a bike with front fork shocks, and you can buy seat posts that have a suspension in them.
There are a few "wave" frames out there for a 5'2" person.

That looks almost perfect, thanks Art! I may peruse the EBR site to see if there's something comparable at a lower cost, but this give me a better idea of what to look for.

I'm so grateful for this information guys, thank you!

That looks almost perfect, thanks Art! I may peruse the EBR site to see if there's something comparable at a lower cost, but this give me a better idea of what to look for.

I'm so grateful for this information guys, thank you!

Glad to help. EBR is a great rsource!

Back