Best bike for long distance touring?

Search bike mirrors on Amazon... there are lots. I have been through a few sets now they seem to take the worst of it when I go down. These are working out really well. The more I am "away" the more I need to take with me. Stay safe John.
The problem with that is the older I get the less I kin lug around. I´ve got a GPS in a side pocket. Sometimes I even take it out
& look at it. It´s a soothing shape, kinda like a smooth piece of river rock. I may make the next ride bare bones. I´ll try to stay safe.
Bikes aren´t dangerous, cars are.

Yeah okay, but itś usually more annoying when thereś a car involved. Letś just say bikes are less likely to kill someone.

[QUOTE="Mr. Max, post: 246415, member: 29359"
I've looked all over this forum and don't see that anyone has asked this question. If you could have any ebike, what bike and bike set-up do you think would be the best for long distance touring, like the entire West Coast or across the USA? Thanks in advance!!
[/QUOTE]
This one, load it onto a bus & enjoy the scenery, duck traffic,....take a nap...whatever. Hey I´m 71, frameset weighs 3 1/2 pds.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 435
I've looked all over this forum and don't see that anyone has asked this question.
If you could have any ebike, what bike and bike set-up do you think would be the best for long distance touring, like the entire West Coast or across the USA? Thanks in advance!!

This one, load it onto a bus & enjoy the scenery, duck traffic,....take a nap...whatever. Hey, I´m 71, frameset weighs 3 1/2 pds.

Very interesting frame design... did you modify a Mixte? I bet that is a very strong frame for touring with a load.

1595010675631.png

Very interesting frame design... did you modify a Mixte? I bet that is a very strong frame for touring with a load.

View attachment 59214
This is a ´Vega mixte, tange pro tubing. The top tube, cut from an alu sail spar, was done primarily
to carry my inframe pannier, but also reinforces this very light bike to carry a big lug like me. It is
been geared very low & effortless to pedal, 42/34/24 chainring & 32/11 with 7 spd. freewheel. It was built
for racing but adapted to needs. I paid $60 for it on CL advertised as ´girlś bike, $60´. Mint condition,
I took it home less than an hour after it was posted.

Last edited:
This is a ´Vega mixte, tange pro tubing. The top tube, cut from an alu sail spar, was done primarily
to carry my inframe pannier, but also reinforces this very light bike to carry a big lug like me. It is
been geared very low & effortless to pedal, 42/34/24 chainring & 32/11 with 7 spd. freewheel. It was built
for racing but adapted to needs. I paid $60 for it on CL advertised as ´girlś bike, $60´. Mint condition,
I took it home less than an hour after it was posted.
Good looking bike. I wouldn't suggest anyone buying or building/modifying a bike for touring/camping/packing with that high of a top-tube. You need to be able to plant your feet fast at a seconds notice on rough surfaces, sometimes to the point of having to get your body weight as low as you possibly can to hold the load up. For your bike I would have pulled the water-bottle cage, put the top-tube about 3 or 4", and removed the center tube. It would allow room for an inframe bag and make the bike more easily ridable on multi-surfaces.

I've looked all over this forum and don't see that anyone has asked this question. If you could have any ebike, what bike and bike set-up do you think would be the best for long distance touring, like the entire West Coast or across the USA? Thanks in advance!!

Old post, I know. I was just scanning the bike touring section because I'm hoping to do a 170+ mile, few day ride in eastern Oregon in a couple weeks when the fires and smoke should be resolved. The ride is called the Old West Scenic Bikeway running a loop in the John Day area. I started this ride on a regular pedal bike in June but got off on the wrong road the first day, it was brutal with elevation gain, one steep/long hill after the other - but I took the wrong road. I'll pay more attention next time but will take my ebike instead. I have a BH/Emotion Rebel Gravel X - my main concern is that it has 24 spoke wheels but I haven't had a broken spoke yet.

Even if money was no concern I wouldn't want to ride a tank like RM bikes. With two batteries, what is it 70+(+) pounds for the bike alone? That would drain any enjoyment from riding a bicycle for me. And $10,000 for that bike, seriously? Similar to motorcycles, sometimes the most fun is found on what you have, especially if it is considered by others not to be up to the task. I've ridden an old Sears 10 speed on multi day trips and had a great time.

I'd like to try an Ariel M class. People tour on 20" bikes all the time. Large rack in the back, sturdy looking front rack or basket. 93nm torque for hills. If I didn't have too much stuff already I'd want one.

Picture from their web site, substitute gear for the pizza boxes and child carrier.

1600617499404.png

Old post, I know...

... I wouldn't want to ride a tank like RM bikes. With two batteries, what is it 70+(+) pounds for the bike alone? That would drain any enjoyment from riding a bicycle for me. And $10,000 for that bike, seriously?

All I can say to this is that unless you have ridden a fully loaded (heavy) eTouring bike for a few thousand miles you can't understand how casual and simple the ride can be. My bike with just the battery and motor is around 60+ lbs. and can go places that most tour bikes (and causal riders) wouldn't think of trying. As with R&M, my bike has a suspended frame that weighs more than standard bikes... and is worth every additional pound. Although unlike production mid-drive ebikes (hub-motors aren't even in the running) using a BaFang BBSXX lets you find the perfect bike for you and make it a better ebike than you can buy assembled and at a drastically reduced cost. I personally believe that the most important factor for an eTouring bike is starting with a frame that can carry a large (30Ah+) triangle pack... even if you are going to ride from motel to motel, let alone long rides with no infrastructure. Stay safe.

Old post, I know. I was just scanning the bike touring section because I'm hoping to do a 170+ mile, few day ride in eastern Oregon in a couple weeks when the fires and smoke should be resolved. The ride is called the Old West Scenic Bikeway running a loop in the John Day area. I started this ride on a regular pedal bike in June but got off on the wrong road the first day, it was brutal with elevation gain, one steep/long hill after the other - but I took the wrong road. I'll pay more attention next time but will take my ebike instead. I have a BH/Emotion Rebel Gravel X - my main concern is that it has 24 spoke wheels but I haven't had a broken spoke yet.

Even if money was no concern I wouldn't want to ride a tank like RM bikes. With two batteries, what is it 70+(+) pounds for the bike alone? That would drain any enjoyment from riding a bicycle for me. And $10,000 for that bike, seriously? Similar to motorcycles, sometimes the most fun is found on what you have, especially if it is considered by others not to be up to the task. I've ridden an old Sears 10 speed on multi day trips and had a great time.

I'd like to try an Ariel M class. People tour on 20" bikes all the time. Large rack in the back, sturdy looking front rack or basket. 93nm torque for hills. If I didn't have too much stuff already I'd want one.
Picture from their web site, substitute gear for the pizza boxes, and child carrier.

A good friend of mine purchased the BH Rebel Gravel-X and the bike & drive system has been bullet-proof.

He played football as a lad and is 250+lbs and has absolutely no issues with the double-wall rims and stainless steel spokes.

I've listed the specs below from the EBR review and would recommend keeping the bike and adapting it to your touring needs.

RIMS: Alloy, Double Wall, 24 Hole, 622x17c
SPOKES: Stainless Steel, Bladed, Black with Nipples
TIRE BRAND: Schwalbe G-One, 700 x 40c (42-622)
WHEEL SIZES: 28 in (71.12cm)
TIRE DETAILS: 45 to 70 PSI, 3.0 to 5.0 BAR, All-Round RG
TUBE DETAILS: Presta Valve

Last edited:
(hub-motors aren't even in the running)
IYHO
using a BaFang BBSXX lets you find the perfect bike for you and make it a better ebike than you can buy assembled
IYHO, the production assembled bike probably goes through a lot less chains than yours, better still Gates CDX
the most important factor for an eTouring bike is starting with a frame that can carry a large (30Ah+) triangle pack
IYHO = In YOUR Humble Opinion
:)

Last edited:
Another expensive Bosch one but with fully tested gross vehicle weight of 200kg, it's heavy, i'd be removing the stand for tours and revert to manual shift for the Rohloff but i wonder how it handles (i like 27.5" wheels):

A good friend of mine purchased the BH Rebel Gravel-X and the bike & drive system has been bullet-proof.

He played football as a lad and is 250+lbs and has absolutely no issues with the double-wall rims and stainless steel spokes.

I've listed the specs below from the EBR review and would recommend keeping the bike and adapting it to your touring needs.

RIMS: Alloy, Double Wall, 24 Hole, 622x17c
SPOKES: Stainless Steel, Bladed, Black with Nipples
TIRE BRAND: Schwalbe G-One, 700 x 40c (42-622)
WHEEL SIZES: 28 in (71.12cm)
TIRE DETAILS: 45 to 70 PSI, 3.0 to 5.0 BAR, All-Round RG
TUBE DETAILS: Presta Valve

I'll be keeping the BH/Rebel. I still have my '70s era Sears 10 speed that I got when I was 12 and every bike I bought after that also - too many, each was for a certain purpose . I have another bike that had 20 spoke wheels, once in a while a rear spoke would break but the wheel would stay straight enough to get me home when I unhooked the brake, I replaced those with 36 spoke wheels which I can't use on the BH bike as it has thru axles and disc brakes. I carry some spare spokes for the BH just in case, because they are straight pull spokes they can be replaced on the road.

I'm pretty sure I will take a trailer. It is made for QR axle but I made a thru axle for the BH that will work with the trailer (the Robert Axle Project axles won't as far as I can tell).

Last edited:
I'll be keeping the BH/Rebel. I still have my '70s era Sears 10 speed that I got when I was 12 and every bike I bought after that also - too many, each was for a certain purpose.

I have another bike that had 20 spoke wheels, once in a while a rear spoke would break but the wheel would stay straight enough to get me home when I unhooked the brake, I replaced those with 36 spoke wheels which I can't use on the BH bike as it has thru-axles. I carry some spare spokes for the BH just in case because they are straight-pull spokes they can be replaced on the road.

I'm pretty sure I will take a trailer. It is made for QR axle but I made a thru-axle for the BH that will work with the trailer (the Robert Axle Project axles won't as far as I can tell).

Excellent... I rode a bright orange '70s era Sears 10-speed for my teenage years. ;)

I would like to hear more about your mod to the BH thru-axle to work with a rear trailer.

I didn't modify the stock axle, I made a thru axle from some 12mm aluminum rod with a center hole. It isn't pretty but it works with the trailer, it has only been on the bike when I used the trailer, otherwise I use the stock axle.

1600623719783.png

1600623846322.png

I didn't modify the stock axle, I made a thru-axle from some 12mm aluminum rod with a center hole.
It isn't pretty but it works with the trailer, it has only been on the bike when I used the trailer, otherwise, I use the stock axle.

View attachment 65976
View attachment 65977

Well done!

Looks like your thru-axle also protects your rear derailleur and rotors from accidents.

Last edited:
If money is no object, and I wanted to go across the country, via pedal power/elect assist ..I would think about a velomobile .. like the 202020 challenge http://202020.eu/
I always wanted a velomobile...but that's not really a touring bike.. with 3 & 4 wheels..
there are many brands of velo's ,,none of them cheep...

If money is no object, and I wanted to go across the country, via pedal power/elect assist ..I would think about a velomobile .. like the 202020 challenge http://202020.eu/
I always wanted a velomobile...but that's not really a touring bike.. with 3 & 4 wheels..
there are many brands of velo's ,,none of them cheep...
I do way too much riding on single-track and cross country, even just 3 wheels would cut my riding to a 1/3.

Thanks! I didn't want to put any limits not the question, just to see what people would recommend, but sadly, I can't really spend $10,000 on a bike.

When I was younger I did a lot of lightweight bike touring and that's my plan now. To carry minimal gear.

Any other recommendations than Riese & Mueller? The new Gazelle Ultimate T10 with an extra battery looked like it might be a sweet set up, if you weren't carrying a lot of gear.
check out the length of travel on the front fork....its very minimal.

check out the length of travel on the front fork....its very minimal.
Why do you think you need any kind of suspension fork for long-distance touring? Lots of people travel all over the world on fixed-fork bikes, often on atrocious roads and trails. Relatively few have major catastrophes.

I also don't see many suspensions here:

Last edited:
Back