Bafang's Propietary Battery Port?

LimboJim

Region
USA
I can't seem to track down an XT60 adapter to fit Bafang's new (?) propietary (??) charger port for its batteries (lower left of pic below).
Does anyone know what it's called and who might carry it? I hope to use my 80-90-100 smart charger and don't want to splice this one to it.

1704209015453.png

The only place I know of that does conversion plugs is Electro Bike World, but those are meant for the new motor plugs (to convert to the old motor plug and in turn plug into a controller), which are round and 3-pinned but not the same as the charger plug you are showing.

And yes, its proprietary. When you bought into the latest Bafang ecosystem you lost the seamless ability to use anything but their equipment. From what I have heard (via the High Voltage channel IIRC... its been awhile) that third pin is a data path that handshakes with the battery to ensure its genuine Bafang before the battery will start accepting a charge.

And also, some of the Bafang batteries are 12S packs. Its a rare in-between stepping up over 36v (10S) and a bit less than 48v (13S). Max charge on those is 49.2v, and some people think they are 48v packs because of that peak voltage number. They ain't. Some of the new packs are 14S (52v) so there's a little bit more to pay attention to than usual with their new OEM stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks - this is a true 48v system that came with the REI Co-op 1.2 ebike, which is currently marked down to less than $1200 from $1900 (I got mine used for way less with under 100 miles).

It's using Bafang's BT F35 battery (below), and I'm also thinking ahead to the day a new battery and/or charger will be needed. This far I can't find any retailer that carries it or its charger.

Thanks G for the Julet name of the port type. I did find this site that you must inquire for pricing/ordering, so it's presumably a Chinese seller: https://www.edrive-tech.com/BT-F35-pd720302188.html

I'll post here if/when I get a response - if they have the battery then hopefully they have the charger.

1704229733597.png

It's not.
I have the same issue and all I can find out is that it's a Julet
I'm just about ready to hack into the charge cable and make my own extension

Our team will get this resolved. This is a common connector used in several EU brands.
With the nascent state of the E-bike industry, lack of standardization has led to a variety of charge port designs and as the market matures, we will see EV-grade charge ports for micromobility devices.
It took 5+ years to convince a trillion-dollar company like Apple to switch from Lightning port to USB-C. It took so much effort to convince all OEMs to use NACS (Tesla standard) and even then it won't take effect until 2025 for GM and Ford.
The E-bike market will go through a similar shift and the one that ends up being the standard will be different from all the port designs that brands are using.
A port that can handle 10A of current, transmit data, and communicate with BMS seamlessly while being compact and IP67 - I think we will get there shortly.

I can't seem to track down an XT60 adapter to fit Bafang's new (?) propietary (??) charger port for its batteries (lower left of pic below).
Does anyone know what it's called and who might carry it? I hope to use my 80-90-100 smart charger and don't want to splice this one to it.

View attachment 168974

Our team can certainly assist. I will be visiting Bafang in the next 40 days and if there is anything I can do and convey, don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks Rav'
Standardization will be great when it gets here... But I'm so used to adapting, it's not that big of an issue as long as connectors can be identified and sourced.

View attachment 168974
It's a Cusmade 1103B but there is still no retail source for these. Maybe they will sell directly to you?

I did find this site that you must inquire for pricing/ordering, so it's presumably a Chinese seller: https://www.edrive-tech.com/BT-F35-pd720302188.html

I'll post here if/when I get a response - if they have the battery then hopefully they have the charger.

Here's all I wrote in my first inquiry yesterday:

Hello, I can't find a US seller of Bafang-branded batteries and charges, but came across your website while trying.

Here's what I got back (note that I have not yet re-responded):

Thanks for your inquiry for bafang products

We are the Authorized Dealer for bafang motors , you can buy all products from us for bafang products . We have stock for many types and have lower price than bafang

Those items you want ?

Have any request , please feel free to inform me

Thanks and best regards

Joe
EDRIVE TECH
SuLV Industrial Zone, Yueqing City, Zhejiang Province, 325604 China

TEL:0086- 577-61609710 FAX:0086- 577-61713067

Mob : +86 13868793667 Whatsapp : +86 13868793667

The first time I heard that Bafang had started offering its branded complete conversion kits in the US - battery, motor, etc - they was on eunarau's website well more than a year ago. As I remember it, eunarau claimed it had exclusive US selling rights.

That appears to have been short lived, as there have been no Bafang kits on that website dating back nearly a year. I also started noticing about a year ago that many quality bike brands - including Zen 👍 - were using Bafang hub and mid motors as OEM on some models. Note: my estimated timing on all of that may be a bit askew thanks to pandemic-induced time warps...

Anyway, special thanks to @Ravi Kempaiah for the offer to help clarify and resolve this directly with Bafang. (You may well know the answers already!) I'd especially love to find out whether m@Robertson's comment that the "third pin is a data path that handshakes with the battery to ensure its genuine Bafang before the battery will start accepting a charge." That of course would mean I could not use my smart charger, even if I'm able to find an adapter.

Regardless, I'd also like to know if Bafang has any North American authorized resellers of these new systems to ensure that post-warranty failed chargers, motors and/or worn out batteries can be affordably replaced without having to wait a month to go through customs etc. If they don't, do they have plans to?

Hopefully so!

I'd especially love to find out whether m@Robertson's comment that the "third pin is a data path that handshakes with the battery to ensure its genuine Bafang before the battery will start accepting a charge." That of course would mean I could not use my smart charger, even if I'm able to find an adapter.

Data communication needs 4 pins; 2 pins for voltage and 2 pins - CAN-hi and CAN-lo for the CANbus protocol to communicate with the BMS.
A single pin will not be able to make use of the CANbus, and in most cases, the third pin is typically used for temperature sensing.

Grin tech has a wonderful guide on their website: https://ebikes.ca/learn/connectors.html

Image taken from another forum:

1704298248832.png

1704298302015.png

Here's all I wrote in my first inquiry yesterday:

Here's what I got back (note that I have not yet re-responded):

The first time I heard that Bafang had started offering its branded complete conversion kits in the US - battery, motor, etc - they was on eunarau's website well more than a year ago. As I remember it, eunarau claimed it had exclusive US selling rights.

That appears to have been short lived, as there have been no Bafang kits on that website dating back nearly a year. I also started noticing about a year ago that many quality bike brands - including Zen 👍 - were using Bafang hub and mid motors as OEM on some models. Note: my estimated timing on all of that may be a bit askew thanks to pandemic-induced time warps...

Anyway, special thanks to @Ravi Kempaiah for the offer to help clarify and resolve this directly with Bafang. (You may well know the answers already!) I'd especially love to find out whether m@Robertson's comment that the "third pin is a data path that handshakes with the battery to ensure its genuine Bafang before the battery will start accepting a charge." That of course would mean I could not use my smart charger, even if I'm able to find an adapter.

Regardless, I'd also like to know if Bafang has any North American authorized resellers of these new systems to ensure that post-warranty failed chargers, motors and/or worn out batteries can be affordably replaced without having to wait a month to go through customs etc. If they don't, do they have plans to?

Hopefully so!
I also don't think the third pin is "communication" but it can be used as a simple confirmation that the charger is connected to the battery... usually by providing a ground.
I've also seen it used to disable the motor such as with a golf cart to keep from driving off while plugged in.
This said you can still use a smart charger by providing an external jumper. In the case of my DIY Smart Charger ... I just connect it straight through without breaking through the relay. You'd have to test but you might have to provide an additional ground. A manufacturere schematic would be golden.

Last edited:
Data communication needs 4 pins; 2 pins for voltage and 2 pins - CAN-hi and CAN-lo for the CANbus protocol to communicate with the BMS.
A single pin will not be able to make use of the CANbus, and in most cases, the third pin is typically used for temperature sensing.

Grin tech has a wonderful guide on their website: https://ebikes.ca/learn/connectors.html

Image taken from another forum:

View attachment 169012

View attachment 169013
So Mr. Ravi'.. are you suggesting my ZEN charger is monitoring battery temp through the 3rd pin?
And while I have your attention... do you have the tracking number for my charger extension cable/connectors? 🙃

are you suggesting my ZEN charger is monitoring battery temp through the 3rd pin?
In your battery, the third pin is used as ground and the two main pins are rated for 5A charge current.
do you have the tracking number for my charger extension cable/connectors?
Just the extension cables for your smart charger right?
I have asked our service team to reach out to you today.

In your battery, the third pin is used as ground and the two main pins are rated for 5A charge current.

Just the extension cables for your smart charger right?
I have asked our service team to reach out to you today.
Got it... Thanks.
Yes an extension cable with the Zen 3 pin charge port connector M/F
When adapted this will allow me to series my Smart Charge Controller between your charger and battery.

Last edited:
Back