Are you going to ride in snow?

Dry snow, of course. Did it already last month.
Snow turned into ice or melted snow that turned into ice on the road, no. Huge piles of ice pushed by the city into the bike lane to the megastore, no.

Last edited:
Still a learning experience. Schwalbe all season/snow tires are working well, although I wish I could have found a wider set. Need to be very careful in ruts or single track trails, as they will always attempt to do your steering for you if you get off center.

Still a learning experience. Schwalbe all season/snow tires are working well, although I wish I could have found a wider set. Need to be very careful in ruts or single track trails, as they will always attempt to do your steering for you if you get off center.
Do you have studs ?

I will see how it is if and when we get the snow. I hope we don't :)
I used to ride in the snow on my acoustic bikes with no problem in remote past. Probably I just didn't care.

I will see how it is if and when we get the snow. I hope we don't :)
I used to ride in the snow on my acoustic bikes with no problem in remote past. Probably I just didn't care.
My brother rode a 10 speed in snow a lot decades ago, but he was dare devil level ... young and crazy. You don't strike me as the dare devil type. I think I could do it if neccessary, but do not intend to. I just linked to the snow riding article for those who actually enjoy such things.

Sometimes you have to. I had no car when I was riding on my road bike for grocery shopping on snow when I was in my 30s. I just rode slowly. With the trekking bike I was using since 2013, I just put better tyres and could ride on snow with no fear. The only thing I should exercise was a lot of care.

"Roshan this and Roshan that". Come on, Art, you really believe my 2.6" e-MTB is not snow capable? :) I would be more worried about the folk riding Bafang Ultra :D

Sometimes you have to. I had no car when I was riding on my road bike for grocery shopping on snow when I was in my 30s. I just rode slowly. With the trekking bike I was using since 2013, I just put better tyres and could ride on snow with no fear. The only thing I should exercise was a lot of care.

"Roshan this and Roshan that". Come on, Art, you really believe my 2.6" e-MTB is not snow capable? :) I would be more worried about the folk riding Bafang Ultra :D
I expect that any bike that handles mud like an e_MTB can go in snow, but probably not fast or fun to do so.

I expect that any bike that handles mud like an e_MTB can go in snow, but probably not fast or fun to do so.
My guess too. Might be fun as long as you're riding for fun and NOT to get from point A to point B.

More importantly, after nearly an entire lifetime messing with Michigan's snow, that's the reason I now migrate to Florida for the winter. I want NOTHING to do with snow!

I rode my Bravo all last winter except for 4 or 5 days of extreme storms. Slow and careful while dressing warm is the key to enjoying riding year round. I have upgraded to wider tires with a more aggressive tread pattern this year...

Attachments

• 20200226_072543.jpg
    20200226_072543.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 387
Is this a real question? Riding in winter conditions, it's the best ! I find it wayyy more fun than summer riding.
And biting it hard, is much more cushy in the snow than the dirt. A set of Wrathchild's, good winter wear, a 1000 watt battery and, see ya !

Is this a real question? Riding in winter conditions, it's the best ! I find it wayyy more fun than summer riding.
And biting it hard, is much more cushy in the snow than the dirt. A set of Wrathchild's, good winter wear, a 1000 watt battery and, see ya !
i was hoping someone really liked snow . Ride On.

No I don’t. I don’t plan to ride if it gets icy.
I don't even want to drive when it's icy. Totalled a car once (front wheel drive with studs) on black ice. Doing about 6 or 7 mph at the top of a hill, maybe 40 to 45 mph by the time I hit a tree at the bottom. Not hurt at all, but the Cavalier's ? entire front end was squashed to half it's previous length.

I don't even want to drive when it's icy. Totalled a car once (front wheel drive with studs) on black ice. Doing about 6 or 7 mph at the top of a hill, maybe 40 to 45 mph by the time I hit a tree at the bottom. Not hurt at all, but the Cavalier's ? entire front end was squashed to half it's previous length.
Same here. I remember driving my old Volvo in Boulder in 1979-80 on a downhill road that looked perfectly fine. I couldn't stop. Rear ended a guy in a truck. No bueno!

I ride mostly for exercise & fun. I tried riding our local fire roads 2 winters ago and it wasn't fun. I had the OEM Fat Frank's on the bike at the time and it was tough to stay upright:

P1070142b.jpg P1070145b.jpg

I'm using Marathon Plus MTB's now with a knobby tread and I may give it another shot this winter. If these aren't more acceptable, I'll likely just stay home during the Winter. Studs would probably help a lot but I'm not willing to go through the trouble of swapping tires seasonally.

I ride mostly for exercise & fun. I tried riding our local fire roads 2 winters ago and it wasn't fun. I had the OEM Fat Frank's on the bike at the time and it was tough to stay upright:

View attachment 73793 View attachment 73794

I'm using Marathon Plus MTB's now with a knobby tread and I may give it another shot this winter. If these aren't more acceptable, I'll likely just stay home during the Winter. Studs would probably help a lot but I'm not willing to go through the trouble of swapping tires seasonally.
If you do ride in snow again, let us know how it goes please.

Road in seven inches of snow last Wednesday
And about four inches of snow this morning to work.
It is fun.

Back