Battery sleeves for cold climate

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I have been experimenting with battery sleeves for my bikes.
I commuted throughout the winter (last year) using studded tires, bar mitts and a battery sleeve. The bike handled very well. But those were my Bosch powered bikes and on some of the coldest days, my 400whr pack would only last 25 miles.
If anyone is interested in learning how these sleeves help protect the battery, @Joergen8 has some pretty interesting data here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/winter-battery-cover-flir-one-measurements.3457/

I plan on using my ST2 for most part of this winter. I have one, @McSpiffy has another one and I have 2 more left. I can think of few people who may benefit from this. @Alex_C , @opimax , @heliswiss
I will update the thread once I have put few 100 miles in the cold weather.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Wonder if that would fit the bulls battery section, could you measure length and circumference for me Ravi? Thx!

Hi Ravi! Will this sleeve fit on an old stromer v1? Can you recommend where I can buy one? Thanks so much!

Has anyone seen real-world data that shows these neoprene battery covers provide any benefit?

I got one with an Easy Motion Snow and I've seen no benefit from using it. I commute year around in Michigan 20 miles each day. I get the exact same battery drain with and without it. This is over about 3 months of sub 20F riding , alternating days using the cover. My battery percentages are almost exactly the same with and without.

My battery drain is pretty bad when it's cold but the sleeve has made no improvement. It's just not worth fumbling with the zipper to put it on and off.

Has anyone seen real-world data that shows these neoprene battery covers provide any benefit?

I got one with an Easy Motion Snow and I've seen no benefit from using it. I commute year around in Michigan 20 miles each day. I get the exact same battery drain with and without it. This is over about 3 months of sub 20F riding , alternating days using the cover. My battery percentages are almost exactly the same with and without.

My battery drain is pretty bad when it's cold but the sleeve has made no improvement. It's just not worth fumbling with the zipper to put it on and off.

Certain chemistries are more prone to temperature than others. For example, NMC is different from NCA, and both are very different from LiFePO4.

For some reason, the sleeves on my Haibike (Bosch) does help quite a bit!

Reactions: JRA

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-cover-flir-one-measurements.3457/#post-40993

Reactions: JRA
I just purchased a battery sleeve for my bike and having the added protection is great. Fluctuations in battery temperature can make your typical range deviate from its mean. The neoprene sleeve keeps the battery temperature much more consistent, especially when riding in colder temperatures for extended periods of time.

Back