Baffling mid drive with rolloff and gates belt

Adam X P

G'day,

I am looking to convert my rohloff/gates drive rigid commuter to a 750W Bafang mid-drive.

Has anyone done this?

I see from various articles that belt alignment works ok with the rolloff?

I have an eccentric bottom bracket and vertical dropouts - if I change to Bafang, is belt tensioning possible?

Welcome any tips/advice.

Cheers,

I am not sure if there are any belt drive compatible chainrings that fit the Bafang MD, otherwise it should work.

I have a Trek Soho with the Gates belt drive and have looked at the Bafang mid-drive kit but have not found a crank ring that would work. Guessing a good metal fabrication guy could match the belt crank ring to the Bafang mid-drive.

California eBike posted some info on their sitr. Google it there are builds out there.

G'day,

I am looking to convert my rohloff/gates drive rigid commuter to a 750W Bafang mid-drive.

Has anyone done this?

I see from various articles that belt alignment works ok with the rolloff?

I have an eccentric bottom bracket and vertical dropouts - if I change to Bafang, is belt tensioning possible?

Welcome any tips/advice.

Cheers,
I believe that your eccentric bb is likely not compatible with a Bafang motor. If you can manage to somehow get everything mounted and lined up. Keep in mind that the Rohloff might not shift well without a shift interuptor to cut motor power when shifting. I have a R&M Delite GX HS, Bosch/Gates/Rohloff E-14 and although the Bosch software includes shift interruption I still experience shift hesitation, roughness if I don’t consciously ease up momentarily when shifting.

Back