Assistance levels 2 to 4 makes no difference – Stromer ST1

Roger R

On my Stromer ST1 2014 there is no difference between assist levels 2, 3, and 4. There is no additional boost when going from level 2 to levels 3 and 4. Anyone has any idea what might be the cause?

The % difference is greater from ECO to CITY so you feel it more. Do this test. Go to your big chain ring and smallest cog on your cassette and start pedaling in ECO mode, switch to CITY, switch to TOUR, switch to POWER- you will feel the difference. You have to apply pedal effort before the torque sensor knows what you want it to do. Let me know how you feel after the test. Hope this helps. I had the same issues my first few hundred miles.

In my case levels 2 and 3 are almost identical. But from 1 to 2 there is a big jump, plus 1-st level does not allow more than 25km/h. And 3 to 4 is definitely sensible. Did you try to play with 1004 code? Maybe it's set much higher than the default 50? It's possible that when 70 of more it makes no difference between levels as it's already at its maximum.

Thanks for your replies. I can give an example. Starting in level 1 going up a hill in a certain gear and at a certain cadence and pressure on the pedals. Going to level 2, everything else being the same, I have to put less pressure on the pedals to maintain the same speed. It is very noticeable. Now, going to level 3 or 4 there is absolutely no noticeable difference. I can go up a steep hill on level 2 with the same ease as in level 3 and 4. There is simply no difference. Regarding the sensitivity setting (1004), it makes no difference if it is set to 50 or 90 or anything with regard to this problem. If this is how it should be then levels 3 and 4 are useless. What is the use of having those levels if it does not provide any noticeable additional assistance to the rider?

i have a totally different feeling.
to show that i took the same street and with strava i check in similar condition 3 different situation.
first all the route with level 1 .
second same route with level 2
third same route with level 3.
result: 18 min level1
14 min level 2
11 min level 3

i guess that the difference is much more evident on uphill route.

This is how it should be. It is a clear and noticeable difference between the different levels.
I think that there is something wrong with my bike. Not that I miss levels 3 and 4 very much, level 2 gives plenty assistance.

I have found a solution to the missing difference in strength between the 4 different levels of assist I had on my Stromer ST1. The solution is code 1007. This code has two settings, 0 and 1.
My ST1 had the setting 1. I switched to 0 and suddenly all 4 levels were available. Switching to 1, the assist level is fixed. To me it feel like the strength is like level 3.

1007 is the setting to either a 250 watt motor or 500 watt motor (Euro setting where applicable)

The setting at 250 has no power to give additional boost so the power levels don't feel very different, I was trying to show why, I agree with your post and accidently did this to my wife's bike recently and I experienced what you were feeling.

Back