Best bike for long distance touring?

I have a heavily modified Radwagon that I use for century rides over the weekend. It has 2, 17.4ah batteries; one in each bag and a 14 ah battery on the frame. It give me 2500+ watts.

That's enough for me to do 130-140 miles a day on eco mode. That also includes carrying a cooler with a few bottles of Fiji, a couple bags of food, repair kits (including a socket wrench for removing the rear hub). I upgraded the bars with Jones type bars to carry more, a suspension seat post, and an air suspension fork over the straight for a smoother ride.

The cargo bike isn't too big so its still pretty easy to maneuver on narrow trails. It also doesn't feel rear heavy as the batteries sit on the side platforms.

I can probably upgrade the 14 ah but honestly, I'm reaching my limit before the bike runs out of juice.

I have a heavily modified Radwagon that I use for century rides over the weekend. It has 2, 17.4ah batteries; one in each bag and a 14 ah battery on the frame. It give me 2500+ watts.

That's enough for me to do 130-140 miles a day on eco mode. That also includes carrying a cooler with a few bottles of Fiji, a couple bags of food, repair kits (including a socket wrench for removing the rear hub). I upgraded the bars with Jones type bars to carry more, a suspension seat post, and an air suspension fork over the straight for a smoother ride.
How well does all of that weight go up hills with the 40nm of Torque?

William T can you post a picture of your modified Radwagon? That sounds a really fun rig. I've got a RadCity that I'm looking to upgrade, which is why I posted the original question that started this thread. I'm in my mid-60's now and I'd love to fulfill my 28 year old dreams and ride across the USA or from Canada to Mexico. I gave up thinking that was possible until I got an e-bike. Back in the day, I've ridden across most of the Oregon and CA coast and across most of Europe on my old Univega Gran Turismo. It's winter here in New England and 30 hilly miles is my longest ride so far. Weather hasn't cooperated enough for me to actually learned how far the RadCity can go. But 30 hilly miles in eco mode only dropped it down 2 out of 5 bars. I figure that means it can go at least 60 miles in eco mode. You riding 140 miles in a Radwagon with extra batteries is not what I was expecting to hear? That's awesome. Congrats Man!!

How well does all of that weight go up hills with the 40nm of Torque?

There was one section of the trail that was closed off and the alternate route was a steep drop and climb with a small wooden bridge in between. Most folks walked it down while holding brakes and struggled to pull the bike up the other side. With my bike weighing over 120 lbs with all the gear, I figure there is no chance I'll be able to pull it up the other side. I already knew 100% that 40nm isn't going to be any help while dragging.

So I dropped it to the smaller gear in the front and the largest in the back. Rode down one side and full throttled and peddled up the hill. It was a lot easier than I imagined. The only scary part was flying over the wooden bridge to get speed as it has no side barriers.

For steep hills, I have to do rely on my gears and throttle.

Below are pictures of the bike.

The third picture shows that fixing the rear wasn't too bad if you carry a socket wrench

With all the extra weight, I would say the 14ah battery is only going to get you about 30-40 miles tops. The 17ah will get you 50 miles with 1 bar remaining.

You can also carry the batteries in a trailer. With a road bike, you can go a lot farther with the same number of batteries. I remember my 14 ah got me 65 miles with gear. I created an extension cable that runs along the bottom of the trailer arm so its not visible to anyone. When one battery runs out in the trailer, you just disconnect and reconnect a new one.

The trailer covered in soft foam that comes with velcro sections. Some hospital was throwing them away and it looked very useful and new too. The batteries are velcro attached in the trailer so they don't move. I have plenty of space for clothes, drinks and food. I also covered the trailer cover with yellow duck tape (not shown) so its waterproof when I ride in the rain. The front of the trailer is basically a plastic bag taped to the frame to keep water out.

You mean some great people on these rides. One person finishing up their 1000 mile trip along the east coast. He was telling me about a couple that was crossing the US on a tandem bike; 3200 miles I think.

Awesome! What a great story! Glad that you didn't go over the side of the wooden bridge on a 120 lb bike!! Thanks for sharing!

I've looked all over this forum and don't see that anyone has asked this question. If you could have any ebike, what bike and bike set-up do you think would be the best for long distance touring, like the entire West Coast or across the USA? Thanks in advance!!
If you want to do it right get fully suspended touring frame designed to carry panniers... then add a BaFang mid-drive. There are only two frames built like this that I know of, Tout Terrain and R&M good luck.

Yeah, R&M SuperDelite with Gates Belt and Rohloff. Full-suspension, but has a good rear rack and you can add a front rack as well. You'll need to decide whether you want the high-speed version or mountain climbing version. Same power and torque specs (for 2020), just the torque comes on earlier with the mountain climbing version and they limit the top assist speed more. Most are temped to go for the HS (high speed) version since the torque spec looks the same, but if you're climbing something steep with a ton of weight on your bike, you might want to re-think. That said, getting assist up to 28mph sure is tempting.

This setup will cost you well over $10K USD.
A Gates belt is a horrible choice for a touring bike. They are easily damaged/destroyed by mud, belts are 10 X the cost of a chain, very fragile until properly installed and under tension, can't be used on a rear suspension bike. I am sure they are great on daily commuters but not on a bike that will be hundreds, maybe thousands of miles from support. A properly designed and built etouring bike has both the ability to ride at "high-speeds" even in excess of 28 mph and be able to climb... of course touring tires are going to be great for wet and muddy surfaces... trust me.

Thanks! I didn't want to put any limits not the question, just to see what people would recommend, but sadly, I can't really spend $10,000 on a bike.

When I was younger I did a lot of lightweight bike touring and that's my plan now. To carry minimal gear.

Any other recommendations than Riese & Mueller? The new Gazelle Ultimate T10 with an extra battery looked like it might be a sweet set up, if you weren't carrying a lot of gear.
Best ebike for long-distance touring.... under $XXXX.XX then. Long-distance touring where you aren't carrying " a lot" of gears. Perhaps you need to refine your expectations of the bike performance prior to beginning the mental exercise of piecing it together.

A Gates belt is a horrible choice for a touring bike. They are easily damaged/destroyed by mud, belts are 10 X the cost of a chain, very fragile until properly installed and under tension, can't be used on a rear suspension bike.
No, no, no, no and no.

I’ve done a good amount of riding on muddy canals. The belt sheds mud far better than a chain does, and I’ve never experienced any damage whatsoever. They cost between $70-$90 and last longer than a chain, so I don’t see where you are getting your “10X the cost” claim from. Some care needed under storage, but “very fragile” is exaggerated. R&M Delite/Homage owners will be surprised to hear that their belt is not a belt.

A Gates belt is a horrible choice for a touring bike. They are easily damaged/destroyed by mud, belts are 10 X the cost of a chain, very fragile until properly installed and under tension, can't be used on a rear suspension bike. I am sure they are great on daily commuters but not on a bike that will be hundreds, maybe thousands of miles from support.

Have you owned an E-bike with Gates drive?
Do you have 5000+ miles on such a setup?

I agree with @dblhelix

Gates belt sheds dirt and debris much better than chain and lasts longer.

The editor of a Cycling magazine has been doing his world tour on a bike with Gates drive system. He has over 150,000 miles under his belt. For sure, he is an authority when it comes to long distance touring.
Even the Tout Terrain, @Hectors Ghost 's bike manufacturer has a whole line up of touring bikes setup with Gates belt system.

I’ve done a good amount of riding on muddy canals. The belt sheds mud far better than a chain does, and I’ve never experienced any damage whatsoever. They cost between $70-$90 and last longer than a chain, so I don’t see where you are getting your “10X the cost” claim from. Some care needed under storage, but “very fragile” is exaggerated. R&M Delite/Homage owners will be surprised to hear that their belt is not a belt.
The belt itself may "shed" mud but the belt drive gears don't and mud will not only damage the belt but can lift it off the gear(s) at the most inconvenient time. They do last longer than chains when they are in a friendly environment and you can clean them properly. Belts (more difficult to fine) are around $100 and a quality 8-speed chain (KMS X8.99/X8 (easily found) is around $15 but when you buy a dozen you can get pretty good deals. Changing them (belts) can be problematic on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. https://www.royalsupply.com/downloads/Gates/Belt_failure_analysis_Final.pdf
Also, there is mud, and there is Mud. https://photos.app.goo.gl/xwtCBfWBDNyMN6yFA It's best to plan for the worst-case scenario.

Have you owned an E-bike with Gates drive?
Do you have 5000+ miles on such a setup?

Gates belt sheds dirt and debris much better than chain and lasts longer.

The editor of a Cycling magazine has been doing his world tour on a bike with Gates drive system. He has over 150,000 miles under his belt. For sure, he is an authority when it comes to long distance touring. Even the Tout Terrain, bike manufacturer has a whole line up of touring bikes setup with Gates belt system.
Nope, I don't. Coming up on 4 X your arbitrary 5000-mile number with chains. I ruled out the Gates belt almost immediately due to its limitations and requirements. Most of Tout Terrains line are commuters and daily riders built for Europeans that ride in a different manner than avid tour riders. There's touring and then there touring isn't there. The bike you referenced isn't suspended, isn't an ebike, and the rider has full support while riding. "He has over 150,000 miles under his belt."... I get it, good one!
Ride safe.

Changing them (belts) can be problematic on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. https://www.royalsupply.com/downloads/Gates/Belt_failure_analysis_Final.pdf

Staying on point, the link you shared is not about E-bikes or bike belt system.
Gates makes belt systems for large hydraulic machines, motors, timing belts in engines, serpentine belts for machinery etc.

Here is a touring bike from the manufacturer you bought from and this is what the company personnel said about Gates belt system.

1590948577691.png

Staying on point, the link you shared is not about E-bikes or bike belt system.
Gates makes belt systems for large hydraulic machines, motors, timing belts in engines, serpentine belts for machinery etc.

Here is a touring bike from the manufacturer you bought from and this is what the company personnel said about Gates belt system.

View attachment 53941
Not an electric touring bike but yup... that's a touring bike. A fucking beautiful too... other than the seat and bars.

Back