Bafang Ultra (and BBSxx) Tuning

Deal is, different strokes, as mentioned already.

I'm fine with the over the top power already available, there was certainly no need for more here! I was able to set up my controller well enough to be wearing a big grin here as well. There is nothing lacking/that I would like changed at this point. If you can say the same, I'm happy for you.

Difference being, it cost me 20 bucks for a cable, and I can change it to anything else I might want to try (including turning up the available amperage) on a whim - for free - on a moments notice.

I get the fact there are those that are not interested, or able (for one reason or another), to do their own mods like this, and for those, WW (or others) might be a great plan. There's no right or wrong here. I'm just pointing out that many of us might be able to do a better job (one that suits our 'druthers perfectly) left to our own devices. Your call! Do as you wish. -Al

Last edited:
Those that do not know any better think because they paid more, they received more. Great for the economy.
But for me.. paying more to be at the mercy of others.... well....🤔

Great thread guys! Just about to start down the rabbit hole that is "ya know" 😈

i did have a friend do some tuning on my ultra when i first got it and it was ok
but the archon controller is really smooth, we were not able to get the stock controller that smooth and i am doubtful that is possible

that being said it may not matter to a lot of people like ahicks said

i am ok with paying extra for a different cable and programming stuff to do my archon, but thats just me
i want to change 2 settings slightly on mine but am ok with where it is also

$1100 GTFOH! I'll do my own!

That's funny as hell! He said all that with a straight face too! He must think i've had a bad crash and damaged my head! lol 👍

ahicks thanks for taking the time to compile all those resources on the programming though!
very cool
Thanks much Vincent.

I ran across another article the other day and bookmarked it. His work applies more to BBSxx drives, which of course the Ultra folks use as well, but doesn't include anything regarding the torque sensor settings. I saved it not for his suggested settings (which don't look bad) but for his explanations regarding how he arrived at those settings. I felt those explanations help somebody (like me) just getting their feet wet, to understand each setting more clearly, and if nothing else, it's the same material from a different perspective. IMHO, worth reading if you have any interest. -Al

I actually just bought a bbs02 bike and am interested in understanding the programming more so this great, thanks for posting

TJ if what you say is true then have the retailer charge me again for the cable and send it back to me. Never was my intention to fleece anyone. Funny that the "amazon cable" I got with the clear see thru shrink on the usb adadpter was wired differently than the one I sent back. I checked each pin location (5) on the 2 programing cable plugs starting at the guide tab to the location on the pc board/ USB adadpter and they were physically not wired the same. Same computer used as before and as soon as I plugged in the new " amazon" cable it automatically filled in the "Com" port setting ( Com3), Baud rate changed to 9600, and software/ data info appeared and I was able to "Read" or "Write" if I chose to. Thanks again for the heads up on the cable I will try to be more careful in the future.

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I'm 100% happy with Roshan's tuning. My bike is smooth and powerful and so quiet. I guess leaving well enough alone works for me.

TForan-
Well, if there comes a day when you find yourself wondering if SOMETHING could be better, to the point you'd like to do some research/check into it, I think that may be what we could discuss/encourage here. Sure, run your idea past Roshan too if you like. I'd just like to try and collect a bunch of others with similar interests that could bounce ideas around. This could possibly lead to a pool of information available for all to easily access.

An example might be one thing bugging me at the moment. With my current settings I find that I'd like a little more wattage available in PAS1. The torque sensing starts out nicely down low, but in the mid range, I have to pedal really hard to get anything over 156 watts. When I go to PAS2 it seems to jump too high, starting at something over 200 watts and going up from there.

In my "perfect" scenario, I'd like to see an overlap between the high end of PAS1 and the low end PAS2. I think if I could get PAS1 to top out at about 225w and PAS2 to start at about 150w, it might serve my purposes a little better. Rather than go in and start plugging numbers in everywhere to try (and possibly getting lost/discouraged in the process) , currently spending some time to collect a more focused plan. When I have what I want to do straight in my head (in this case an overlapping PAS1 and PAS2), I'll dig in and do some reading to figure out how I can do that. THEN I'll plug some stuff in and try it! -Al

TForan-
Well, if there comes a day when you find yourself wondering if SOMETHING could be better, to the point you'd like to do some research/check into it, I think that may be what we could discuss/encourage here. Sure, run your idea past Roshan too if you like. I'd just like to try and collect a bunch of others with similar interests that could bounce ideas around. This could possibly lead to a pool of information available for all to easily access.

An example might be one thing bugging me at the moment. With my current settings I find that I'd like a little more wattage available in PAS1. The torque sensing starts out nicely down low, but in the mid range, I have to pedal really hard to get anything over 156 watts. When I go to PAS2 it seems to jump too high, starting at something over 200 watts and going up from there.

In my "perfect" scenario, I'd like to see an overlap between the high end of PAS1 and the low end PAS2. I think if I could get PAS1 to top out at about 225w and PAS2 to start at about 150w, it might serve my purposes a little better. Rather than go in and start plugging numbers in everywhere to try (and possibly getting lost/discouraged in the process) , currently spending some time to collect a more focused plan. When I have what I want to do straight in my head (in this case an overlapping PAS1 and PAS2), I'll dig in and do some reading to figure out how I can do that. THEN I'll plug some stuff in and try it! -Al
Sounds like you really like to tinker, which is fine. I only ride in PAS3 to 5 without any throttle and I don't ever think I'd like to change this or that. But, that's just me. Carry on!

TForan-

Just a thought.. but on Page 1 have you tried increasing the current for PAS 1 and lowering the current for PAS 2

Sounds like you really like to tinker, which is fine. I only ride in PAS3 to 5 without any throttle and I don't ever think I'd like to change this or that. But, that's just me. Carry on!
I get where you are coming from as my default is to leave well enough alone.
That said I also like to tinker when there are advantages. And only using 3 of 9 PAS is really leaving a lot on the table. I ride a lot of different terrain and having a wide range of assistance is advantageous.
Here are 2 examples of the benefits of being able to make changes. Not long ago I replaced my Chainwheel and Flywheel with minor changes to the gearing ratios and being able to fine tune the motor to the changes was helpful. Another is now that the cold weather is here my knee is really acting up and I want a little more assistance than I did during the summer. Easily being able to add a little more assistance makes me a happy camper. And when(if) my knee feels strong again I can switch back to my previous settings in under 30 seconds.
Just something to think about. . .

Lots of good points of view and a great place for someone like me to learn, and learn i am! It's awesome!

But..... the price of this controller is crazy! In saying that..... "the price" is what someone is willing to pay.... right? 🤪

I get where you are coming from as my default is to leave well enough alone.
That said I also like to tinker when there are advantages. And only using 3 of 9 PAS is really leaving a lot on the table. I ride a lot of different terrain and having a wide range of assistance is advantageous.
Here are 2 examples of the benefits of being able to make changes. Not long ago I replaced my Chainwheel and Flywheel with minor changes to the gearing ratios and being able to fine tune the motor to the changes was helpful. Another is now that the cold weather is here my knee is really acting up and I want a little more assistance than I did during the summer. Easily being able to add a little more assistance makes me a happy camper. And when(if) my knee feels strong again I can switch back to my previous settings in under 30 seconds.
Just something to think about. . .
When I stated 3-5 , I have mine set on 1-5, not 1-9. I'm on 5 for 80% of my riding. Also, I don't do winter riding. Never could see the fun in that.

Back