Battery maintenance

Bevan Ratcliffe

I have a Giant Dirt Ebike in its second season.
When I read the manual it suggests every 3 months the battery should be depleted to let the management system recalibrate or something. How far down should the charge be taken? Lots of my reading indicates it is not good to drain lithium batteries and the 'sweet spot' to keep your battery is between 30% and 80%.
Further to running the battery down, has anyone found a good way to drain the battery other than going on a long ride and running out of power 20 km from home?
BTW, I love my bike

I have a Giant Dirt Ebike in its second season.
When I read the manual it suggests every 3 months the battery should be depleted to let the management system recalibrate or something. How far down should the charge be taken? Lots of my reading indicates it is not good to drain lithium batteries and the 'sweet spot' to keep your battery is between 30% and 80%.
Further to running the battery down, has anyone found a good way to drain the battery other than going on a long ride and running out of power 20 km from home?
BTW, I love my bike

A lot of these manuals were written way back and they are often outdated. Documentation, standardization are all Greek and Latin to the E-bike industry. Everything is all over the map. I am not sure which model year you are referring to but Giant uses the Yamaha Sync drive and it's a very reliable system. Yamaha batteries are excellent, provide good range and less prone to the effect of outside temperature unlike some other batteries.
There is absolutely no harm in going down to zero, just don't let it stay there for very long. I am not very familiar with the Yamaha battery BMS but I would imagine it will do the job irrespective of your state of charge.

A lot of these manuals were written way back and they are often outdated. Documentation, standardization are all Greek and Latin to the E-bike industry. Everything is all over the map. I am not sure which model year you are referring to but Giant uses the Yamaha Sync drive and it's a very reliable system. Yamaha batteries are excellent, provide good range and less prone to the effect of outside temperature unlike some other batteries.
There is absolutely no harm in going down to zero, just don't let it stay there for very long. I am not very familiar with the Yamaha battery BMS but I would imagine it will do the job irrespective of your state of charge.

Back