battery pack manufacturer of Frey AM 1000

Nearchos

Region
Europe
Hi!

does anyone know who is the original manufacturer of the battery pack on a Frey e-bike?

I am particularly interested in the AM 1000 but I would imagine it is the same manufacturer for all their battery packs. I am trying to get a model number in order to figure out the specifications of
-the battery management system (BMS)
-the battery cradle

Thanks in advance for any input!

Have you tried emailing Frey about this? They are responsive to questions. I have emailed them a couple of times asking about various bikes.

They have been evading the question for about a month. It seems that the manufacturer of their battery pack is a company that primarily manufactures lawn mowers...

So if anyone cares to show pictures that indicate who manufactured the battery pack from their own Frey ebike, I would be greatly interested...

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Pictures of the case and base? Any markings on the case? Molded in marking? BMS might be identifiable if you are confident enough to open the case. Two major case makers. Shan Shan and Reention.

@Jenny Mao can probably ID the case. 48v21ah @Susie.C

Last edited:
Updated and edited above.
their USA listed battery price is very reasonable.

@Susie.C
Thanks. I have seen this picture.
But I have a source that tells me that their battery pack is not proprietary actually.
My source tells me their batteries are made by this company "金华绿驰" that specializes in lawn mowers...
Lawn mowers is a decent business, I do not assert the opposite. I just wonder whether it is the right battery pack for me...

Last edited:
Thanks. I have seen this picture.
But I have a source that tells me that their battery pack is not proprietary actually.
My source tells me their batteries are made by this company "金华绿驰" that specializes in lawn mowers...
Lawn mowers is a decent business, I do not assert the opposite. I just wonder whether it is the right battery pack for me...
What do you believe you need? What is the right pack?

I would like to have the specifications of:

i) the battery management system (BMS) to figure out if it has
-a separate relay to switch the current
-what is its maximum current limit
-if there a separation (insulation) between the cell groups and which material is this separation made of

ii) the specification (dimensions) of the battery cradle to figure out if I can upgrade to some more mainstream battery pack in the future (or immediately!)
With good quality products you can have this kind of info just by having the brand name and model number. Let's see what I will get on this one.

I just want to avoid making use of the fire brigade at the end of the day... :)

I would like to have the specifications of:

i) the battery management system (BMS) to figure out if it has
-a separate relay to switch the current
-what is its maximum current limit
-if there a separation (insulation) between the cell groups and which material is this separation made of

ii) the specification (dimensions) of the battery cradle to figure out if I can upgrade to some more mainstream battery pack in the future (or immediately!)
With good quality products you can have this kind of info just by having the brand name and model number. Let's see what I will get on this one.

I just want to avoid making use of the fire brigade at the end of the day... :)
I'm guessing but the only way to confirm is to open a battery case or find someone that has opened their battery. But given the price, they sell for I'd be suspicious. You could get an idea about cell spacers by determining which case they used and then compare the rated Ah to determine how many cells are in the case. Reentuin specifications spell out the number of separated cells in each design, but Ah.

So, now I think I get it, you don't have an AM1000 but are considering it? I had mistakenly assumed you already had a Frey bike and were looking for a second battery. OOPS...

A couple of battery builders frequent the endless_sphere Facebook page and endless_sphere. You might post there but with the explanation, you're wanting to be certain their battery is a good build meeting reliable industry standards.

I'm afraid that most builders will cheap out somewhere. My favored builder uses nickel-coated steel ribbons. A false economy to me, but that's just the way it is.

This fellow is on Facebook and advertises rebuilding Frey batteries. He's likely to have some insight. But he is a business, I'd offer a small PayPal payment for a detailed response.

Last edited:
I'm guessing but the only way to confirm is to open a battery case or find someone that has opened their battery. But given the price, they sell for I'd be suspicious. You could get an idea about cell spacers by determining which case they used and then compare the rated Ah to determine how many cells are in the case. Reentuin specifications spell out the number of separated cells in each design, but Ah.

So, now I think I get it, you don't have an AM1000 but are considering it? I had mistakenly assumed you already had a Frey bike and were looking for a second battery. OOPS...

A couple of battery builders frequent the endless_sphere Facebook page and endless_sphere. You might post there but with the explanation, you're wanting to be certain their battery is a good build meeting reliable industry standards.

I'm afraid that most builders will cheap out somewhere. My favored builder uses nickel-coated steel ribbons. A false economy to me, but that's just the way it is.
Yes, I am a prospective buyer. Thanks!!

It's said that they use a Samsung cell, and "绿驰" may be a manufacturer for battery assembly. There is also a local electric car manufacturer that has the same name, so I'm wondering if it was mistaken. Never heard the news that their battery got an explosion since you can search for them on social media.

If FREY does not provide information on their BMS, it could be just poor pre-sales service.
It could also be that they do not have anything good to show for the money they ask though...

The following teardowns refer to older packs, which have ostensibly been revised (not that I saw any clear statements about what changed):

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1391728#p1391728
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1526140#p1526140
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1534631#p1534631

TLDR:
Reention Dorado Max, 505mm case
seventy-eight Samsung 35E cells
Low voltage cutoff at 38 Volts (41 would be wiser)
40 Amps max draw BMS cutoff
90°C thermal cutoff
nickel-plated steel connector plates (can rust)

If I recall correctly, the Bafang m620\g510 motor's stock 48V×30A controller, has 85 Volt MOS-FETs, & 63 Volt capacitors.

Mike at patransformers.com says the controller's original design called for 100 Volt capacitors, which would allow the use of a 60 (or 72 !?) Volt battery.
(Based on the images I've seen of the controller in a Frey Beast, I believe it is an ordinary Bafang m620\g510 controller, re-capped (or special-ordered) with 100V capacitors, to handle the 60V battery used in the Beast?)

Mike also says Bafang has their controller made by PAPCB.com which looks to be located in the same industrial district.

It would not surprise me at all, to find out Frey's batteries are also assembled by a neighboring company, or even in-house.

The following teardowns refer to older packs, which have ostensibly been revised (not that I saw any clear statements about what changed):

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1391728#p1391728
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1526140#p1526140
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1534631#p1534631

TLDR:
Reention Dorado Max, 505mm case
seventy-eight Samsung 35E cells
Low voltage cutoff at 38 Volts (41 would be wiser)
40 Amps max draw BMS cutoff
90°C thermal cutoff
nickel-plated steel connector plates (can rust)

If I recall correctly, the Bafang m620\g510 motor's stock 48V×30A controller, has 85 Volt MOS-FETs, & 63 Volt capacitors.

Mike at patransformers.com says the controller's original design called for 100 Volt capacitors, which would allow the use of a 60 (or 72 !?) Volt battery.
(Based on the images I've seen of the controller in a Frey Beast, I believe it is an ordinary Bafang m620\g510 controller, re-capped (or special-ordered) with 100V capacitors, to handle the 60V battery used in the Beast?)

Mike also says Bafang has their controller made by PAPCB.com which looks to be located in the same industrial district.

It would not surprise me at all, to find out Frey's batteries are also assembled by a neighboring company, or even in-house.
Many thanks to both you and Imagineaudio!

I think the post from Ivanovitch in 2018 gives a good indication of what has happened here

"And, oh surprise. No LG MJ1 cells as advertised. Instead, we get Samsung 35E. 78 of them. In plastic holders."
"I mean, they are good cells but I was sold a MJ1 pack... I don't like that."
"It also happens they are 15% cheaper than the MJ1..."

Back