As if the supply chain is not disrupted enough already

One time I had a dispute with an auto dealer. Unfulfilled promises and I was getting blown off. So I parked sideways and locked the car, blocking the entire entrance/exit of the service department. For "Security" there was only one way in and out. I did get their attention and their end of the contract was fulfilled on the spot. Bikes are more fun even if you cannot do that with them.

It’s a dry bulk carrier.

Dry bulk is the world’s largest freight market in terms of volume so it does make sense.

Unless someone figures out an easier and cheaper way to transport 180,000 DWT of dry bulk at one time ocean freight will remain the easiest and most economical way to transport dry bulk commodities.
But the pictures I've seen show a container ship, and the news reports I've seen describe it the same way.

Must be two different ships stuck, since no one with any knowledge would confuse a dry bulk ship with a container ship....

But the pictures I've seen show a container ship, and the news reports I've seen describe it the same way.

Must be two different ships stuck, since no one with any knowledge would confuse a dry bulk ship with a container ship....
Its a combination carrier. The wood pulp is in the containers as well.
You are thinking of an oil tanker or natural gas tanker ship.

Its a combination carrier. The wood pulp is in the containers as well.
You are thinking of an oil tanker or natural gas tanker ship.
None of my references describe the ship as a combination carrier. And anyone who puts wood pulp in a container for shipping must be pretty desparate.

You need to go back to your source for clarification. I suspect some misunderstanding has taken place.

None of my references describe the ship as a combination carrier. And anyone who puts wood pulp in a container for shipping must be pretty desparate.

You need to go back to your source for clarification. I suspect some misunderstanding has taken place.
I’m very confident my source is more reputable than your references.

Especially since 27% of the global merchant marine fleet is registered here in Chios, Greece.

You may be right about the desperate part since supply chain disruptions existed before this dilemma in the suez.

Dry bulk is commonly transported in containers.

Last edited:
The EVERGREEN is carrying mostly wood pulp for toilet paper manufacturing ...
The name of the ship that was stuck in the Suez canal is "Ever Given", run by a Taiwan based firm "Evergreen". And it is a 20.000 TEU container ship.
I have attached picture and infos. You could even follow that ships movements (like any other) live at marinetraffic.com.
Ever Given.JPG
Ever Given Data.JPG

The name of the ship that was stuck in the Suez canal is "Ever Given", run by a Taiwan based firm "Evergreen". And it is a 20.000 TEU container ship.
I have attached picture and infos. You could even follow that ships movements (like any other) live at marinetraffic.com.
View attachment 83223View attachment 83222
Yea sure Evergreen is the name of the shipping Company and the ship is Evergiven. I know about marinetraffic.com for decades.

As of Monday 16:00 local time it’s only 80% re-floated and the stern is still stuck in the mud bank. Their waiting until tonight for high tide to free it completely.

It’s still very much stuck with no other merchant marine vessels able to pass the canal yet. If the attempt tonight to free it fails they will have no choice but to unladen containers to make it lighter which can result in ship breaking due to the shallow depths of the canal. That would be a worse case scenario.

Last edited:
That would be a worse case scenario.
The Ever Given is one of the biggest container ships worldwide and seems to have a problem with gutsy wind at slow speed:
Two years ago the "Ever Given" completely shattered a moored harbour ferry in Hamburg port at winds bft 7-8 and going slow.

Ever Given victim.JPG

Although it was accompanied by harbor tugs! They couldn't stop it. These huge container ships have too much "sailing surface".
There was a sandstorm when it happened in the Suez Canal.

Last edited:
Looks like it’s just been freed and heading under its own power to the wider lakes area of the canal. Supply chain catastrophe avoided thankfully.

Back