Aventon Pace 500 vs. Level?

Vicjam52

I’m going to be buying my first e-bike and comfort is a big factor. I’ve had a spinal cord injury and an infection in the lumbar spine in the past, and currently have spinal scoliosis which can be painful. I’ve modified my existing regular bike to be quite upright, added a seat suspension put some shocks on and and that works pretty well. I’m interested in both the Aventon Pace 500 and the Level and would appreciate some advice. The Level seems a lot heavier from the shocks, rack and fenders, but the rest seems pretty similar. It’s hard to tell which one is more upright and would give me the most comfortable ride. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've only ridden the Pace 500 step thru, and it was very upright. It weighs about 49 pounds compared to the Level which I believe weighs about 10 pounds more. I could have tried the Level but the extra weight put me off. My knees seem to take turns being less stable which makes a heavier step over a problem sometimes and since I'm not getting younger I decided against a step over. Generally step overs put you in a more forward position which the Level does, than a step thru. I have a non electric bike that is a step over but I'm only holding up a 28 pound bike. Using a forward position bike makes better use of all your leg muscles, but if you are having back problems you might not be comfortable. I found the Pace 500 step thru quite comfortable and if you read the review it says that it is upright/upright relaxed. Aventon seems to be getting new dealers all the time I would check to see what is close and try them out for yourself. From you comments I would think the Pace 500 would work better for you.

I've only ridden the Pace 500 step thru, and it was very upright. It weighs about 49 pounds compared to the Level which I believe weighs about 10 pounds more. I could have tried the Level but the extra weight put me off. My knees seem to take turns being less stable which makes a heavier step over a problem sometimes and since I'm not getting younger I decided against a step over. Generally step overs put you in a more forward position which the Level does, than a step thru. I have a non electric bike that is a step over but I'm only holding up a 28 pound bike. Using a forward position bike makes better use of all your leg muscles, but if you are having back problems you might not be comfortable. I found the Pace 500 step thru quite comfortable and if you read the review it says that it is upright/upright relaxed. Aventon seems to be getting new dealers all the time I would check to see what is close and try them out for yourself. From you comments I would think the Pace 500 would work better for you.
Thanks for sharing your experience. There’s a dealer in my community and I’ll check them out. I also want to get some user’s experiences.

The Aventon Pace 500 was my runner up and I liked even with no assist. I ended up getting a Giant LaFree E+2 which is $1,999. It is also a step thru and very comfortable but doesn't have a throttle and with back problems you might want to have one on occasion. I thought I did too until I tried the LaFree. It still took me awhile to finally decide, the LaFree seems more like a bike, the rear hub motors seem more like a motorcycle to me.

My local bike shop told me that with the Pace 500, you are more upright, than on the Level, also that the handle bars can be adjusted on the Pace, but not on the Level. The Level weighed 10 to 12 pounds more than the Pace.

I have the Pace 500 and I think it has a very comfortable riding position for my back. I bought a suspension seat post and I raised the handlebars slightly higher than the way my LBS had them adjusted. After more than 350 miles, it has been a wonderful riding bike and I am glad I bought it.

I have the Pace 500 and I have lower back problems. The Pace rides in an upright position and is very comfortable. I do have a suspension post which help with bumps in the road. You could add a bike seat with back support though I don’t have one, I’m sure it would lend you more support.

I have a Pace 500 and find it very comfortable. Was debating which of the two to order (without the luxury of a test drive) and like others above chose the Pace 500 because of the seating position and the weight. I didn’t want to wait for the STs to come back in stock so I went for the Limited Edition. The tube is fairly low and it isn’t a problem for me usually. I do have a knee injury at the moment and appreciate that if it were chronic, I would definitely prefer a ST bike. I could throw the other leg over instead until it heals but I am right handed and automatically default to my right leg (with the injured knee).

As an aside - a very quick ride to the post office this AM did not help my knee much but later I put a support brace on and went back out for a longer ride and it’s not that bad at all. Relied more on assist but got to where I needed to go (I have no car this weekend) and am very pleased with myself!

I have a Pace 500 and find it very comfortable. Was debating which of the two to order (without the luxury of a test drive) and like others above chose the Pace 500 because of the seating position and the weight. I didn’t want to wait for the STs to come back in stock so I went for the Limited Edition. The tube is fairly low and it isn’t a problem for me usually. I do have a knee injury at the moment and appreciate that if it were chronic, I would definitely prefer a ST bike. I could throw the other
I have a Pace 500 and find it very comfortable. Was debating which of the two to order (without the luxury of a test drive) and like others above chose the Pace 500 because of the seating position and the weight. I didn’t want to wait for the STs to come back in stock so I went for the Limited Edition. The tube is fairly low and it isn’t a problem for me usually. I do have a knee injury at the moment and appreciate that if it were chronic, I would definitely prefer a ST bike. I could throw the other leg over instead until it heals but I am right handed and automatically default to my right leg (with the injured knee).

As an aside - a very quick ride to the post office this AM did not help my knee much but later I put a support brace on and went back out for a longer ride and it’s not that bad at all. Relied more on assist but got to where I needed to go (I have no car this weekend) and am very pleased with myself!

leg over instead until it heals but I am right handed and automatically default to my right leg (with the injured knee).

Thanks everyone for the really helpful advice. As it turned out, Aventon’s are basically sold out in my part of Canada - Vancouver Island. So I researched and shopped some more and finally settled on a Magnum Cruiser low rise. I think I got the last one in British Columbia. I chose the Magnum Cruiser for the pedal forward design, the mid step configuration, the easy tool-free adjustment on the handlebars, the big battery and powerful motor. $CDN 3,000. I’ve had it out for two fairly long rides and have found it super comfy and really easy to ride. I did a 30 km ride this morning which included some steep hills and only used 1/5 of the battery. No pain anywhere so people with back issues might want to put this one on their lists. A bit more money than the Aventon but I think quite worth it for the comfort and at least I could get one. Thanks again for all the advice.

Attachments

• 5A0095FB-2D75-4905-83F9-232BDC1E327A.jpeg
    5A0095FB-2D75-4905-83F9-232BDC1E327A.jpeg
    990 KB · Views: 746
Thanks everyone for the really helpful advice. As it turned out, Aventon’s are basically sold out in my part of Canada - Vancouver Island. So I researched and shopped some more and finally settled on a Magnum Cruiser low rise. I think I got the last one in British Columbia. I chose the Magnum Cruiser for the pedal forward design, the mid step configuration, the easy tool-free adjustment on the handlebars, the big battery and powerful motor. $CDN 3,000. I’ve had it out for two fairly long rides and have found it super comfy and really easy to ride. I did a 30 km ride this morning which included some steep hills and only used 1/5 of the battery. No pain anywhere so people with back issues might want to put this one on their lists. A bit more money than the Aventon but I think quite worth it for the comfort and at least I could get one. Thanks again for all the advice.
Congrats! Enjoy your new bike :)

Nice looking bike. Congrats!
Glad you are able to ride in comfort. I occasionally get some minor sore spots from long rides, so Advil is my friend.
Many miles to you!!

Back