Beginner, looking for first bike .... mid or hub? Cadence or torque.?

JudyS

I HAD TO join!! I have learned so much from being a lurker and now, I really want some advice that isn't tied to whether the LBS is going to make a sale or not!

I have narrowed down to .... Aventon Pace 350 . Breezer Greenway LS. Used 2019 Giant LaFree. HELP??? The Giant is the heaviest at (I think) 52 lbs . Weight IS an issue. I want to be able to handle the bike myself.

We RV all winter. I like the bike for touring around new places, sometimes gravel roads, sometimes city traffic, sometimes rail trails, and occasional Forest Service roads. Favorite place is Mazatlan where we ride through lots of traffic (on Sundays, quieter-ish), dirts backroads with lots of potholes. But, i don't go far and i am not strong. My current hybrid bike has no suspension, that doesn't seem to bother me, but then again I haven't been doing great distances, neither. Something I plan to change!

I am over 60, not terribly strong, female, I enjoy being on my bike, but .... What if there's a hill? What if the wind turns against me? What if we go too far ...?? My husband says " you don't like to sweat." Darned right!!! 🙃

An e-bike is meant for me . Now, which one....??

First place I stopped, I got lots of info, tested a middrive, torque sensors, and enjoyed it. However, their prices started above $3k ....

Second shop, I tested a much cheaper bike, under 2k, rear hub, cadence sensing, took off like a bat outta hell!! 😬 No like! It was fun to ride, but the acel at startup was a little disconcerting!

Third bike (third bike shop) was a class 1, 500w shimano mid-drive, torque sensing, hydraulic brakes, 47 pounds .... i liked the ride and thought it hit a lot of good points. Breezer Greenway LS, $2699. ... started to think i might just go for it!

I came home, read more, and began to think i didn't want and didn't NEED a mid-drive. ?. Too much cost? Too much maintenance? (Really? For my level of easy riding under 20 kmh? Chain problems? I only know how to put air in the tires!)

Returned to the shop with the class 2 bikes, thinking that maybe the quick accel was something that would simply be part of a learning curve... ? They had a new shipment of Aventon Pace 350's. Tested it. The PAS kicks in so, so smoothly. A MUCH IMPROVED experience on this Class 2 bike. I rode it for over my 10 minute allotment. Came back all smiles. And, 45 pounds. $1799. Shop owner had me ride another bike .... 500 w, hydraulic disc brakes (loved them for the huge hill i came down!) but much heavier than the Pace350. He also said he thought I would hate the Pace 500 because of the aggressive startup of the assistance.

How to decide ....??

.... DARN IT, you people on this forum!!! Some of you have spoken very highly of this bike (PatriciaK and others) , so this particular ad caught my eye. .... about an hour's drive from my home a Giant LaFree E+2 is for sale. Bought last August, seller has it just now in for a major tune-up and going over pre-selling ..... I am told the lady of the house would prefer a Mountain bike. This "hasn't been ridden much".... it is at the shop today, the seller will give me the odometer reading when I call him tomorrow night. $2200 asking price.
The Giant is very similar to the Breezer in many ways.....

Now, I cannot decide!! Save some money? Will I be happy with the lower end components of the Aventon? Will the 350W get my 165 pounds up the hill where I live?? Am I strong enough to pedal a torque sensing bike like the Breezer? The Auto setting, and 6-sensor system of the Giant sounds interesting ....

Elevation change from town to my house is 200m over 5 km, not a big deal, but at this time, I find that much uphill discouraging.... i expect I will become more fit as I ride more on my new bike! 😁 with the last 500 meters an 11% grade (used Google Maps)

And, last point .... I plan, if I buy a Class 2 bike, (and hope I am strong enough to stick with this plan) to not use the throttle. To me, this is a bicycle. I want to get exercise. I want to enjoy the view.

Help me in my conundrum?? I look forward to your opinions.
(And, man, I am SO sorry for the BOOK!! But, the more info the better, right? 😉)

the Aventon Pace 350 is light because it has a pretty small hub motor and battery. it wont climb hills well at all and it has pretty cheap parts. you can use very little effort on the mid drive. the nI first started riding I could only spin and my heart rate never got about 90 and Could go fine as I got stronger I could work more.

Well, you know how much I love my La Free 😁! Easy and natural feeling to ride, great on hills, great battery range, comfortable, stable, can ride on pavement, dirt and packed gravel. Take the battery off before lifting; it's not that bad. Don't worry about the chain! For a casual rider I don't think it's a big deal.
It's strange that the used price is more than the new price, but I guess whatever the market will bear...

I'd go for the La Free, but that's just me. Be sure to ride it before making your decision, though - experiencing the ride (on some hills, if you can find them!) will answer a lot of your questions.

Well, you know how much I love my La Free 😁! Easy and natural feeling to ride, great on hills, great battery range, comfortable, stable, can ride on pavement, dirt and packed gravel. Take the battery off before lifting; it's not that bad. Don't worry about the chain! For a casual rider I don't think it's a big deal.
It's strange that the used price is more than the new price, but I guess whatever the market will bear...

I'd go for the La Free, but that's just me. Be sure to ride it before making your decision, though - experiencing the ride (on some hills, if you can find them!) will answer a lot of your questions.

Yeah, Patricia, in Canadian dollars and market, i saw a new LaFree at $2499..... used is cheaper, and no taxes ...
But, i definitely will ride it. Learned A LOT on the 6 bikes i have taken for small test rides. certainly would never order a bike sight unseen! Thanks for the encouragement!

I hated the cadence control on my ebikeling kit. Accelerated from 0 like a scalded dog, minimum speed 11 mph. I have a 400 ' driveway with tall grass where the right speed is 2 mph, and if pedaling doesn't keep me up to that speed I swerve into the rut in the limestone. I ride 3 miles of highway 3 where the berm is often a foot outside the potholes, and sometimes 4", so right speed is about 7. couldn't use power at all there under cadence sensor. Also the pedal whacked me in the back of the leg a couple of times standing still when the sensor took off. I moved the power wheel to another bike and didn't bother to move the crank sensor. I use throttle exclusively - but pedal unpowered about 80% of the 30 mile commute and 50 of the77 hills. Cardiovascular health is important for males age 70. My sedentary Dad lost his brain to stroke age 72.
Xtreme Catalina is a geared hub drive bike with a torque sensor, so not terribly expensive. Don't know if you can have one, lots of brands are out of stock. I like geared hubs because they don't drag with the power off when i am pedaling myself. DD hub drives drag unpowered like you are in 2 ratios higher sprocket than you really are. In mid drives, Yamaha, Brose, Shimano don't drag power off. Some rumors of Bosch gen 4 doesn't but gen 3 earlier drag like a boat anchor power off. Another advantage of geared hub drive, if the throttle quits in the rain (happened twice) or the motor wears out (4000 miles) I can pedal myself home without a call for a tow truck. changed the motor out for a different brand in 1 day, try that with a mid drive. .

Last edited:
FYI - 2020 Giant LaFree are still available new for $2,000. The catch is you can only order blue in medium size, all other sizes and colors are out of stock.

Good to read that if/when I go to negotiate on the 2019 model.... but ... oh ... That is a USD price?? The exchange on Canadian dollar is 1.31 .... brings that bike to over C$2600.

Yup, one of the challenges of reading forums (cm or inches?) and shopping online ... the numbers are always bouncing back and forth on my head!🤪

I HAD TO join!! I have learned so much from being a lurker and now, I really want some advice that isn't tied to whether the LBS is going to make a sale or not!

I have narrowed down to .... Aventon Pace 350 . Breezer Greenway LS. Used 2019 Giant LaFree. HELP??? The Giant is the heaviest at (I think) 52 lbs . Weight IS an issue. I want to be able to handle the bike myself.

We RV all winter. I like the bike for touring around new places, sometimes gravel roads, sometimes city traffic, sometimes rail trails, and occasional Forest Service roads. Favorite place is Mazatlan where we ride through lots of traffic (on Sundays, quieter-ish), dirts backroads with lots of potholes. But, i don't go far and i am not strong. My current hybrid bike has no suspension, that doesn't seem to bother me, but then again I haven't been doing great distances, neither. Something I plan to change!

I am over 60, not terribly strong, female, I enjoy being on my bike, but .... What if there's a hill? What if the wind turns against me? What if we go too far ...?? My husband says " you don't like to sweat." Darned right!!! 🙃

An e-bike is meant for me . Now, which one....??

First place I stopped, I got lots of info, tested a middrive, torque sensors, and enjoyed it. However, their prices started above $3k ....

Second shop, I tested a much cheaper bike, under 2k, rear hub, cadence sensing, took off like a bat outta hell!! 😬 No like! It was fun to ride, but the acel at startup was a little disconcerting!

Third bike (third bike shop) was a class 1, 500w shimano mid-drive, torque sensing, hydraulic brakes, 47 pounds .... i liked the ride and thought it hit a lot of good points. Breezer Greenway LS, $2699. ... started to think i might just go for it!

I came home, read more, and began to think i didn't want and didn't NEED a mid-drive. ?. Too much cost? Too much maintenance? (Really? For my level of easy riding under 20 kmh? Chain problems? I only know how to put air in the tires!)

Returned to the shop with the class 2 bikes, thinking that maybe the quick accel was something that would simply be part of a learning curve... ? They had a new shipment of Aventon Pace 350's. Tested it. The PAS kicks in so, so smoothly. A MUCH IMPROVED experience on this Class 2 bike. I rode it for over my 10 minute allotment. Came back all smiles. And, 45 pounds. $1799. Shop owner had me ride another bike .... 500 w, hydraulic disc brakes (loved them for the huge hill i came down!) but much heavier than the Pace350. He also said he thought I would hate the Pace 500 because of the aggressive startup of the assistance.

How to decide ....??

.... DARN IT, you people on this forum!!! Some of you have spoken very highly of this bike (PatriciaK and others) , so this particular ad caught my eye. .... about an hour's drive from my home a Giant LaFree E+2 is for sale. Bought last August, seller has it just now in for a major tune-up and going over pre-selling ..... I am told the lady of the house would prefer a Mountain bike. This "hasn't been ridden much".... it is at the shop today, the seller will give me the odometer reading when I call him tomorrow night. $2200 asking price.
The Giant is very similar to the Breezer in many ways.....

Now, I cannot decide!! Save some money? Will I be happy with the lower end components of the Aventon? Will the 350W get my 165 pounds up the hill where I live?? Am I strong enough to pedal a torque sensing bike like the Breezer? The Auto setting, and 6-sensor system of the Giant sounds interesting ....

Elevation change from town to my house is 200m over 5 km, not a big deal, but at this time, I find that much uphill discouraging.... i expect I will become more fit as I ride more on my new bike! 😁 with the last 500 meters an 11% grade (used Google Maps)

And, last point .... I plan, if I buy a Class 2 bike, (and hope I am strong enough to stick with this plan) to not use the throttle. To me, this is a bicycle. I want to get exercise. I want to enjoy the view.

Help me in my conundrum?? I look forward to your opinions.
(And, man, I am SO sorry for the BOOK!! But, the more info the better, right? 😉)
Le Free for sure

Back