Battery vibrates loss.

jedreay

Region
USA
I have only had my M2S All Terrain Sport R750 Integrated for a month now. Yesterday, the battery vibrated out of the cartage, and I was just riding it in the road. Yes there were bumps and rough road, BUT that is totally unacceptable. Just imaging riding this MTB on a trail. I didn't just fall off the turnip wagon. I still have and ride my Cannondale Jekyll 2002 and rides just like it was off the showroom floor. The reason I purchased this bike, was because I'm getting on in age (64) but enjoy riding. What I can't believe, is the response I got when calling M2S about this issue. I was told to use the straps that are used on some water bottle mounts. "You get what you pay for" has never been more true in this situation. There are many hints to me that indicate this was the wrong bike to buy, or for anyone to buy.

I kinda like the looks/design of the bikes using integrated batteries. Well, I used to anyway. After reading your note I can see where a safety strap at the top of the battery may be a good idea. I like the look of the integrated batteries, but those facing forward and down could be an invitation for trouble it sounds like. Thanks for sharing your experience. Much appreciated!!

I kinda like the looks/design of the bikes using integrated batteries. Well, I used to anyway. After reading your note I can see where a safety strap at the top of the battery may be a good idea. I like the look of the integrated batteries, but those facing forward and down could be an invitation for trouble it sounds like. Thanks for sharing your experience. Much appreciated!!
This seems like a good place to ask a question that came to me after reading recent posts comparing the Rad Rover to the new Aventon Aventure.
I admit I too like the look of the integrated batteries but then I got to thinking what will I do when someday the battery wears out on my RR. The simple thing is buy another RR battery but what if a better after market battery is developed (maybe it already has been) that could be used on my bike. It seems to me if a bike has an integrated battery then your stuck with just that battery. If it's not integrated then you have choices? Thoughts?

A strap is a good idea on most if not all these frame-mounted packs. If for no other reason than as cheap insurance. Hailong packs on emtb's are infamous for snapping tabs and becoming UFOs.

The gen 1 and gen2 magnetic mounts on the Luna Wolf packs are pretty solid, but not invincible. Even though those packs are potted and claim to be completely survivable if they go flying, I use hook/loop cinch straps to make sure it never, ever goes anywhere. The ones I use are 2" wide and a fair bit more heavy duty than a water bottle strap. I also have some 3" straps that make for a good single-strap solution that ensures nothing is going anywhere unless I want it to.

I know its not what you want to hear, but if you want to be *sure* that expensive, breakable pack stays secure ... strap it down.

This seems like a good place to ask a question that came to me after reading recent posts comparing the Rad Rover to the new Aventon Aventure.
I admit I too like the look of the integrated batteries but then I got to thinking what will I do when someday the battery wears out on my RR. The simple thing is buy another RR battery but what if a better after market battery is developed (maybe it already has been) that could be used on my bike. It seems to me if a bike has an integrated battery then your stuck with just that battery. If it's not integrated then you have choices? Thoughts?
At that point you would just send the battery out to get rebuilt via a 3rd party with the newer and better internals (which would likely be cheaper than buying another battery at full MRP anyway). Thats a common practice now to use your current casing rebuilt with better parts for greater amp hours. Many external batteries will have different connection and mounting methods anyway. I guess the only truly fully univeral expandable option is one that is just mounted to a rear rack and uses a positive and negative feed as then you are not confined to any size or connection restrictions.

Agree, the RAD battery is easily replaced by any one of several different suppliers using the "shark"(?) type/style cases. Regarding the built in batteries, there's a very commonly used Reention case, also supplied by several battery pack mfgr's. I would say these are all "generic" - like the "shark" type case. To stay on topic, M2S uses these on several bikes - all of their others actually! https://shop.m2sbikes.com/collections/frontpage.

I'm not sure if the style used on their "Integrated", is one of these generic types as well, though I do see those in use on several other bike mfg's. The Espin Sport and Flow for instance, use what appears to be the same (or very similar?) arrangement with the battery mounted on TOP of the tube..... https://www.espinbikes.com/

-Al

Back