Battery

I would only charge if you need those extra 6 miles on an extra long ride. Electric ebikes can be very difficult to pedal without power uphill in a headwind (found out the hard way).

I would only charge if you need those extra 6 miles on an extra long ride. Electric ebikes can be very difficult to pedal without power uphill in a headwind (found out the hard way).
I agree if I’m just going to the store or my local pub which is about 5 or 6 miles round-trip I won’t charge for days. But if I know I’m gonna have fun all day like I did yesterday going over 35 miles I charge fully.

I agree if I’m just going to the store or my local pub which is about 5 or 6 miles round-trip I won’t charge for days. But if I know I’m gonna have fun all day like I did yesterday going over 35 miles I charge fully.
Agreed. We ride nearly everyday, but we generally don't go far. Maybe 3-10 miles. I ride without charging until the battery gets down to 45-46 volts, then it gets a charge.

How do you measure the voltage?
If I didn't have a direct read out on my display, I would use a voltmeter. After riding for a while, you'll see about where your indicator, whatever type you have that doesn't read in volts, is at when it get down to the point you want to charge it. E.G 2 bars left showing?

I do lots of short rides in the neighborhood of 4- 8 miles, near every day. I charge to 80% run to 50% and then charge again to 80%. Once and a great while I charge fully . The wall plug in after battery plug and the wall plug out before battery plug out.
I often go a full week without charging. Right wrong or indifferent that is my system. If I am going on a really long ride I then do charge fully till the green light comes on the charger. i.e. 100% charged.

The voltage display that comes with the Bolton Upgrade for the Rad is really useful.

As soon as I got my Ultra I adjusted the settings to display volts.

They have meters that you can put in line with the charger to the battery, I have one for each of my chargers they measure volts and amps once it drops below about 0.75 amps you are approximately 80% charged. The last 20% take a long time.

You can measure battery voltage directly from the battery mount contacts with a voltmeter. Flip the battery on its back with the contacts facing you. The large hole contact on the right is Positive, the left is Negative. Insert the key and turn to the Run position to energize the contacts. Correlate the voltage with the number of bars on your display after a few measurements to get a ballpark figure of voltage from your display while riding.

RangerDave

I only charge 100% when I know I need the extra mileage or I know I will use more power if it is going to be a +20 mph windy day. I have +3500 miles on each of my 2016 Radrovers. I probably don't have my 35-40 mile range when new; but, I'm always +30 miles before seeing one bar (I have the old 11.4ah battery). Not topping off daily on short rides, only recharging to a level you need for the next day, and never storing the battery with 100% charge will give you more time on the back end.

several times on that lesson. I didn't calculate headwinds in both directions. A coast line can do that to you. Had to call Mission Control to rescue me. I charge everytime I ride so there is no mistaking the distance I can achieve at this point in my desired ride.

Back