Are Kenda Juggernaut tires not so good?

Clueless

Hi
My fat bike came with Kenda Juggernaut 26x4 standard fat tires, I have put on a little over 2500 kms (1500 miles) and I quite like them. I ride mostly dirt roads and ride the dirt on paved highways never had a flat yet run at 11 lbs.
Bike shops say the Kenda 30 tpi ratings are poor let me sell you my 120 tpi brand but can’t make me understand the real difference I would experience.
Can someone show me the light
I liked the Kenda’s ... but they are finished and I need tires.
Thanks for your patience

I run a shop. I sell tires. So what if 30 tpi is on-paper a poor spec? If you like them and haven't had issues, I say use what you like.

I have the same tires on my Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000. On highest pedal assist, I reach about 32 km/h, which is the speed limit in school zones. On throttle, the Bafang motor gives me 1500w until I hit the controller limited top speed of 50 km/h, at which point the motor cuts back to about 1000w to maintain speed. I could unlock for higher speed, but the speed limit outside of school zones in 50 km/h. I can do a round trip commute of 20 km with a 48v/17.5a battery. The ride is comfortable both on road and trail with the tires representing the entirety of the fully rigid bike's suspension. I know people pooh-pooh these tires online, but they get the job done for me. I have a second 27.5 x 3 wheelset on which I might switch the tires to studded for winter riding. If you are considering a tire switch, I think you should ask yourself what you want to achieve with the new tires that you couldn't achieve with the old tires.

Last edited:
My local bike shop says the higher tpi results in a less wobbly sidewalls, even though I was unable to feel it on my stock 30 tpi Kendas
What I don’t want is excessive howl on asphalt.
Are the larger more aggressive knobs going to be louder on asphalt and will braking on asphalt suffer?
Seems the more I type the more I am saying I like the stock Kenda Juggernauts
Just wanted to try something better but similar.
Cheers

I'm on my second set of 26x4 Kenda Juggernauts. Never had anything else on my Rad Rover, so I can't compare, but I have no complaints about them either. I try to keep mine at about 20 psi on hard surfaces.

TT

If you're looking for an alternative.

Panaracer is Panasonic tire brand.

Panaracer Fat B Nimble 26 Inch Tire [ZF2640-FAT-B] at BikeTiresDirect
These are the tires I bought today only because the Kendas were not available until April. They are Quiet..! They feel the same as Kenda but have a more aggressive pattern and deeper knobs should be good on snow I hope max 20 lbs pressure.
Quiet is a plus
Cheers

Also know TPI is relative to what the threads are made of. If it is the same material, the comments from MMC apply. If they are different materials, that could make more of a difference. Often more TPI is also heavier threads so it is actually MORE protection. That being said, heavier thread are less supple. More TPI is less supple. The more supple the tire, the more it conforms to the road's slightly uneven surface and *should* be quieter. Silk thread tires are considered very high end.

Panaracer is an excellent brand. They make tires for a lot of companies that re brand them. They are know for using, if specified, high quality threads and making supple fast rolling tires. I.e. they know how to make a high end tire. You might not go back. Kenda's pretty good too though, but what you can actually buy makes a difference.

I just got the Vee Speedsters in White walls for replacing my worn down to the orange rubber base CST BFT....they should be coming in tomorrow :)

2021-01-11 07.55.55 super73.com 13bc5bfd6d2b.png

Since I mostly commute in the bike lane, I liked the fact that the speedsters are better for road use and less resistance due to no knobbies.

I just got the Vee Speedsters in White walls for replacing my worn down to the orange rubber base CST BFT....they should be coming in tomorrow :)

View attachment 76455

Since I mostly commute in the bike lane, I liked the fact that the speedsters are better for road use and less resistance due to no knobbies.
I've had them for a couple years and love them. Smooth and quiet.

View attachment 76455

You'll even appreciate how much quieter and better handling they are compared to knobbies on the road

Back