Bafang Display vs App

AdilDesai

Hi.

I've recently purchased a Bafang powered e-bike using the Ultra motor (a Watt Wagon). Rather than posting on the Watt Wagon forum, I thought I would start here.

The Bafang display seems pretty nice and functional, but takes up a decent amount of real estate on the handlebar. Has anyone used the Bafang app on their smartphone to replace the stock e-bike display? Is that even doable?

I think I'd rather attach my smartphone to have the added functionality of maps, music, podcasts, et cetera while riding versus having both attached to the handlebar.

Thanks...and hope everyone is well.

You need to buy an eggrider v2. Works with the stock Ultra, but I don't think it is compatible with the new Watt Wagons X1 controller. The latter may eventually have app capability but for the stock Ultra you need an eggrider if you want to connect to or program the controller via app.

It looks like depending on your bike display, you may be able to connect to various mobile apps (Bafang Go, I-Bike, I-Bike+). Because the display (and not the controller or motor) is providing the Bluetooth functionality, you won’t be able to use your phone (running the app) to replace the bike display.

Innotech the company that make the Archon x1 controller are producing there own display I think it is meant to be smaller. And Pushkar at Wattwagons has been talking about app controlled tuning in the near future this may also have the display function's you are after, not sure.

But I kinda like the bafang display tbh it does not take up much bar space because it is positioned over the stem, and the mount gives it quite a degree of adjustment to get it out of the way.

Looking at the reviews on that bafang app link it does not look like it works.

Last edited:
I concur.. The over stem mount displays do not take up much real estate at all. Additionally you won't run down your phone battery and the information will be without delay or buggy apps to deal with. I'd also add that Chinese apps are notorious for requesting many unnecessary permissions on your phone.

Back