Atlas first impressions

Hey, I believe if the second half of your ride is essentially downhill, you won't have to worry! But you certainly don't want to run out of juice with significant uphills left. The Atlas is a joy to ride, but I've pedaled it at zero pedal assist and it's not very fun. I have 480 miles on mine and I've been charging it about every 50 miles with 20% battery remaining. Mostly flat paved trails and PAS 1 has been more than adequate. I'm really impressed with the range compared to my previous Aurora which was about every 30 miles with one bar left on the battery.
Sorry for the confusing elevation graph. The graph is just 1/2 of the total ride (outbound). So at the turn around, it is uphill for half of the return ride. But, I get your point half of the outbound and half of the inbound will be downhill, so minimal power output. It's the two uphill sections that will burn lots of power (battery and legs). ;)

How is the noise level of the Bafang M-600 motor? I notice in the YT video review, I could hear the high pitched whine? I have noticed on my rides, ebikes pass me and some are very noisy, some are whisper quiet (not sure what the brands are, too fast to see).:oops:

Still a little confused with the functions of PAS and CVT. Do they work separately? If the CVT is set to "hill", does the pedal effort get easier? If CVT is set to hill would you also want to increase PAS? Thanks.
PAS level establishes the upper level of power that will be allowed to the motor.

The CVT works much like a derailleur system. When set to "hill" is much like a derailleur set to the bigger gears. Flat line = road gears.

Mentioned already, motor is now one of the quieter available. Let's you hear the crickets....

PAS level establishes the upper level of power that will be allowed to the motor.

The CVT works much like a derailleur system. When set to "hill" is much like a derailleur set to the bigger gears. Flat line = road gears.

Mentioned already, motor is now one of the quieter available. Let's you hear the crickets....
So, if I understand correctly, approaching a big hill, I would shift the CVT to "hill", and then as the speed decreased, I would incrementally increase PAS to maintain the desired speed. In doing so, the required leg power would remain relatively constant. Sorry, missed the earlier comment about the noise. Haven't heard a cricket in years, looking forward to getting back to nature again. 👏

For those of you that have owned the Atlas for months and have accumulated some miles, what are your impressions (likes/dislikes)? Would you purchase the bike again? Thanks.

I've taken the atlas offroad, it works as advertised. I have a suspension seatpost, and I hit the throttle on the lowest gear setting when offroad and its a lot of fun.

I mostly use the throttle on trails with rocks. I don't dare take the bike on anything too crazy, but the Atlas is very capable offroad as a bike. It's not going to climb boulders, but the suspension seatpost and the front suspension are very good in my opinion.

The instructions are actually lacking pretty badly with the Atlas. Thats a big flaw with this bike. For what we paid, it should come with a 50 page booklet that explains in lengthy detail all these things about mid drives and e bikes and battery health, shifting, when to use throttle, when to peddle, etc etc.

The shifting mechanism is ok to me. Once you figure out how to shift it so that you don't get "stuck" its fine, I like it, but it requires familiarity and knowledge of how to use mid drive motors.
What brand is the suspension seatpost? I notice the accessory from Evelo is Cane Creek Thudbuster Seatpost ST. What is the difference with the LT? Looks like this adds 4-5" (linkage) to the post length, any problems with this additional length? Is it effective onroad and offroad? What sort of shock is it most effective with (potholes, cracks, roots, gravel, rocks, etc.)? Thanks.

for the suspension seatpost, I have a Thudbuster. It works as advertised, I can see why it gets such good reviews. One important caveat is that the Thudbuster works best with the stock seatpost, or one like it. I tried a cloud 9 seat and it worked very poorly because the C9 was too high up.

The other mandatory accessory is the stem riser for the handlebar. The atlas handlebars are too low stock.

Another required accessory are better tail lights, and a better front light - those ones the bike comes with are mediocre, at best.

The dual battery system is a no brainer here. You'd have to have some screws loose to not buy the secondary battery kit. The instructions are pretty awful for installing the secondary battery kit, but if you can figure it out, it makes riding the bike much more fun. Again, why the heck doesn't Evelo send instructions with the 2nd battery kit? Makes no sense to me, it's literally only like 3 pages long.

My only legitimate complaints are: serious lack in instructions on a lot of things about the bike
also - at 28mph, the cadence is way too high. I had to learn how to use this bike from reading the internet, but with a bit of effort, a 20 or 30 page manual can come with the bike and cover everything.

When I ride the atlas, I constantly shift peddle assist levels, but I rarely change the gears. I usually end up between 20-25mph, at peddle assist 1. I like that I can hit 20-25mph on PAS1, because the range can get pretty ridiculous with this bike at PAS1. I'm not in good enough shape yet to try to do a range test at peddle assist 1 only.

Last edited:
for the suspension seatpost, I have a Thudbuster. It works as advertised, I can see why it gets such good reviews. One important caveat is that the Thudbuster works best with the stock seatpost, or one like it. I tried a cloud 9 seat and it worked very poorly because the C9 was too high up.

The other mandatory accessory is the stem riser for the handlebar. The atlas handlebars are too low stock.

Another required accessory are better tail lights, and a better front light - those ones the bike comes with are mediocre, at best.

The dual battery system is a no brainer here. You'd have to have some screws loose to not buy the secondary battery kit. The instructions are pretty awful for installing the secondary battery kit, but if you can figure it out, it makes riding the bike much more fun. Again, why the heck doesn't Evelo send instructions with the 2nd battery kit? Makes no sense to me, it's literally only like 3 pages long.

My only legitimate complaints are: serious lack in instructions on a lot of things about the bike
also - at 28mph, the cadence is way too high. I had to learn how to use this bike from reading the internet, but with a bit of effort, a 20 or 30 page manual can come with the bike and cover everything.

When I ride the atlas, I constantly shift peddle assist levels, but I rarely change the gears. I usually end up between 20-25mph, at peddle assist 1. I like that I can hit 20-25mph on PAS1, because the range can get pretty ridiculous with this bike at PAS1. I'm not in good enough shape yet to try to do a range test at peddle assist 1 only.
Just as a counter point, in my case, my butt is only good for maybe 20 miles a day. The stock single battery setup is good for at least 30 miles the way I'm running it (PAS1/10-14mph), and if you pay close attention, it'll go 40 miles. Point being, I think there are a LOT of people that won't need that second battery. Let's not forget it's not making that bike any lighter.... or affordable!

Last, my thought is bikes like the Atlas are going to be purchased most frequently by experienced buyers. So 2 thoughts here. Atlas buyers already have a pretty good idea of the basics/generic info you might see in a manual. 2nd, I haven't seen a bike (any bike!) that shipped with real good manuals covering every aspect of the bike. If the need arises, ANYTHING you want to know about this bike is available online. -Al

J The stock single battery setup is good for at least 30 miles the way I'm running it (PAS1/10-14mph), and if you pay close attention, it'll go 40 miles.
Yeah, the dual system gives me roughly 60+ miles with mixed PAS levels. If I get in good shape, and do PAS1 mostly, the bike's dual system could easily get 80...maybe even over 100.

There's a "range" feature on the computer. Basically it estimates the total # of miles one can get on the current charge at a given PAS level.

Does anyone here know if that "range" estimator is actually accurate or not? When I ride in PAS1, the range estimator states over 100 miles.

Yeah, the dual system gives me roughly 60+ miles with mixed PAS levels. If I get in good shape, and do PAS1 mostly, the bike's dual system could easily get 80...maybe even over 100.

There's a "range" feature on the computer. Basically it estimates the total # of miles one can get on the current charge at a given PAS level.

Does anyone here know if that "range" estimator is actually accurate or not? When I ride in PAS1, the range estimator states over 100 miles.
It's based on an algorithm that reads the last few minutes of your ride. I wouldn't trust it.

ANYTHING you want to know about this bike is available online. -Al
Well, I am still looking for torque specifications for the stem bolt and real wheel nuts. Another example, when charging the main battery, after the charger led turns green, there is one led on the battery that remains red, is this normal and where to find info? ;)

Last edited:
Well, I am still looking for torque specifications for the stem bolt and real wheel nuts. Another example, when charging the main battery, after the charger led turns green, there is one led on the battery that remains red, is this normal and where to find info? ;)

yeah, that red light is normal. I had the same question.

Instruction's are very poor. Evelo should combine all their docs into one, print it out, and provide it with the bike.

As far as that stem bolt, I'm not even going to track that down for specifics. Pretty generic to anything I've worked on. It's used to adjust the preload on the stem bearings while setting up the front end. I generally will hold the front brake and rock the bike forward and backward a bit to expose any slop, using that bolt to remove. Noteworthy is the fact the adjustable stem clamping bolts MUST be loose prior to making the adjustment.

Regarding the axle nuts, Start-

then, select "technical manual" which provides a link to the actual manual shown here-

see page 40...

Or, it might be easier to just drop a note Evelo......

As far as that stem bolt, I'm not even going to track that down for specifics. Pretty generic to anything I've worked on. It's used to adjust the preload on the stem bearings while setting up the front end. I generally will hold the front brake and rock the bike forward and backward a bit to expose any slop, using that bolt to remove. Noteworthy is the fact the adjustable stem clamping bolts MUST be loose prior to making the adjustment.

Regarding the axle nuts, Start-

then, select "technical manual" which provides a link to the actual manual shown here-

see page 40...

Or, it might be easier to just drop a note Evelo......
Thanks for the tip on removing the slop in the stem bearings. Rocking back and forth with the front brake locked produced the "clack" sound when riding over bumps. Always leery of over torquing fasteners, stripped a few in my past.

In my world, I exclusively use PAS1, and constantly change gears. Lots of hills. My guess, speed and terrain, has a lot to do with it. I rarely exceed 8-13mph, unless downhill. And I spend a lot of time on bike paths (steep grades, narrow and winding). The upside is good workouts and long mileage. For me, riding on the streets has become more stressful with so many distracted drivers (not all, some are observant and courteous). :oops:

Good info here from Atlas owners and their first impressions. Thank you.
There are now more reviews out than when this thread started and it's a bike I'm very interested in.
How about second impressions or anything else you might add for someone considering making a purchase?

Good info here from Atlas owners and their first impressions. Thank you.
There are now more reviews out than when this thread started and it's a bike I'm very interested in.
How about second impressions or anything else you might add for someone considering making a purchase?
I purchased the Atlas at the end of last December and overall, I'm pleased with the ebike. I currently own a 2021 Riese & Müller Roadster Vario (7,700 miles) and previously owned a 2020 Trek Allant+ 7s (1,600 Miles). The Atlas survived the UPS shipping to northeast Ohio intact except for a bent rear fender support strut. I've ridden it a few times in the past 3 weeks and have about 100 miles on it.

One of the issues I have with the ebike is the length of the front lower fender support is too short. I tried re-angling the arm with the attachment loop to lengthen the support but I ended up having to add a longer bolt to accommodate 3 flat washers and a nut as shims. Here's the communication with Evelo's Support Team:

ME: "I’ve included some photos of the fender stays on the front wheel. Did I install these incorrectly or is there some other problem? The stays are too short to reach the mounting points on the fork. The stay was installed with the looped end facing UP. I noticed in the assembly information that they are pictured facing DOWN (photo #1).

I reversed them and they still did not reach the attachment points. You can see that the fender is smack against the tire (photo #2)!

With the fender positioned properly for tire clearance, the stay loop is ± ½” short (photos #3 and #4). I bent the stay to try and meet the fork but it was still too short. I added 3 washers and a nut as shims to complete the connection (photo #5)."

EVELO: "I am happy to address your concerns and issues on your Atlas.

It certainly looks like your front fender stay is too short. I will ask the warranty department for a longer option and get back in touch with you."

That was on January 13, 2023. I haven't received an answer from the "...warranty department..." yet. (See attached photos)

Another issue is the display dims automatically when the lights are turned on. I prefer to ride in daylight with the lights illuminated so as to provide greater visibility to others. Think DRL's. In sunlight, the only discernible characters on the display are 'Speed' and 'Pedal Assist Level'.

The Bafang pedal assist seems to be less refined than the Bosch systems on the Trek and R&M ebikes. There's a lag from the time you initially put pressure on the pedal to start pedaling until the assist kicks in on the Bafang and it is abrupt. The Bosch systems are smoother.

The build quality seems excellent with smooth welds and fine paint application.

3.jpg

I purchased the Atlas at the end of last December and overall, I'm pleased with the ebike. I currently own a 2021 Riese & Müller Roadster Vario (7,700 miles) and previously owned a 2020 Trek Allant+ 7s (1,600 Miles). The Atlas survived the UPS shipping to northeast Ohio intact except for a bent rear fender support strut. I've ridden it a few times in the past 3 weeks and have about 100 miles on it.

One of the issues I have with the ebike is the length of the front lower fender support is too short. I tried re-angling the arm with the attachment loop to lengthen the support but I ended up having to add a longer bolt to accommodate 3 flat washers and a nut as shims. Here's the communication with Evelo's Support Team:

ME: "I’ve included some photos of the fender stays on the front wheel. Did I install these incorrectly or is there some other problem? The stays are too short to reach the mounting points on the fork. The stay was installed with the looped end facing UP. I noticed in the assembly information that they are pictured facing DOWN (photo #1).

I reversed them and they still did not reach the attachment points. You can see that the fender is smack against the tire (photo #2)!

With the fender positioned properly for tire clearance, the stay loop is ± ½” short (photos #3 and #4). I bent the stay to try and meet the fork but it was still too short. I added 3 washers and a nut as shims to complete the connection (photo #5)."

EVELO: "I am happy to address your concerns and issues on your Atlas.

It certainly looks like your front fender stay is too short. I will ask the warranty department for a longer option and get back in touch with you."

That was on January 13, 2023. I haven't received an answer from the "...warranty department..." yet. (See attached photos)

Another issue is the display dims automatically when the lights are turned on. I prefer to ride in daylight with the lights illuminated so as to provide greater visibility to others. Think DRL's. In sunlight, the only discernible characters on the display are 'Speed' and 'Pedal Assist Level'.

The Bafang pedal assist seems to be less refined than the Bosch systems on the Trek and R&M ebikes. There's a lag from the time you initially put pressure on the pedal to start pedaling until the assist kicks in on the Bafang and it is abrupt. The Bosch systems are smoother.

The build quality seems excellent with smooth welds and fine paint application.

View attachment 145718
Thanks so much, rbeckert, for your prompt, informative reply. Unfortunate you have an issue with your Atlas but more unfortunate the "...warranty department..." hasn't responded. This is the first instance I've found of less than stellar customer service from Evelo. Disappointing for sure. I hope you are able to get the fender stay repaired.
With your accumulated miles on the R&M Roadster Vario you must like it. Any issues there?
No R&M dealers near me and I haven't even researched whether they ship or not; a bit out of my price range but I understand they have very high reliability.

Thanks so much, rbeckert, for your prompt, informative reply. Unfortunate you have an issue with your Atlas but more unfortunate the "...warranty department..." hasn't responded. This is the first instance I've found of less than stellar customer service from Evelo. Disappointing for sure. I hope you are able to get the fender stay repaired.
With your accumulated miles on the R&M Roadster Vario you must like it. Any issues there?
No R&M dealers near me and I haven't even researched whether they ship or not; a bit out of my price range but I understand they have very high reliability.
Evelo has been super getting back to me on other things. I've emailed them with questions before and after receiving the Atlas and their response time is like 3 hours and very friendly.

Yes, I like the R&M. They have a dealer both in Columbus OH and Pittsburgh PA, each a 4 hour round trip so I decided to learn to do minor maintenance. I replaced the seat and the pedals on the R&M and put identical seat and pedals on the Atlas. I hadn't ridden a bicycle for 30 years until I bought the Trek. 76 years old here and never did any bicycle maintenance until I owned the ebikes. I have since changed 3 inner tubes, replaced seats and pedals like I said, replaced the remote control for the SmartPhoneHub on the R&M and also the Enviolo manual controller, replaced disk brake pads, installed 2 rear cargo racks, 1 Abus café lock, assembled the Atlas, and disassembled and packaged the Trek to ship to Pro's Closet as that's who bought the Trek from me.

I learned to do all this by watching YouTube videos. The same one's over and over till I 'got it'! Next, I'm going to tackle bleeding the brakes.

Final note. I would purchase from Evelo again.

Back