BBS02 750w dissapointingly unreliable

What do you think?

The 48V system is definitely more powerful, but the battery is also significantly larger for the same AH. I weigh 165 lbs. and the 36V system with a 15AH has a range of over 50 miles and is about all I need. If you have steep hills you'd notice a difference between the 48 and 36 volt system. If you have relatively gentle grades the 36V would be fine. The 11AH battery might be a bit small for 40 miles, but in general it would probably work well for 30+. If battery size and capacity is an issue the 48V system might be out. My opinion, the 48V BBs02 is a great product but probably overkill unless you're climbing some serious grades that are fairly long.

Here's the link to my conversion http://electricbikereview.com/commu...inished-product-thoughts-after-125-miles.572/

Court J.

Another thing to consider is the type of battery.
While bigger is better, it's not just a matter of size.
The batteries have different cell types inside and some will do a faster discharge than others.

My 10ah 48v 750w system will not run on full power with anything less than half a charge in it.
If I try it cuts out. On lower power, I can use the remaining capacity in the battery.
A bigger battery would fix this, or a battery with higher discharge cells.

3100km still going well.

Last edited:
The batteries have different cell types inside and some will do a faster discharge than others.

My 10ah 48v 750w system will not run on full power with anything less than half a charge in it.
If I try it cuts out. On lower power, I can use the remaining capacity in the battery.
A bigger battery would fix this, of a battery with higher discharge cells.

3100km still going well.
This is very true...I think in the next year or two prices and performance will go down especially if gas prices stay low during this period. Price that is...I think on a mtb the power and ability especially in traffic is needed....I weigh 200 and can go 0 to 25 faster then most cars and it is funny watching their faces... I also like the stealth aspect of the battery I have....if I need more then 20 miles about 1 hr ride time with a little assist especially at the end....I can charge it in 4 hrs or eventually I'll have another battery...when price is lower...there's another 20plus miles

This is very true...I think in the next year or two prices and performance will go down especially if gas prices stay low during this period. Price that is...I think on a mtb the power and ability especially in traffic is needed....I weigh 200 and can go 0 to 25 faster then most cars and it is funny watching their faces... I also like the stealth aspect of the battery I have....if I need more then 20 miles about 1 hr ride time with a little assist especially at the end....I can charge it in 4 hrs or eventually I'll have another battery...when price is lower...there's another 20plus miles
I have 600 miles....

I would recommend 48 with mtb and price is almost the same. Titanium chain....use silicon to lube. Kevlar tires and if you got money the newest version of battery....I think it is the 11ah 22cells.

Why?
you need to explain why you think that.
Price is irrelevant.
What difference would a Titanium chain make with anything???
OR Kevlar tires??????

I've got about 700 snow and freezing temp miles and the Bafang has been rock solid. No issues so far and it has had a very rough life so far.

OR Kevlar tires??????
Using the 750W Bafang and the right battery, you can grenade the chain pretty easily with the throttle. I assume the Titanium chain recommendation is just to have the most robust chain possible. A thick 7 or 8 speed chain is usually enough. A 9 or 10 speed chain is usually too thin.

Why?
you need to explain why you think that.
Price is irrelevant.
OR Kevlar tires??????
It is a lot of power and wears ordinary chain....tires and at high speeds picks up a lot of dirt in chain using regular lube....it needs to be dry...my bike ca easily go 30 to 35 mph....don't recommend using such high gear....I normally cruise at 22 in a lower gear for torque....I also stay in that gear....you lose your front 3 so I have 8 and ride in 4 or 5...trust me....but I also am pretty unlimited and ride it hard....regular chain pops off when jumping...jope this helps

Chain and tires on a 20 to 30 miles from home both learned the hard way luckily I was within a mile or 2....I ride 13 miles to beach and charge it 3 hrs and ride home...13 miles takes me 30 to 40 minutes depending on how crazy I ride

That is not a problem with the motor. These motors are very reliable and that is a bms issue in the battery. Depending on the battery build (where you purchased) ....
Where in the world did you get that idea? Bafang and acknowledged a problem and updated controllers on the 750W drives. With the new and improved V2 controller that increases the controller FET count from 6 Fets to 9 Fets, the BBS02 750w Bafang motor is not only able to deal with the high power demands of the engine reliably it also runs cooler. Several resellers have scaled back the controllers as well. Scaling the 25A controller back to 18A. Leaving the smaller 18A controllers at 18A. I'd be interested to know the build date of the failed controller.

Last edited:
Where in the world did you get that idea? Bafang and acknowledged a problem and updated controllers on the 750W drives. With the new and improved V2 controller that increases the controller FET count from 6 Fets to 9 Fets, the BBS02 750w Bafang motor is not only able to deal with the high power demands of the engine reliably it also runs cooler. Several resellers have scaled back the controllers as well. Scaling the 25A controller back to 18A. Leaving the smaller 18A controllers at 18A. I'd be interested to know the build date of the failed controller.
That was a year before post and not a issue at time of post....but there were a lot of bad bms at time of post...

New controllers were shipping in July 2014. There were lots of old controller still in the pipeline. Are you referring to the batch of bad BMS from EM3ev? Sorry I'm making a point of this but reading this thread makes it sound as if the problem with BBS0x units is the BMS systems in batteries just isn't accurate from everything I know. Would you mind clarifying and detailing where this information come from? Whose BMS and batteries were affected and over what period? I'd like to update my trouble shooting data base.
All discussions of failures should include serial number of controller unit and motor.
Thanks!

A bigger battery would fix this, or a battery with higher discharge cells.

3100km still going well.

What he said...lol.. Buy as much battery as you can, since they will degrade noticeably in a year... On my stromer the amount of peddle assist reduces to eco when the battery level is below 40%.

I'm must apologize since I've come to realize I sound snarky. I don't mean to. However there are some tall tales and rumors being put forth here that just aren't true. No good battery build should be reduced by half after 300-400 charges. Somethings wrong with the build. I've beat the dickens out of mine and see no depletion in the reading after 250 charges. The wattmeter tells the tale. I'd be all over Stromer. More amp hours AH just means more range. If a battery needs to be full and doesn't perform at 40% there's more to the tale. Poor choice in cells for the build? BMS problems? It would be helpful if when talking about batteries we listed what the build is and where it cam from.

Great conversation! I'm getting ready to do a 48 volt 1000 watt conversion. I'm going bigger because I am 6'5", 230 pounds. OK, I don't need my Big Self on a bike. I just retired and my wife is afraid if I don't get out of my chair, I'm going to croak on her. Besides. I have a bike I want to convert. The only thing keeping me back is I don't know what I am buying. Lucky for me I discovered this blog. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of Ebikes in Central Pennsylvania. I appreciate the comments you have made and look forward to any advice I can get. Thanks!

How about a little info on the system you're considering @George Howell? We could all chime in and help so you don't get stuck and do nothing, which is easy to do given the vast variety of ebike kits on the market. Also, what bike are you going to convert? Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Mid drive is definitely the way to go.
1000w at 48v is a huge power demand even for a 20Ah battery.
Make sure you look for a battery that can cope with well over 20A continuous current (40A would be good).
While this will make your bike heavier, when it comes to power, more is better.

My BBS02 750w mid drive is now just over a year old, around 4000km
Things have stopped falling off it for the time being.

Mid drive only makes sense if you need the torque.. For regular fiddling around or as a commuter, hub drive is best, and it's a lot quieter than mid drive.

There is no 1000W BBS02. Lectric Cycles has rebranded a version with a Gearsensor lead. The 1000W posts got a lot of attention but talking to 3 major resellers 1000W does not yet exist. For commuter use the BBS01 is extremely efficient. An 11.3Ah 36vbattery, charged to 80%, yields 15miles easily. A flat terrain setup with 52/11T gearing will run near 25MPH with a 220lb rider.

I've found the Cycle Satiator to be be best charger investment I've made for battery life. BTW I just finished my 5th BBS install. An incredibly robust motor if managed properly. Most of the problems since the controller update have been user created problems, IMO.

Back