Are you telling me you are carrying the spare battery in a backpack?!

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Guys, let's be serious. Yes, I can understand an e-MTB rider may not have the rear rack and he has to carry his battery in a backpack. Batteries are very heavy and I just sympathise with the guy.
For me, having the rack in an e-bike would solve the problem of carrying spare batteries. The only problem is the battery size. One of my batteries is 40 cm (almost 16") and the other is 46 cm (over 18") long. What panniers would you use?

Ortlieb Back Roller Plus caught my eye and even my larger of batteries would fit. What panniers do you use to carry your spare batteries?

I made a battery sleeve out of a foam sleeping pad and then attached the battery to my bike with a Salsa EXP handlebar cradle and viole straps. Works really well.

Attachments

• Photos.jpg
    Photos.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 1,970
I use the Ortlieb eMate pannier for Vado and Como batteries. Dueter has a e-pocket battery sleeve. Arkel bags has a new device called Haul-it, getting the backpack off your back.

I use the Ortlieb eMate pannier for Vado and Como batteries.
What is the length of your battery? Same 40 cm/16"? That means you have to put the battery on the diagonal, right? Because the height of the eMate is only 30 cm/11.8 inches. Also, is it easy to mount the Ortlieb pannier on the Vado's Racktime rack? No issues?

Dueter has a e-pocket battery sleeve.
I haven't looked at Deuter panniers yet, thanks!

Arkel bags has a new device called Haul-it, getting the backpack off your back.
That does not look a stable solution for me. The center of gravity appears to be high.

Last edited:
I too had that opinion about small size. Then I found a YouTube video with the reviewer using either a Como or Vado battery and it appeared to fit fine. Keeping my fingers crossed as they should arrive tomorrow. Either way I will make them work.

I don’t like to have it in the rear rack or panniers b/c of the road shocks. In the frame is very well secured but in the rear it will move around unless lots of foam/straps/etc.
In backpack is much better especially with a good backpack you won’t feel the weight. And needs no packaging unlike the rear rack storage. B/c you will need to take it out quickly not stay on the side of the road freezing for 2-3minutes unpacking/packing the old battery.
Unzip backpack, take out new , put back old and ride.

Keeping my fingers crossed as they should arrive tomorrow.
My Ortlieb is waiting for me in the parcel locker. Will report.

I beg to differ. I cannot imagine carrying a 46 cm long, 4 kg mass in a backpack for several hours. Considering possibility of raining (and need to keep it waterproof), that would be a rather tall backpack, wouldn't it be. Why should a rack pannier bounce? Any good pannier has a mounting system to keep the bag well secured...

I carry 1 Stromer battery in each classic bag every ride.no problems for the batteries but the bags wear a hole in the bottom every year or 2 instead of lasting. For me it is part of the cost of riding ebikes on long trips. If this new bag lasts worth every penny. I see no other way to carry 2 large batteries???

I don’t like to have it in the rear rack or panniers b/c of the road shocks. In the frame is very well secured but in the rear it will move around unless lots of foam/straps/etc.
In backpack is much better especially with a good backpack you won’t feel the weight. And needs no packaging unlike the rear rack storage. B/c you will need to take it out quickly not stay on the side of the road freezing for 2-3minutes unpacking/packing the old battery.

I gave up carrying my gear in a backpack years ago, well before I got into ebiking. Even though I used a quality backpack, my shirt would get saturated with sweat underneath. The extra weight on my shoulders was also contributing to butt discomfort on long rides. When I was younger, I didn't like a lot of gear strapped to my bike and the backpack didn't bother me. I suppose this is an age thing because now, I'm willing to give up the "form" and go with the "function". The more weight I can take off the bike seat and mount directly on the bike the better.

I now use a rear rack with trunk bag & panniers and let the bike carry the weight. Yes, it throws off the dynamics and some bike performance but at my age, the trade off is worth it. I use Arkel T28 panniers to carry one or two spare batteries:

41752 41762

For longer trips requiring more gear, I switch to the Arkel T42's

Carrying batteries with panniers keeps the center of gravity lower than using a backpack which can improve bike handling.

The Arlel T28 will carry a battery up to 15" long and the T42 up to 18" long if loaded at an angle. Both latch securely to the rear rack with no movement whatever. I generally use gear that I carry anyway for padding to eliminate shifting. The battery bags I mentioned earlier in the thread help with this as well.

For what it's worth, this is my approach which I discovered through trial & error. Every rider has different wants and needs and what works for some may not for all.

I didn't like the rain resistance of the battery I bought, wrapped in heat shrink. So I built a frame around it 5" wide out of 1/2" aluminum angle stock and 10-24 screws. The screw heads are in so they don't poke the battery. The battery is wrapped in packing foam for heat insulation and a green plastic bag for rain resistance. The frame is screwed to a 5" wide x 15" long frame on the front of the bike screwed to the 3" wide bosses in the bodaboda frame. I like the weight on the front. You can see this in green on the front of the bike left.
If I bought a 2nd battery I would also wrap it and frame it. Then I'd make the new frame engage to the old frame with pins on the bottom (10-24 screws 1/8" high) and holes on the sides for tractor pins. Then I could change from one battery to the other by moving the XT90 connector.
I have enough weight on the back in panniers usually to balance the weight on the front. My tool kit is metal and weighs 5 lb, plus there is an air pump & 2 tubes and a 20 oz water bottle at all times.
The frame took a hit from a car turning right at light while looking left last year, warped a bit, and the battery wasn't damaged. I had to replace the angle struts which project out front of the battery about 5". They were originally cut to length to carry 3 two liter bottles in a 9" wide frame.

Ortlieb Back Roller Plus panniers are here. I'm so glad. Mounting and dismounting the pannier is so easy. Each of my batteries fit and there is plenty space left for camping gear. I intend to use only one pannier for each of my two bikes unless I go touring in the summer where both panniers will go on Lovelec.

@Stefan - What is the cover you have wrapped around your battery?
It is a product called "Universal neoprene cover for e-bikes with frame-integrated battery". It is rather thin but I could not find anything better in my country. The price was some $25.
EDIT: The product indeed has a brand. It is "Fahrer Berlin"

Last edited:
I use the Ortlieb eMate pannier for Vado and Como batteries.
I've seen a video on YouTube and it looks really good. Yet I chose a bigger pannier, that is, a taller one. 35 liter a pannier for summer touring is adequate ;-) I might like the e-Mate for my Vado.

When carrying an extra battery or two, the Ortlieb E-Mate's work great for my Haibike Full FatSix. Here is the bike on the morning I set out on a homebase ride in the western side of New Jersey, riding east to the Atlantic Ocean on the other side of the state; then back home. 92 some odd miles. I carried both yamaha 500wh batteries in the E-Mates and switched off when I ran one down.

For water level, flat riding, the bags are great. No offroading riding down sheer mountain sides with my bike, carrying the batteries with me.

Attachments

• 100_4069.JPG
    100_4069.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 844
  • 100_4078.JPG
    100_4078.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 945
  • 100_4098.JPG
    100_4098.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 826
When carrying an extra battery or two, the Ortlieb E-Mate's work great for my Haibike Full FatSix.
I got so excited by info from @Jimbo08 and you @Mike TowpathTraveler that I indeed ordered the e-Mate. That one will be used for my Turbo Vado.
Ortlieb Back Roller Plus will go for my touring Lovelec e-bike as I will need a lot of space for summer escapades. The Lovelec spare battery has two styrofoam cases for protecting each of battery ends and it will also reduce the wear of the pannier.

Topeak 4. 5 litre midloader holds my Powerpack 500
Unluckily, such solution is excluded in the case of low-step frames...

Fire and brimstone! I ordered the e-Mate only to find out it will be available in Poland only in February. The store has to return my money...

Back