Are Haibikes huge?

Hugh Caldwell

I'm thinking of purchasing an SDURO Cros or Trekking. The local bike shops no longer carry Haibke so I test rode a Trek DS+ and Conduit+ both 17.5" . Looking at the Trek site these are listed as Medium frames but checking the dimensions to the Haibike it seems to match up closest with the SDURO Extra Small frame. Is this correct? IOW I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam which SDURO frame size would be best?

thanks,
Hugh

I'm thinking of purchasing an SDURO Cros or Trekking. The local bike shops no longer carry Haibke so I test rode a Trek DS+ and Conduit+ both 17.5" . Looking at the Trek site these are listed as Medium frames but checking the dimensions to the Haibike it seems to match up closest with the SDURO Extra Small frame. Is this correct? IOW I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam which SDURO frame size would be best?

thanks,
Hugh
You will need the 40 or 44 cm frame. I got 40 and I am 5'8" and I feel it's right on the edge. I prefer a shorter, upright position so for me it works out but if you prefer more stretched out go for 44.

Ahhh... you guys are talking about women's frames. Now I get it. :)

Haibike has like 2 women's bikes that are in lighter colors. Low step bikes aren't really called women's bikes anymore. And with haibike their low steps are barely different anyway from a visual perspective.

Thanks for all the replies. This is where I'm getting the dimensions for the SDuro Cross: https://www.haibike.com
and the Trek: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

According to Haibike the XS Low step has a stand over height of 73cm, the medium is 72cm, and the XL is 71cm. Something isn't right!
https://www.haibike.com

I found another bike shop not too far away with an xduro trekking so I should be able to get this figured out.

Thanks again,
Hugh

As @pxpaulx said, Haibike low step bikes are not that visually different. If it helps, I am 29" inseam as well and the low step 44cm Trekking fits me fine. It is the XDuro Trekking S RX but I'd think the frame is similar between XDuro and SDuro.

Thanks for all the replies. This is where I'm getting the dimensions for the SDuro Cross: https://www.haibike.com
and the Trek: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

According to Haibike the XS Low step has a stand over height of 73cm, the medium is 72cm, and the XL is 71cm. Something isn't right!
https://www.haibike.com

I found another bike shop not too far away with an xduro trekking so I should be able to get this figured out.

Thanks again,
Hugh

I test rode a Trekking 56cm and yes Haibikes are huge at least compared to the Trek bikes. I think I could get away with the 52cm but will probably order a 48cm. I'm a bit worried about ordering a too small bike. My last bike was a 49cm Lemond Tourmalet and even though I bough it at a bike shop and was supposedly sized for me it always felt too small.

Thanks,
Hugh

dont know about the trekking bikes but if you look at the sduro vs xduro on the spec sheets a lot of times they are different

i have had a hard time finding a small enough yamaha or bulls with brose to fit me, wanted full suspension but am not going to be able to get one because the hard tail standover heights are shorter

Huge? Compared to what? I'm 5' 7" with a 30in inseam. I just got a brand new 2017 Xduro Trekking 4.0. It's the high-step 48cm frame - I think they call it "XS" and I have no problem with standover height. Here's a quick pick of my "Landshark" (Hai = shark in German):
34196292640_dae95cf7cd_o.jpg
Landshark1 small[/url] by Athena Kekenes, on Flickr[/IMG]
34196292640_dae95cf7cd_o.jpg

It has 27.5" + sized tires, for reference.

Thanks again for all the advice and offers of help. My Cross SM should be arriving tomorrow :D. It's supposed to rain for the next two days :( .

Nice guitar Athena!

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the advice and offers of help. My Cross SM should be arriving tomorrow :D. It's supposed to rain for the next two days :( .

Nice guitar Athena!

Thanks Hugh! You must post some pics when your bike gets here. I looked at the Cross at first.

We have rain here too now. I'm targeting a local small street market this Saturday for a ride. Chance of rain, but maybe that will keep some of the tourists away. It's the kind of thing where I can hopefully keep the bike with me, as I have no bags yet to carry a lock(s). I could probably wrap the heavy chain I have around the frame somewhere, but the thing is pretty heavy to begin with. Not to keen on adding a more weight to it right away.

My Cross showed up a few hours ago. Just put it together and rode around the neighborhood and to the corner store.

Seems pretty awesome so far. Though my forward chain guide does hit the chain. I'll have to look into that.

I like that the manuals came in a pouch to keep all the paperwork together. I was surprised that there weren't any assembly instructions. Not that there needed but I've just come to expect them.

The charger is huge (must be a haibike thing :D) .

I'm really looking forward to putting it through its paces this weekend.

My two Yamahas:
WP_20170512_13_01_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20170512_13_00_04_Pro.jpg

Sweet Hugh! I'd have gone for the Cross if my roads weren't so torn up around here. Is the size ok for you?

I don't have any other batteries of this type that are this large, so I wasn't all that surprised at the size of the charger. It charged my battery from near death in a few hours, didn't heat up, didn't smell, etc. so I was happy. I'm not paranoid - but I don't particularly want to be forced to leave it charging overnight. My brother's apt burned down after leaving some (cheap) Li-On batteries he bought charging overnight. So I'm happy for the typically teutonically over-engineered charger and charge mine in the kitchen (not between me and the front door) just in case. ;->

The 48cm size is about perfect.

The size of the charger is really a non issue for me and probably 99% of riders but if someone wanted to go touring and take their charger with them the size could be an issue.

I have to admit I tried to lower my seat just a little and bottomed out. Rummaging through my closet I ran across an old short carbon fiber seat post I had with an old Azonic Love Seat on it (hey it seemed cool at the time) and couldn't resist throwing it on. I'd like to see if the pedal assist makes up for a little less than efficient pedaling position. I used to be really anal-retentive about this when climbing (though almost always ended up out of the saddle on any decent hill)... but liked to lower it to cruise through Cologne on my almost downhill-ish bike with dual-crown forks. I had never heard of "urban downhill" in 2003 so it was something new and exciting. And I was in a LOT better shape. ;-> The Love Seat actually feels harder than the stock seat, so I'll probably swap it back, when I get a chance. Maybe it's age, maybe it's my butt hitting it too many times...LOL.

Anyway, I haven't had the bike out again yet, but did ride it around the storage room...LOL. And it was nice to get more of both toes on the ground. Guess my 30" inseam has shrunk a little with age. ;->

...And it was nice to get more of both toes on the ground. Guess my 30" inseam has shrunk a little with age. ;->
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I just wanted to get some Xduro Trekking owners' confirmation: I'm leaning towards purchasing the XDuro Trekking 4.0 2017 as my 2nd/backup commuter. Although it is a class 1, I've really fallen for the elegance of the battery and motor integration and like how that CX motor is compact and angled up. I think the class 1 won't cost me too much time off of my commute since I've got so much start/stop in the commute. And when I am cruising it is usually between 18mph to 23mph. Rarely do I ever hit 25mph.

Anyway, its again the situation as with many top brands where the Haibikes are not available locally for me to try/test and since their frames are a bit unique, I'm having to guess a bit on the correct size. I've read through all the available threads including everything above and am leaning towards a Small 52cm frame:
I'm 5'9" with about 29.5-30" inseam, 165 pounds and 9.5" shoe size (in case shoe size impacts wheelbase decisions). I have the R&M Charger in Medium (49cm) which I feel is a really good fit for both standover and reach. The Charger has a much longer wheelbase. One of my human powered bikes is a Spot Brand 52cm frame (classic diamond frame). At times I feel perhaps it is a bit small and my toes will clip the front wheel on turns if I am not careful.

So I have two very educated opinions that I would be best on the Small 52cm frame for the XDuro Trekking 4.0 (one Chris at Propel and the other a Haibike representative). I say very educated because both of these opinions are from people that have seen and ridden the bike as well as other Haibikes. Then I have opinions from my two local dealers that I should order the 56cm Medium. Neither of these dealers has ever seen the bike. My LBS took some "x/y" measurements from my Charger and said I should order the the M. The other shop said I might not be happy with the short reach on the 52cm. I guess this speaks to the wisdom of riding before you buy but that will require a lengthy trip and once again make it harder for me to buy locally. So for current Haibike Trekking owners, do you find your frame sizes are a good fit for you in terms of reach and standover? Also, it seems as if the seat tube lengths on these bikes might be a bit short. Do you know if they are long enough, particularly on the Small, to allow for a BodyFloat replacement?

Haibikes are not available locally for me to try/test and since their frames are a bit unique, I'm having to guess a bit on the correct size. I've read through all the available threads including everything above and am leaning towards a Small 52cm frame:
I'm 5'9" with about 29.5-30" inseam, 165 pounds and 9.5" shoe size

I am 6ft with 33" inseam and ride a 52cm Trekking S Rx. You should go for 48cm.
the 52cm frame will really too big for you and you would regret purchasing it.

I am 6ft with 33" inseam and ride a 52cm Trekking S Rx. You should go for 48cm.
the 52cm frame will really too big for you and you would regret purchasing it.
Thanks Ravi. Do you think standover or reach would be the biggest mismatch for me on the 52cm XDuro Trekking 4.0 2017? Does your Trekking model have a slightly longer top tube and reach vs the 2017 4.0? I'm just trying to reconcile the opinions. I had a Haibike representative reach out to me and her advice was the Small 52cm. I'll loosely quote her as "I'm 5'6" with 30" inseam and I would ride the small and based on your specs would suggest the same for you". My R&M Charger lists standover at 82cm and with shoes on I can straddle that bike flat footed but I am barely touching the top tube (so zero additional clearance with that 82cm).

Thanks Ravi. Do you think standover or reach would be the biggest mismatch for me on the 52cm XDuro Trekking 4.0 2017? Does your Trekking model have a slightly longer top tube and reach vs the 2017 4.0?

Haibike sizing is very weird and off-scale. See image below.
Both the 2016 Trekking S Rx and 2017 Trekking 4.0 have very similar frames and at your height, both reach and the top tube height would be uncomfortable.
With great certainty, I can tell you that 48cm is the right size.

Haibike Sizing.JPG

Haibike sizing is very weird and off-scale. See image below.
Both the 2016 Trekking S Rx and 2017 Trekking 4.0 have very similar frames and at your height, both reach and the top tube height would be uncomfortable.
With great certainty, I can tell you that 48cm is the right size.

Thanks Ravi. I called the shop that advertises to be the largest Haibike dealer and they concurred on the 48cm at least as a starting point. And the gentleman I spoke to pointed out that even though Haibike calls it an XS in their sizing scheme, if you consider the low step sizes of 40 and 44cm, the 48 is actually somewhere in middle (and hence would be a lower medium given the full spectrum of sizes across low step and high step). So the sizing opinions have helped and now I am just waiting to see if I can obtain the bike locally. The dealer I'm trying to work with is struggling to find out how to get the bike (or even if they can). Which by the way: has something changed with Haibike's dealer network arrangement? A while back, I used their dealer locator and it gave me two local options inclusive of the shop I'm talking to. Now when I visit their site it gives me no local options and my shop isn't even sure if they are still a dealer. In fact, I put in my Michigan zip code on their site and it gives me an Oakland California dealer. Apparently my LBS was formerly listed as a dealer because they sold IZIP/Currie products. Anyway, lots of confusion right now with the folks I've been trying to work with.

Back