Best city bike - here is the wishlist

Marrduk24

Main criteria

1. Primarily to move around the city (NYC) - Don’t need off-road capability or ability to do hills
  2. Torque and cadence sensor
  3. Has both throttle and pedal assist
  4. 28 mph in pedal assist mode
  5. Real world range of 30+ miles on flat NYC roads in throttle only mode for a 190 lbs rider at 15 mph - that means battery of > 500wh is fine
  6. Front suspension
  7. Ideally I want to stay under $2500, could stretch to $3500 for a major step up.

Nice to have but not a must

1. Ideally around 50 lbs
  2. Ideally tube battery to keep the look discreet
  3. Indifferent to hub drive vs mid drive

Closest thing I have found to my requirements is Juiced Cross Current S2 - Main negative is doesn’t have tube battery pack.

Others in the short list include Ride1up 500 series, Luna Stealth, Vanmoof S3, Specialized Veda 4.0 SL and upcoming Watts Wagons commuter bike. However these bikes meet overal fewer requirements than Juiced CC S2.

I wanted to get views on this forum and see what do people recommend.

Last edited:
tube battery adds a lot to the cost throttle kills most of the bikes with tube mounted batteries and mid drives. 50# is really out tube mounted batteries weigh more. my bulls Bosch powered bike has the Bosch regular batter but still comes in at 53 pounds.

tube battery adds a lot to the cost throttle kills most of the bikes with tube mounted batteries and mid drives. 50# is really out tube mounted batteries weigh more. my bulls Bosch powered bike has the Bosch regular batter but still comes in at 53 pounds.
Thank you. What would you recommend in a rear hub drive with battery pack?

Didn't NYC at one time outlaw ebikes with a throttle? Has that been changed?

Your wish list sounds a lot like mine, except that I have a LOT of hills to contend with (I encountered 15,000ft of elevation gain in the first 85 miles ridden according to bike app).

I bought a Momentum Transcend E+ and I love it! Just charged the battery for the fourth time last night and went for an 18-mile ride and the battery is only down one of five bars and it seems as if I'm getting more and more range out of every charge. Be aware batterie levels drop more quickly the lower the battery level, conservatively I think I could easily cover 40-miles on a full charge even with all the hills. After first 100-miles I've degreased the chain and switched it from wet to wax lube, adjusted the chain to make up for slight stretch from break in and re-adjusted the shift cable. Looking forward to many more happy miles.

Back