battery pack manufacturer of Frey AM 1000

FREY now has a decent following in foreign markets outside China.
They may have been using Reention in the past, but have now switched to "金华绿驰" battery packs, possibly celling them in-house, possibly not.

In any case they have cut costs on the battery, but have not passed the cut to the consumer. They feel confident enough in their following to pocket the difference.

Which leads to two questions:

-is their new battery pack solution as reliable as a Reention product?
In the 'endless sphere forum' there seem to be no posts indicating FREY uses reention after 2020. This explains why they do not wish to answer the question when addressed to them directly.

-is their new battery pack solution compatible with alternative battery pack providers or does their battery cradle entail that a FREY owner is stuck with the same battery pack provider forever?
And given that it is a minor producer, what happens if they go bust?

To be fair to FREY, the second question is an industry wide problem. There are no universal battery pack standards, it is not that simple to switch from one battery pack to another with any ebike brand... This is not the car industry. This is a reason to buy an ebike with a reputable battery pack provider though. If not, the difference should be reflected in the price...

Reention is a case maker. Not a battery builder. You’re making no sense.
To agree on the terminology (not that I profess to be either a battery expert or an English language expert) what you call a battery case I call a battery pack and what you probably call a battery pack I call a battery cell pack.

English usage has f*ck all to do with it. FACT. Reention is a case making company. Calling a battery cell pack Reention only confuses the conversation. You’re drawing unsubstantiated conclusions regarding their current cell packs. But hey, carry on, and add nothing to a discussion beyond speculation.
"It also happens they are 15% cheaper than the MJ1..."
More blather based on retail pricing? IMO both are 18650 and up to the task. I’m afraid you’re simply overthinking this.

Frankly, if Frey doesn’t respond I’d say they’re not what you want. AND at their price point @Ravi Kempaiah and Zen is a superior choice and Zen is completely forthcoming on all details regarding their eBikes. See their staff for industry leaders, not followers,

:-D :)
I concede the point on "over thinking it" but qualify it by saying that I would not have to think much if their specs were transparent and detailed.
However, you are right, I am not convinced FREY is for me.
Thank you for your inputs.

I would not have to think much if their specs were transparent and detailed.
Sadly no mainstream seller includes this information. I’m not understanding the reluctance. I’m with you on this point, but it seems the unwashed could generally care less. Which always bring me back to my own builds to my specifications. I’d say Zen for completely transparent builds. Who else has a renowned scientist working on battery pack development.

Sadly no mainstream seller includes this information. I’m not understanding the reluctance. I’m with you on this point, but it seems the unwashed could generally care less. Which always bring me back to my own builds to my specifications. I’d say Zen for completely transparent builds. Who else has a renowned scientist working on battery pack development.
In China the reluctance is partly cultural and partly speculative. If they had a Bosch battery case on board, they would advertise it just fine. ;-)

I need the torque of the M620. I need those 160 Nms to climb mountains. I ride a regular bike on flat surfaces.

I know there are other solutions in this direction

but when I look at maximum torque from a value for money perspective, I'm still down to the M620 matched with a decent, downtube battery case.

Bosch Gen 4 Speed motor capable of 28mph on the Zen is a billy goat of a climber. I don’t understand why riders think they need an M620 to climb. But hey, I say get the bike you like and enjoy! I like Biktrix and have known the owner from the years where he sold only kits. @roshan I’d bet he’d be forthcoming with the details you want.

Bosch Gen 4 Speed motor capable of 28mph on the Zen is a billy goat of a climber. I don’t understand why riders think they need an M620 to climb. But hey, I say get the bike you like and enjoy! I like Biktrix and have known the owner from the years where he sold only kits. @roshan I’d bet he’d be forthcoming with the details you want.
To be honest, I am not sure myself how much of a difference torque of 90Nms will make vs. 160Nms when riding uphill on a 1500 meter mountain.
It's just that I don't wish to find out while taking a turn at ...700 meters of altitude, that's all ;-) :)

I’ve tried to engage Frey in a conversation about their batteries. They’re impossible. I’m convinced they are hiding behind their battery build specifications. That sucks…

I would worry more about getting the most Wh that I could afford, than about the case becoming obsoleted. As tomjasz points out, the Reention Dorado case type is merely the enclosure & latch mechanism. Regardless of brand, they all have just two lengths & one latch type. No worry of the pack type becoming unsupported any time soon: There are a lot of companies building packs in those cases; Jenny Mao at Shanghai Aijiu Energy Tech, maintains a very good level of communication on this very forum.

Among ebikes which use Dorado style cases, all share the same latch type & one of two lengths; however, charge & discharge connectors vary somewhat from one bike brand to another: the Frey AM1000 v5 we ordered, uses a 3pin "mini XLR" type charge connector, & a 6-pin discharge connector.

MJ1 cells are certainly robust, but I believe Frey's switch to 35E cells was necessitated by LG's ongoing supply-side delays (as was a switch from Shimano to SRAM derailleur).

Notably, their 13s6p packs did not skyrocket in price concurrent with what I saw on other sites last year.
Comparing Frey's battery prices to a company like Biktrix is sobering:
$485 for the Frey 48V×21Ah with Samsung 35E cells (currently on-sale at $436.50),
$750 for the same size pack of 35E cells from Biktrix.

The use of Samsung 35E cells is listed on Frey's product pages; what isn't listed in the specs, are the BMS limits & thermal sensor I mentioned; nor the nickel plated strips. Of course every battery seller should specify exactly how their packs are built - it sucks that such details are not the norm across the whole industry. I don't know of any major manufacturer which gives such details; only lower volume builders who live & die by the premium quality of their work.

In particular, Bosch batteries really are nothing special. Not only are all their packs a mere 36 Volts, their largest capacity is 750Wh. Even worse, Bosch tries to lock their electronic components with proprietary coded connections. Aftermarket batteries for Bosch ebikes are available, but only because reverse engineering is legal so long as you don't duplicate the design. Here's what Bosch has to say about having a pro tear down your pack & rebuild it, when that #1 cell inevitably gives out before all the others: "For safety reasons, faulty, old or 'worn out' batteries should not be repaired or refreshed, but should be recycled appropriately. What's more, for your safety Bosch also strongly advises against having batteries repaired. If a battery is faulty, you must completely replace it instead." On the upside, Bosch puts a proper per-cell BMS in their packs... but so do premium battery builders who won't jerk you around with obstruction-in-the-name-of-safety, or "industry leading" prices.

I agree that Zen (& for other case types, also em3ev), would provide pack assembly methods superior to the packs from Frey; just request the right case type + connectors when ordering!

I too, have found that Frey is usually slow to respond to emails. I can only imagine how many they must get... & I only know of two people on their small office staff who are responsible for responding to all such inquiries.

That said, they have been willing to build with alternative components as requested (sometimes at no additional markup; for instance, forks to suit various trim levels are available pre-installed, at no higher price than buying one separately via retail; we did not opt for winter tires, but the price they quoted was less than I would have paid locally for a bare tire unmounted).

The Frey packs are a good enough value that I bought two packs, with the intention of parting out the first one that shows a bit of wear, to have a local pack builder reassemble it with a per-cell BMS. However, at this rate I may opt to have a 52V pack of 14s6p built instead: I am 6'10"\250lbs, so higher voltage helps move me more efficiently even on smaller motors. The m620 certainly gets better range per Watt from a 52V battery than 48V.

In fact, I'd say lower efficiency at low Wattages, is the main downside of m620 motors. At higher power, they run more efficiently & without even getting warm on a long hill. When comparing to a Bosch Cargo line or even a BBSHD, it just doesn't seem a fair comparison: Once the torque sensor is calibrated, the m620 feels preferable to any other ebike motor I've tried, at any speed.
('BaseVoltage' should NOT be left at 0 mV! A value between 730 to 760 mV is what the torque sensor will calibrate to, at 0Kg of pedal force. UART configurable m620 motor+controllers are still available: UART or GTFO.)

I'm interested to hear what you end up getting, & how it goes. Please let us know!

Thank you very much for your inputs. I understand your post just fine (and don't smoke in general) ;-)

"I would worry more about getting the most Wh that I could afford, than about the case becoming obsoleted. "
I agree with this. I don't wish to buy a 1000W motor that is matched with a battery of less than 1008 Wh.

The one disadvantage I have discovered after talking to many other chinese producers is that an external battery case at 1008Wh or more, is likely to be big in size. And if it is big in size and you use it on rough terrain a lot, the screws are likely to loosen up after a while due to vibration. With a low quality frame, this could even render the whole ebike useless.

This had not occurred to me.

However, I would still prefer a fully external or at least a semi-integrated battery case. Integrated cases look nice but replacing it could become tricky.
I also don't have any reason to disagree about your point on Bosch. But the difference between Bosch and "金华绿驰" is that when Bosch set up their first factory, China and Germany were both ruled by an Emperor. However, with no disrespect, China did not have many factories at that time.
I am not looking for a Bosch, but this is what you buy with them. You know they will still be around when you need them. They might not actually provide a solution, but they will be there.

In particular, Bosch batteries really are nothing special. Not only are all their packs a mere 36 Volts, their largest capacity is 750Wh.
Mere due to voltage and WH, but superior BMS, far superior to the budget BMS found in most aftermarket and budget eBikes. I’ve gone back to 36V. Not all riders need higher V and WH.

I found Frey to be incredibly obtuse when trying to discuss their batteries. Not in the least bit forthcoming. Very disappointing.

Mere due to voltage and WH, but superior BMS, far superior to the budget BMS found in most aftermarket and budget eBikes. I’ve gone back to 36V. Not all riders need higher V and WH.

I found Frey to be incredibly obtuse when trying to discuss their batteries. Not in the least bit forthcoming. Very disappointing.
I would much sooner buy a pack with a quality BMS from the likes of Zen or em3ev though, than deal with Bosch schenanigans & higher $-per-Wh than even premium battery builders charge.

Agreed that the lack of transparency from Frey about their batteries is rather offensive & frankly unwise: Despite using high quality name-brand cells in a well proven & commonly available case design, their batteries could be made much better even considering the price. Heck, at the prices they're charging they could just state outright exactly how the packs are made & they'd still get plenty of takers (or maybe end up improving a few things because it wouldn't cost them that much).

Not that the packs Frey's been using are any worse than those included with most prebuilts near their price range (acutally, I've yet to see any prebuilts truly comparable for the price, component for component), but the fact that I literally bought a second pack intending to have it parted out, shows how little confidence I have in a pack that gives no per-cell voltage readout.

if it is big in size and you use it on rough terrain a lot, the screws are likely to loosen up after a while due to vibration. With a low quality frame, this could even render the whole ebike useless.

This had not occurred to me.
YUP! This is exactly why I do not want the AM1000 v6: I detest lifting a large battery into its slot, & don't trust battery slots which insert from below. Every device I've ever had where the battery inserted into the bottom, has had battery retention or connection issues. From cameras to tools to powersports toys, hanging battery trays tend to be "made of fail".

I like the Dorado case's form factor, a lot. It stays put well & the Dorado Max cases fit 21700 cells.

Mostly I just wish Aijiu Energy Tech (or anyone really) made a 14s6p 18650 pack in Dorado format.
The Bafang Ultra is more efficient and more performant, on a 52V battery. 48V is really the bare minimum for that motor.

I would much sooner buy a pack with a quality BMS from the likes of Zen or em3ev
I’ve tried a number of builders and seem to always drift back to EM3ev. But their packs haven’t always been a bundle of joy. I ate a 36V pack with a bum BMS. I got a replacement BMS that didn’t fit and finally just wrote the pack off. I sold many and have several that have never been an issue. Working with Paul is how I came to know RTH and their miserable service. Warrantees are a nightmare with all battery sellers IME. Fortunately EM3ev has and extremely low failure rate and superior build quality. I’m happy with the build quality of Aijiu, but disappointing by the use of steel ribbon. My 21700 packs from Jenny are really great performing packs. My last UPP pack, built to my specification, has been a good build. But it wasn’t budget priced.

however we’re looking from two completely different perspectives. I’ve dumbed down most of my builds. And now only have one 48v 20Ah 21700 Poly pack. 3 retired 48v and 2 retired 52v needing to go to recycling. I’m nt a Bosch customer or buyer but remain pressed by their incredibly low problem/failure rates.

Last edited:
Back