Are you going to ride in snow?

Just want to report it is even more snow around, with temperature oscillating around 0 C. Gone for a Monster ride to local vet to buy food for Tygra the cat. There was a senior woman at the vet who was shovelling snow. She plans to buy an entry level e-bike for the warm reason. Meanwhile, she was devouring my Monster with her eyes :)

Had to go pay internet bill yesterday, or allow AT&T to insert needle directly in my artery. 14 deg F & 4 inches wet snow from day before. Store is 3 miles away. There was slush on major streets, but bike did okay on knobby tires until the major street was closed for sewer work. Back street detour was okay 2 blocks until surface turned white, then front wheel slid sideways. Got, off, pushed 3 blocks, chained bike to power pole & walked 4 blocks. Yah, I'm still mobile! No 30 mile rides until this stuff melts off.

It was -20C here last night and we have nearly 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. My bike hasn’t left the garage in a couple of weeks. Driving the Honda snowblower instead.
I feel for my friends in Texas who are struggling with historical winter conditions and power outages, and are not used to them at all. I have had to use my generator many times over the years in similar circumstances.
Stay warm and safe!

Attachments

• 2EFCB283-C66F-4F1C-B622-2A0F35CF8321.jpeg
    2EFCB283-C66F-4F1C-B622-2A0F35CF8321.jpeg
    691.5 KB · Views: 226
I only heard about the Texas situation because we work with Houston companies... Your garden table Lat reminds me of heavy winters we used to experience here several years ago latest.

In regards to outerwear for riding in the snow, I've come to a point where I am relatively happy with what I am using on my upper body. head, feet and hands.
I am also OK in general with lower body but want to start looking for options.

I wear padded cycling undershorts, covered by sporting tights and then running shorts. I am considering riding trousers (can't call them pants as we have a lot of UK members).
My issue is sizing - and this is pretty well a struggle for me when shopping for anything.
My inseam is 30" and my waist is 38'ish but I usually wear 40" to be a bit more comfortable.
I normally cannot stand tight clothing (notwithstanding the tights).

Looking at online sources, both LBS and Amazon, there a zillion choices, but it seems like anything that will fit my waist. will be 4-8" too long in the legs.
Sure, I know I can get them altered, but does anyone have any suggestions of product lines that feature sizing for the wider, stockier cyclist?

I also don't want to spend a lot of money. These are seasonal things that aren't absolutely required - more of a nice to have.

TIA

I am considering riding trousers (can't call them pants as we have a lot of UK members).
Funny thing you talk about trousers right now (I actually hate the word pants). I hope we would experience +5-10 C weather now in Mazovia. In preparation for such and somewhat warmer weather, I bought me decent Czech (actually Chinese) MTB trousers.

1614370993243.png

What a bad surprise! The size 3XL turned out to be a tad too loose for me...

The Czech company didn't even attach the return/replacement paper to the shipment. I solved the problem by just shortening adjustable straps (they attach with Velcro tape). I can be riding now :) (It looks I need to start ordering tighter clothes now) :D

In regards to outerwear for riding in the snow, I've come to a point where I am relatively happy with what I am using on my upper body. head, feet and hands.
I am also OK in general with lower body but want to start looking for options.

I wear padded cycling undershorts, covered by sporting tights and then running shorts. I am considering riding trousers (can't call them pants as we have a lot of UK members).
My issue is sizing - and this is pretty well a struggle for me when shopping for anything.
My inseam is 30" and my waist is 38'ish but I usually wear 40" to be a bit more comfortable.
I normally cannot stand tight clothing (notwithstanding the tights).

Looking at online sources, both LBS and Amazon, there a zillion choices, but it seems like anything that will fit my waist. will be 4-8" too long in the legs.
Sure, I know I can get them altered, but does anyone have any suggestions of product lines that feature sizing for the wider, stockier cyclist?

I also don't want to spend a lot of money. These are seasonal things that aren't absolutely required - more of a nice to have.

TIA

I purchased a pair of these Nordic Trax soft shell pant/trousers from MEC in a small size and they are quite comfortable and the ankle zips are also a nice touch. Fitting but not baggy. Size guide indicates large being 37 ½" waist and 29" inseam. They sport and elastic waist and drawstring so there should be some give. You could always return them in person to MEC if they don't fit. The Tobo Soft Shells are slightly cheaper but there are no larger sizes in stock. I think they could be worn in the shoulder seasons too.

Speaking of trousers, I almost soiled mine when I hit a rather large chunk of ice (road snot) while riding the bee the other day. In traffic and on a bridge. My butt left the saddle and my hands left the handlebars. I had time to think about how bad this was going to be but then my posterior found the saddle and my chest and forearm found the handlebars. I somehow managed to control the bike with no problems which considering I was going as fast as the bike can go seemed like a miracle at the time. I'll chalk the result up to superior piloting skills because, well, why not?

Be safe out there!

Funny thing you talk about trousers right now (I actually hate the word pants). I hope we would experience +5-10 C weather now in Mazovia. In preparation for such and somewhat warmer weather, I bought me decent Czech (actually Chinese) MTB trousers.

View attachment 80135

The Czech company didn't even attach the return/replacement paper to the shipment. I solved the problem by just shortening adjustable straps (they attach with Velcro tape). I can be riding now :) (It looks I need to start ordering tighter clothes now) :D
I would suggest the ill fitting trousers are a testament to your committment to cycling, regardless of weather. Congratulations!

I purchased a pair of these Nordic Trax soft shell pant/trousers from MEC in a small size and they are quite comfortable and the ankle zips are also a nice touch. Fitting but not baggy. Size guide indicates large being 37 ½" waist and 29" inseam. They sport and elastic waist and drawstring so there should be some give. You could always return them in person to MEC if they don't fit. The Tobo Soft Shells are slightly cheaper but there are no larger sizes in stock. I think they could be worn in the shoulder seasons too.

These should be very good. A pair of my "mild winter" trousers is made of Softshell, too. It will be interesting how yours would really protect you against the wind. I found I had to additionally wear a waterproof/windproof cover during the frost. (Later, I bought a lightweight skiing suit equipped with good membranes, and that let me safely ride during our "real weather").

View attachment 80135

My goodness man, how many weather pants/trousers/duds do you own?!😳
And what made you decide 3XL?

My goodness man, how many weather pants/trousers/duds do you own?!😳
And what made you decide 3XL?
Many :) For winter-time, I use three different pairs:
  • Very warm (for frost), waterproof/windproof/breathable
  • Warm (for 0-6 C), wind-resistant/water repellent (Softshell)
  • Slightly warm (>6 to +15 C), wind-resistant/water repellent
I'm 115 cm (45") both in waist and hips. 3XL (European) was the right size for me some 14 months ago...

Thanks,
Those look really good, but looking at sizing, the XL is what I need currently and they are sold out.
But knowing that they have 29" inseams across the board will have me checking again before next winter.
Pretty well everything else I looked at was too long.

I hope the sale of MEC doesn't change too much more - it's not the store it used to be!

Thanks,
Those look really good, but looking at sizing, the XL is what I need currently and they are sold out.
But knowing that they have 29" inseams across the board will have me checking again before next winter.
Pretty well everything else I looked at was too long.

I hope the sale of MEC doesn't change too much more - it's not the store it used to be!
Yes, I wasn't sure if the large would have been an adequate fit or not. It's a shame about MEC. I've been a member since '85 and it is sad to see the drastic changes over the years especially with the expansion of their branch stores. Many of their items are no longer available which is discouraging to say the least. :(

Our snow here in Calgary will be disappearing quickly, but invariably, we'll get more.
As such, it's not quite time for a Johnny Watts trial - Ice Spikers will stay on for a little longer, at least for March anyways.

Feb28_YYC.JPG

When I was doing my maintenance earlier this week, I checked on how the studs are doing as I've been on more bare pavement than I really wanted to.
Both front and rear are missing 2 studs each, which I think is reasonable.

How is everybody else making out in that regard?

When I was doing my maintenance earlier this week, I checked on how the studs are doing as I've been on more bare pavement than I really wanted to.
Both front and rear are missing 2 studs each, which I think is reasonable.

How is everybody else making out in that regard?
Similar here in New Brunswick. Surprisingly this winter I've done most of my cycling on bare pavement, some wet some dry. My 45nrth Kahva's have only lost one or two studs, and that was early after getting them. I've been limiting my top speeds and any wheelspin to help things. I'd actually prefer to have some nice smooth ice/hard pack snow to ride on. I think I'd like winter cycling in Oulu Finland ... lol.

Back