Aventure battery in stock

triberehab

Region
USA
Just letting the Aventure owners know that the battery is in stock, has been for a few days now. I picked one up and shipping was fast.

Aventon ships the battery WITHOUT the face cover which is honestly BS, I asked support if they plan on selling it but so far they don't know. The battery does mount into the frame without it but it leaves a huge open gap. I'll post pics later today.

Left is the shipped battery WITHOUT the cover.

Attachments

• PXL_20220522_205223747.jpg
    PXL_20220522_205223747.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 198
Mine arrives Tuesday, but I didn't know you don't get the faceplate. That's kinda... sketchy. But then "sketchy" seems to be Aventon's thing.

Guess maybe I'll draw up something in sketchUp and have Shapeways print it out for me. Time to grab the calipers and notepad...

You know, should have occurred to me they don't include the faceplate because there was no colour option.
Was thinking rather than 3d print I might just do a foam and glass. So many possible ways of doing it. Fiberglass might be more durable and I know it would hold paint better.

Got the battery in-hand and yeah, no faceplate.

More I think on filling the gaps around the battery, the simpler and simpler the tech I'm thinking of using since it's purely cosmetic.
I might cheap down even further with balsa or even insulation foam.

The foam would be easy to cut to shape, hit it with modge-podge, fiberglass gelcoat, or some other protectant so any hardener or paint doesn't dissolve the foam, 3-4 coats of lac or other hard coating, sand smooth, then prime and paint. Be a good afternoon project for an upcoming weekend. I really don't think this warrants anything as complex as fiberglass or 3d printing the more I look at the problem.

The original plate is oddly shaped, and might prove tough to replicate especially the spots they have that curve inwards. I'll probably just go with flat surfaces as I doubt many would notice the difference. I'm surprised -- though I shouldn't be -- that the original plate is glued on. Given the way it almost breaks when you try to remove it, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually contact cement... which is probably what I'll use to apply my plate to the blank.

I think I'm going to leave the area around the power button uncovered. I can actually see the light without the faceplate and it's plastic over-button in place far better, which is one of my complaints about the stock battery. That blue light is impossible to see in daylight leaving you guessing if the battery is on or off.

I'll document best I can and post up my results here when I get around to doing this.

Back