Best drivetrain options/value for money?

Hypotomoose

Does anyone have any insights on the best value for money drivetrain/shifting/rear derailleur components to consider for a fat bike?

I see a lot of Shimano Tourney, Altus or Acera in entry level/direct to consumer fat ebikes - how do these fare in general? Good enough, or is it usually worth it to consider upgrading further?

I recognize a lot of the discussion will relate to how one plans to use the ebike, and can thus be quite a rabbit hole to dive down - in my case, likely as an all year commuter (including frigid winters), but still curious as to what people's experiences and opinions are!

I may have missed a thread about this kind of discussion elsewhere on EBR, so if this has already been discussed, please let me know!

I see a lot of Shimano Tourney, Altus or Acera in entry level/direct to consumer fat ebikes - how do these fare in general?

If you are using with a mid-drive, they would not fare well.
Shimano Tourney on a bike with Bafang ultra = disappointment

SRAM Eagle is better suited for a powerful mid-drive like the Ultra.

The Tourney derailleurs are stamped steel and plastic. Grab one (that is mounted on a bike) by the pulleys wheels and note how "loosey goosey" the whole thing is from side to side. Do the same thing with an Acera, and then an SLX. You will see a reduction in looseness, meaning as you spend more, the more the unit is build to tighter tolerances. Not only will the shifting be crisper, it will stay crisp over a longer period of time because the unit won't wear out as quickly. The more often you shift, the more sense it makes to use a better derailleur.

One thing to keep in mind is that 7, 8, and 9 speeds derailleurs are interchangeable, but nothing above that. Well maybe with a hack, but otherwise you can't use for example, an 10 speed derailleur with a 7 speed system.

I think the best option/value for money is a personally subjective topic. Someone might be happy with the lower level performance so that could be the sweet spot for them.

For myself and I think a lot of enthusiasts, the sweet spot for Shimano road component groups would be Tiagra or 105, for me it's 105. For Shimano MTB I'd go for SLX, but some might say one level lower at Deore, especially with the new 12 speed groups. But you should confirm compatibility with your fat bike.

I think the best option/value for money is a personally subjective topic. Someone might be happy with the lower level performance so that could be the sweet spot for them.

For myself and I think a lot of enthusiasts, the sweet spot for Shimano road component groups would be Tiagra or 105, for me it's 105. For Shimano MTB I'd go for SLX, but some might say one level lower at Deore, especially with the new 12 speed groups. But you should confirm compatibility with your fat bike.

For me it’s also 105 on road bikes but I don’t know the mtb range well- thanks very much, greatly appreciated!!

Back