Bafang Display DPC-18 Calorie Counter - kCal Metric

mail_e36

Friends,

Not to be pedantic, but I recently decided to test the Bafang Display's DPC-18 'calorie counter', which is measured in the 'kCal' metric.

I am unsure that exacty 'kCal' stands for (perhaps 'Thousands' of Calories, thus the 'k'?), but it does appear to work exactly as advertised.

I rode my very heavy ebike for 4 miles practically without motor assistance (in power mode zero, PAS0) for over an hour (across a fairly smooth surface) and the kCal calorie counter went over 100 kCal.

Then, I tested by riding a bit with just the throttle alone (no pedal assist), and the kCal metric did not go up whatsoever.

And finally, I rode at a high rate of speed in power assist level five (PAS5) for a bit (with serious pedaling assisting the motor), and hit 30 kCal within less-than-ten-minutes of riding.

Has anyone else looked at their calorie counter on the Bafang DPC-18 display?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DPC-18 Baganf.jpg
    DPC-18 Baganf.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 128
Hey!
I've also checked out the calorie counter on the display. It's pretty cool to see how it tracks.... But using only the throttle without pedal assist doesn't seem to affect it much.... However, when I go full throttle with power assist level five and give it my all with serious pedaling, that calorie counter shoots up like crazy! If you're interested in understanding the science behind calorie burning during physical activities, biochemistry can provide valuable insights. Check out this website to explore more

Last edited:
At the very least, for an ebike to measure rider calories burned during a ride, it would have to record rider power delivered to the crank and integrate the rider power curve between the desired endpoints.

Problem is, most ebikes lack the sensors needed to measure rider power at the crank. And I doubt that many have the built-in computing needed to do the recording and math.

If your bike has the necessary sensors, you might be able to find an aftermarket bike computer or app to record their outputs and do the math externally. Others might have suggestions here.

Any other approach to calories burned would have to be based on dubious estimates and assumptions. Ebikes don't get a pass on the laws of physics.

Last edited:
How can you have a calorie counter when your not measuring your heart rate? My bosch with the power meter and heart rate give me about the same as my garmin calorie count. but if I am not wearing my HRM it way high on the garmin. the calculation can never be precise because people vary so much. but at least the two pretty much agree.
You need a power meter or torque enor that can give you how many watts your producing and your HR to get an idea. but without either its jut a shot in the dark.

Back