Battery upgrade

Andy1865

Region
United Kingdom
City
Skipton
Hi all. I have currently have a FAT26S900usb with 36v battery and was wondering if i changed the battery for a 48v battery would my Ecotric still work without having to mess about with the electrics of the controller?
I know the S900usb can swop between 36v and 48v but does this mean the controller and the motor can handle a 48v battery?.
Thanks
Andy (U.K)

Hi all. I have currently have a FAT26S900usb with 36v battery and was wondering if i changed the battery for a 48v battery would my Ecotric still work without having to mess about with the electrics of the controller?
I know the S900usb can swop between 36v and 48v but does this mean the controller and the motor can handle a 48v battery?.
Thanks
Andy (U.K)
I wouldn't do it unless your controller/motor are designed to do so and labeled accordingly

Over in the Ecotric group on facebook, someone found that the LCD display used by his Ecotric has an overvoltage error code, and is not afraid to use it. That's a new one to me. Anyway, it rejected the 48V battery. Ecotric has a half dozen different ebike models though, and some of them do work on either 36V or 48V.

It's an oversimplification, but most of us DIY types simply look at the controller board to check the voltage rating on the biggest electrolytic capacitors. If it is showing 63V, safe operation on 48V is possible, If it is 50V, it's only good for 36V. There are other considerations, mainly the low voltage alarm circuit. On some controllers, this is hardwired. On others, the display can modify it.

I have a 36V Ecotric fat tire 20" folder, and it has 63V capacitors and will run on 48V. However, the low voltage circuit is hardwired for 30V, so unless one watches the voltage with a meter, one will run a 48V battery too low. Knowing that, I changed the controller. The motor will handle 48V fine. I've run it all the way to 60V for science.

Back