Bafang BBS02B 750W 48V Mid Drive Motor Identification

Orion Supernova

Region
Australia
Hi All,

Bit of an odd situation, but i'm wondering if there's any way to differentiate between a 500W and a 750W Bafang Mid drive motor without relying on external stickers?

- During the last week of January 2022 I purchased a 750W conversion kit from a local company.

- Company's website said they were out of stock.

- Company called and told me they were out of stock and that i would have to wait several weeks due to Chinese New Year.

- Instead though, 1 week later, a kit got shipped out to me.

- As i was looking through all the parts, i noticed that the motor unit had a 500W sticker on it, they battery that was sent, matched the one i ordered, it was just that the motor said 500W

- I reported this immediately to the company, they apologized, and asked if i would be willing to accept the 500W with a refund.
The person i spoke with sounded less than pleased when i insisted i wanted the 750W, but they told me they would ship a replacement unit out to to me once it came in, they told me that i would need to return the battery as well because they were a matching pair, and suited each other.

- 2 weeks later i called them again to check on my order, was told no stock had arrived yet, i asked how they would like to handle the return.
Their was a pause as they obviously had not considered this, and they told me they would send me freight stickers with my replacement unit in order to have the 500W version returned.

- The next day i had a call from someone else at the store telling me that the unit i had was really a 750W, just with a 500W sticker on it.
Apparently they had received a couple of units that had been mislabeled from the factory, and it wasn't until another customer had complained that they remembered me and so called to let me know.
I informed them that i would rather have a unit that was labelled correctly, and was told by the person i was speaking with that he could print off a replacement sticker if i wished and send that too me.

So i'm wondering if there is any way to identify the different units?
I was told that there was no really difference between the 500W and 750W as it was just the controller (or control unit) that determined this.
I didn't ask what he meant by this as it sounded strange to me and i feared that he was just going to start throwing technical jargon at me to convince me.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

This whole situation seems really suspicious, first being asked if i wanted to just accept the wrong unit, then being told i actually had the correct unit and that the factory just mislabeled it.
With the offer to print another sticker, i don't trust that the company wont just resticker the unit i return to them, and resend it to me.

All of the items are at work and in original packaging, and i can organise to add photos of the units here on the forum tomorrow if that helps.

When you say local... Can you go there or just in Au somewhere?
These are common tactics of a bad business (Chinese) just looking to offload their current stock. Keep in mind the battery may have a similar problem.
Me personally, I would tell them you want to return it and want a full refund and start over. Contact your credit card bank and see if this can be disputed with the facts as they are now. If so, open the dispute immediately.

The company is one based here in Victoria, everything seemed above board, really friendly and helpful on the phone.
Your comfort level with the purchase is up to you.
There are stamped numbers on the motor.. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on differentiating a 500w from a 750W.
Did the battery have any markings? A smaller capacity battery maybe harder to tell as well without load testing.

Here are the pictures of the Labeling / Stamping / Stickers from the motor and battery.

I do note the 750 in the stamping in the second image, which is what makes me willing to believe it's correct, but i was hoping someone could confirm this for me?

Attachments

• Battery Label 2.png
    Battery Label 2.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 871
  • Controller 2.png
    Controller 2.png
    718.2 KB · Views: 864
  • Motor 2.png
    Motor 2.png
    959.9 KB · Views: 879
Not a definitive answer but I purchased mine as a 750 watt and it is marked with a 750 on both the motor and controller.
Most notably on the motor with the 750W. The shipping box was marked 750W as well.
Note mine was purchased early 2020

edit.. Found an old pic
IMG_20200711_072351.jpg

If your display connector is round (not 5 sided) you can connect it to a PC to see its rating.
I believe the 500w is 18a and the 750w is 25a.
This will only tell you the rating of the controller.

Last edited:
It's a 750 ( by model and serial # ) so;
don't worry be happy build your machine and ride it,
pictures please.

It's a 750 ( by model and serial # ) so;
don't worry be happy build your machine and ride it,
pictures please.
What are the determining markings for you?
They do make a 500W BBSO2B (by model)
And it is clearly marked 500W

Not a definitive answer but I purchased mine as a 750 watt and it is marked with a 750 on both the motor and controller.
Most notably on the motor with the 750W. The shipping box was marked 750W as well.
Note mine was purchased early 2020

edit.. Found an old pic
View attachment 115513

If your display connector is round (not 5 sided) you can connect it to a PC to see its rating.
I believe the 500w is 18a and the 750w is 25a.
This will only tell you the rating of the controller.
What are the inked-over markings in all pictures?

I've never seen any "5 sided" connectors on a BBSxx series motor.

Lunamate is in Perth and a reliable shop. https://luna-mate.com

I believe 48V 500W are BBS02B and 36V 500W are BBS01B.
Bafang has produced some motors for eBike companies that are different from common kit specifications.
A 48V motor core could run with a 500W or a 750W controller.

What are the inked-over markings in all pictures?

I've never seen any "5 sided" connectors on a BBSxx series motor.

Lunamate is in Perth and a reliable shop. https://luna-mate.com

I believe 48V 500W are BBS02B and 36V 500W are BBS01B.
Bafang has produced some motors for eBike companies that are different from common kit specifications.
A 48V motor core could run with a 500W or a 750W controller.
The inked over was the full serial number. Can any info other than production date be gotten from the full serial number?
The 5 sided connector is the new CANBUS controller and display port as it requires a CANBUS Display.

The OP's concern is that he paid the higher cost of a 750w and received a 500w setup
Can one ass_ume that a motor marked 500w, is in fact 500w?

Sorry, I just went back and read the OP.

Is this one of the newest releases? Requiring a motor battery match-up?

The battery output 15A. That would make it suited to a 500W motor. The motor cores should be the same for 500W and 750W.
48V 750W is not a 15A controller.

The word "sticker" is throwing me. The engraved markings tell the tale.
Has the CANBUS full kit been released for sale on AU?

500W BBSO2B
This is correct.

My 36V 500W BBS02B direct from factory, June 2021 build controller, also has 750 markings as in the OP's pictures.
It's not just a matter of stickers. 500W motor and controller is lower powered than a 750W.

My brain is still stuck on the OP wording, "sticker".

I'd insist on a new kit, clearly labeled BBS02B 750W, and a suitable battery. 15A battery will dumb down the performance.

This is correct.

My 36V 500W BBS02B direct from factory, June 2021 build controller, also has 750 markings as in the OP's pictures.
It's not just a matter of stickers. 500W motor and controller is lower powered than a 750W.

My brain is still stuck on the OP wording, "sticker".

I'd insist on a new kit, clearly labeled BBS02B 750W, and a suitable battery. 15A battery will dumb down the performance.
Fixed the labeling of the images for you. :p

15A battery will dumb down the performance.
It's a 15Ah (not 15A rated continuous output) battery so he could be ok
@Orion Supernova .... Can you post links to the battery and motor page of the website you purchased from.

So from what i'm reading, it's possible i've received a 500W motor with a 750W controller?
Anything seems possible in the Bafang reseller wild, wild west.
But if it looks like a duck (bs) and sounds like a duck (bs).... Then it's more than likely a duck.

My thoughts are... if a 500w and 750w motor were identical, why would Bafang mark them differently? Yeah they may be interchangeable, but thats not what you paid for.

Now on the controller, it may be easy to tell by connecting a windows PC or android app.
Which display port does your harness have?
images (1).jpeg
UART

----------------Or-----------------

download.jpeg
CANBUS

If you have the UART Controller, then you are in luck.
I'd buy one of these cables (also available on ebay and Aliexpress) right away and you'll easily be able to tell the controller rating.
The cable is a must in any case as being able to personalize the settings is one of the best parts of owning this motor.... That and the stock program is usually clunky and too aggressive for most.

So from what i'm reading, it's possible i've received a 500W motor with a 750W controller?
Unlikely, I've never seen this happen, but I suppose could be possible.
It's a 15Ah (not 15A
OOPS!!! I swear the was no "h". A mind is a terrible thing to lose....
Anything seems possible in the Bafang reseller wild, wild west.
Sadly, yes.

The 750 in his picture isn't a W rating.

Thanks for the kind correction. You're experiencing one of several reasons for bagging support. The last TIA definitely affected my memory and cognition.

Back