BBS02 750w dissapointingly unreliable

Throttles, on or off....well I don't know about the thumb type, but my Stunner just arrived, it has a twist type, and it is definitely proportional. The motor (36v 500w) is dated Sept, 2015.

As to the statement that these BBS motors "are toys" I sure hope that is not the case.

Why?
you need to explain why you think that.
Price is irrelevant.
What difference would a Titanium chain make with anything???
OR Kevlar tires??????

You need to use a single speed rated chain with the power of teh 750W /48V system, it will snap 9/10 speed chains above eco mode. Ti is lighter and stronger than steel chain, kevlar tires reduce rotating mass making the system more efficient.

Last edited:
It's nice to enter ownership after Bafang has upgaded the transistors in the controller to better handle the power, and also added the gear sensor input that I'm not using.. Mine uses the default Luna reprogram and I've no wish to tinker. Throttle feels proportional to me. My only reliabilty issue so far is when I let the battery connector come apart. That was frustrating as I had just unloaded the bike off my car for a ride. Rode anyway.

I enjoyed assembling the kit. Hardest part was having to saw off the old crank that was frozen. Aluminum and steel sometimes will corrode. I sometimes saw it on spark plugs that were in an engine for a long time. The prevent is to use anti-seize. I like the way the components all go together with water resistant connectors.

I normally ride in PAS1/PAS2 and my wattmeter says I use 200maH/mile, giving me about a 40 mile range on my 6.2 pound 48V 10AH dolphin. I keep it in a rack bag and it doesn't affect an old man riding on streets and bike paths. Might toss a young fella into the weeds in the woods? I'm going to take the trail short cut next time. The motor burns 400 mah/mile at 18-20 mph in PAS4 though, and the casing starts to get hot. My 965 controller has no temperature output. Top speed is over 30 mph.

Unlike my rear hub motor controller, which seems to cut power in a given PAS level above a certain speed, the BBS02 seems to be always helping in PAS. I will have to watch the current to be sure my mind isn't fooling me.

I'm using the 3/32" chain that came with my old bike, I did buy a new chain, deraillerur and freewheel for a refurb in the future, but they're also 3/32.

I like the results, but friends look at me like I'm crazy when I say I spent a thousand bucks on the bike. Oh well.

I am also a new owner, got my latest update 750W motor /48V 12Ah battery system from seller 'Bafangusadirect' on ebay last week.($999 complete kit) So far so good. Running it with 52T front and 22T rear SS chain on a Shimano Alfine 8 rear IG hub. I have about 70 miles on it. 32 of that with a 400 lb total load (Bike/E-system/Rider/pack gear) on one charge at 66% PAS1 15.5 mph and 33% PAS2 19.5 mph. I have hit top speeds of 29mph. Impressive to say the least. This system has plentiful power and is very fast. I may opt for the stateside warranty offered for 10% of purchase price covering all parts and labor but without the delay of shipping to China. The seller has been very responsive and helpful thus far. I did have an issue with the crank pedal threads stripping out (very soft material) but they have sent a replacement..

Last edited:
I normally ride in PAS1/PAS2 and my wattmeter says I use 200maH/mile, giving me about a 40 mile range on my 6.2 pound 48V 10AH dolphin. I keep it in a rack bag and it doesn't affect an old man riding on streets and bike paths. Might toss a young fella into the weeds in the woods? I'm going to take the trail short cut next time. The motor burns 400 mah/mile at 18-20 mph in PAS4 though, and the casing starts to get hot. My 965 controller has no temperature output. Top speed is over 30 mph.

Unlike my rear hub motor controller, which seems to cut power in a given PAS level above a certain speed, the BBS02 seems to be always helping in PAS. I will have to watch the current to be sure my mind isn't fooling me.

I'm using the 3/32" chain that came with my old bike, I did buy a new chain, deraillerur and freewheel for a refurb in the future, but they're also 3/32.

I like the results, but friends look at me like I'm crazy when I say I spent a thousand bucks on the bike. Oh well.
Thanks for posting some real world results. Very useful. I was going to put my wattmeter on mine and check it out as well, but now not sure I will bother. I too am happy with my BBS02 and sounds like I ride it in much the same places as you...streets and bike paths mostly. I have an 11,6Ah 13s Dolphin battery pack (mounted on the downtube) so expect my range would be similar.

Your numbers really show the impact of higher speed on shortened range.

You need to use a single speed rated chain with the power of teh 750W /48V system, it will snap 9/10 speed chains above eco mode. Ti is lighter and stronger than steel chain, kevlar tires reduce rotating mass making the system more efficient.

Kevlar tires are about puncture resistance and are typically heavier and slower than non-Kevlar versions of the same tire. TI is lighter, not stronger.

Hi everyone!

I bought a 48V 500W Bafang a month ago and installed it onto my bike.
I am experiencing a few issues so that's why I am posting here to see if you guys have any insight
1) After a while the motor comes loose from the pedal: the torque the motor applies to the pedal will unscrew it after a few minutes of acceleration/deceleration. The nuts are tightened well before that happens.
2) I have not installed the speed sensor as my rear wheel does not allow to have it at the right distance to trigger the hall sensor. Is that an issue?
3) When I start pedaling and I have PAS set to 1, it motor turns on even thought I am not pressing on the throttle. Is that normal?
4) If I have on PAS 5, it becomes dangerous as the motor applies a huge amount of torque. Do you think my controller is done?
5) If I have it on PAS 1, the max speed is like 15km/hr, PAS 2 20km/hr etc. I don't see how the throttle is useful at all since it seems that the only way to control the speed is with the buttons +/- for the PAS
6) Can I disable the PAS and use only the throttle to gauge my speed?
7) After say a few mins, the display turns off with empty battery symbol. In order to reset that, I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery. The battery is a new 48V Li-ion 20AH. I tried also with another battery and same problem.

Thank you very much!

Hi everyone!

I bought a 48V 500W Bafang a month ago and installed it onto my bike.
I am experiencing a few issues so that's why I am posting here to see if you guys have any insight
1) After a while the motor comes loose from the pedal: the torque the motor applies to the pedal will unscrew it after a few minutes of acceleration/deceleration. The nuts are tightened well before that happens.
2) I have not installed the speed sensor as my rear wheel does not allow to have it at the right distance to trigger the hall sensor. Is that an issue?
3) When I start pedaling and I have PAS set to 1, it motor turns on even thought I am not pressing on the throttle. Is that normal?
4) If I have on PAS 5, it becomes dangerous as the motor applies a huge amount of torque. Do you think my controller is done?
5) If I have it on PAS 1, the max speed is like 15km/hr, PAS 2 20km/hr etc. I don't see how the throttle is useful at all since it seems that the only way to control the speed is with the buttons +/- for the PAS
6) Can I disable the PAS and use only the throttle to gauge my speed?
7) After say a few mins, the display turns off with empty battery symbol. In order to reset that, I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery. The battery is a new 48V Li-ion 20AH. I tried also with another battery and same problem.

Thank you very much!
1) need better descripton here? are you talking crank, crank arm, or pedal?
2)nope
3)yes
4)nope
5)? its either Throttle or PAS, speed is capped by power level (PAS 1 ,PAS 2, PAS3, .. etc)
6)sure, (just stop pedaling) but throttle only will eat battery faster since you are not adding power by pedaling..
7)Not sure on this one. (Where did you get a 20 AH / 48V battery pack?)

Last edited:
Q2: I have not installed the speed sensor as my rear wheel does not allow to have it at the right distance to trigger the hall sensor. Is that an issue?

I think so. My magnet slipped off my wheel, and my BBS02 did not run right when it didn't know the speed.

Q3: When I start pedaling and I have PAS set to 1, it motor turns on even thought I am not pressing on the throttle. Is that normal?

Yes, There is usually a PAS 0 leverl where the pedals do not activate the motor, but I read where some controllers do not offer it..

Q4: I have on PAS 5, it becomes dangerous as the motor applies a huge amount of torque. Do you think my controller is done?

It's not dangerous unless your bike has bad brakes and loose steering. This is just 500 watts at work. I have no reason to go 50 km/hour, but I did my top speed run to see how fast my bike goes. It exceeds that speed. I'm happy, even though my normal speed is 20 km/hor.

Q5: If I have it on PAS 1, the max speed is like 15km/hr, PAS 2 20km/hr etc. I don't see how the throttle is useful at all since it seems that the only way to control the speed is with the buttons +/- for the PAS

What controller are you using? Many of them can be set for added PAS levels. Mine had 5m but I changed it to 9, so that PAS 1 and PAS 2 are fairly low power.

Q6: Can I disable the PAS and use only the throttle to gauge my speed?

Yes, if you have a PAS 0, and it seem to me that it is dangerous to offer the kit without PAS 0. I always put it there if I don't want the bike to run if someone bumps the pedal.

Q7: After say a few mins, the display turns off with empty battery symbol. In order to reset that, I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery. The battery is a new 48V Li-ion 20AH. I tried also with another battery and same problem.

I would say to connect your rear speed sensor. All you have to do is be creative and mount the sensor on some kind of rig so it's closer to the spokes. Use extra plastic wraps around a block of wood, if you don't mind it being ugly.

Last edited:
the 48V 750W bafang mid drive motor is with an integrated speed sensor,the item which is compatible with a 68-120mm bottom bracket ,has a rated power of 750w, a reduction ratio of 1:21.9 and a maximum torque of 160 N.m WILL provide the rider with great explosive force when starting the systerm. highly strong and efficient ,this motor greatly enhances riding joy and is suitable for mountain bikes and sand bikes which are the favorites of riders who love chanllenges as well as transport bikes. Auto-ebike

It's seems like you are a Chinese vendor selling off the web at the address that is also your member name?

That site offers a $280 torque sensor mid-drive. It's interesting, because it has the torque sensor and it fits bottom brackets like the Bafang stuff. Maybe you could get one of these drives into the hands of a reviewer in the US. Everyone knows the BBS motors, but Bafang is kind of a monopoly.

Good luck.

middrive.JPG

sorry ,forgot the attached file of installation step, here it is.

Attachments

• step 1 installation auto-ebike.jpg
    step 1 installation auto-ebike.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 1,192
  • step 2 installation auto-ebike.jpg
    step 2 installation auto-ebike.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 1,187
  • step 3 installation auto-ebike.jpg
    step 3 installation auto-ebike.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 1,206
I posted a link to this motor on another forum, back in April.

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum...72-basic-mid-drive-kit-with-torque-sensor-350

I don't think too many people know this motor is available. @Court (Court Rye) operates this website and pays the bills. It would be great if you could get a sample of the drive to him. He might be able to make a video of the installation and give his thoughts on the operation. If Court wanted to buy one for review, I would chip in. People need to know how well the torque sensor works, and how well the motor works.

It's a very good price and that amount of power works well for people who don't want to go fast. Several Chinese vendors are trying to get started in the US market. I don't know if you want to retail the motors or wholesale them.

There are several review sites. If people could build a nice bike with this motor and a small 36v battery, it's attractive.

I have a BBS02 750 watt I have been riding for over a year now just about 3000 miles with very few problems along the way a few connection and wiring problems due to bad connectors. Recently I have an electrical problem I cant figure. WHen I power it on sometimes I get er 21 though most of the time the monitor shuts down after a few seconds and nothing works. No display no power and the throttle does not work either. I have to dissconnect the battery then hit the on/off button to discharge system the hook the batt back up it will power on for a few seconds and then display goes off and nothing. I am thinking is it my battery since I went with a cheap lipo from china 20AH it has been a great ride with little maintenance but now this. Any ideas? I am going to try another power supply to see if it is the batt. I have checked all connections they are all good and clean. I should also mention every time when it shuts down I check voltage at battery connectors and it reads very low then I disconnect the battery by itself and it reads full charge at 54 volts.

Last edited:
everything I read on er 21 you still have throttle just no display I have nothing. I am not sure what the amps are the voltage is topped at 54 it is a 20aH battery also I only get er 21 once in a while then the display shuts off. most often since testing today the display just shuts down and I have nothing. Then disconnect the batt and hook it up again and the same thing happens over and over I thought maybe a BMS problem or maybe a short some where

Error 21 can bring a total shutdown. Not common. I can't confirm which models but I have seen cases where that has happened. The speed sensor is an inexpensive part I have had failures with. I always keep one, if not for reolacement, then for tending and process of elimination. Cheap backup part. And in a spot that makes it vulnerable, IME.

Back