Are E-Bike "Warranties" Really Warranties?

Several of the brands we work with cover labor costs including Riese & Müller, Stromer, Gazelle and several others. Making blanket statements that mid-drives are harder to troubleshoot isn’t really true. I’ve been specifically in the electric bike industry for 8 years now and I can tell you hands down that the Bosch system is the easiest to diagnose and repair. I guess for the untrained tech it could be challenging but it doesn’t really take too much. Most problems can be diagnosed through a phone call but occasionally you’ll need to plug it into the diagnostic software. There is a reason why most leading shops and brands chose their systems. Think about it.

I agree that certain brands are not good at supporting their products, but it’s up to the dealer to select products they can support while still delivering a superior experience for the customer. Most shops are going to optimize to service their local customers and try to figure out how to handle remote support. We actually optimize our business to support customers wherever they are, but that’s just us. We’re not perfect at it, but we’re continually improving.

All that being said, we actually don’t work on bikes we don’t sell. We started doing this about a year ago and it’s worked out well. Our mechanics can focus on our customers and focus their training and skill development on the products we sell. That’s how an expert is made - Focus.

It’s great that these discussions are happening though, as most brands and shops don’t usually talk about this but it’s common that we’ll talk to our new customers about this topic since it’s often overlooked.

There are many reasons behind this from liability to the time it takes to correspond with manufacturers, etc. But ultimately as an entrepreneur I learned that in order to say yes to great things I have to say no to many good things. Since doing so things have been much better for my business and my customers who my business is ultimately there to serve.

There are plenty of other general repair shops and we’ll happily refer customers to them, but that’s not our business.

I'm not going to name which store obviously but the first store I went was actually Pedego store, believe or not, they pretty much told me to go away (politely) since my bike isn't a Pedego.

My local Pedego shop also currently just works on Pedego. The owner seems aware of this gap in ebike services out there--that lots of folks have trouble finding someone to work on bike repairs that are related to ebike-specific components. In chatting about his business-related plans one day, he told me that he is thinking of opening another Pedego shop with enough square footage to include a large ebike service department that would work to meet the growing demand for ebike repairs for a variety of brands. I think his current location just isn't big enough to do that.

REI in general will fix or try to fix any bike or e-bike you bring to one of their stores.

Of course, if there is a problem with the battery, motor, or controller they might not be able to help you, or if they do it is likely to get expensive because you are paying them to go down a learning curve.

However, I did see they were selling Electra Townie's which appear to be a Bosch Active Line system, so I suspect that at least some of their shops are Bosch-certified so if you have a Bosch drive system chances are you'll be fine.

My local bike shop (Methow Cycle & Sport) is Bosch-certified and has been happily working on my R&M Charger GX since June of last year. Likely the next project I'll have for them is figuring out more suitable tires than the Rock Razors (I'm partial to WTB Riddlers) for what I'm riding on.

I bought a Raleigh Lore from Propel E-bike shop[ in Brooklyn last July, I put 4500 miles on it as of February and the rear hub failed. I sent the wheel via mail to Propel E-Bikes in Brooklyn for inspection, told them how I rode and they contacted Raleigh. Raleigh replaced the entire rear wheel and the folks at propel swapped out the tire, disc etc...no charge.

I bought my VeeGo 750 from Ride Scoozy in St. Petersburg, FL. They are primarily an online retailer, but because they are only 1 hour and twenty minutes from my house, I was able to test ride and pick up my bike fully assembled at their location. I picked up my bike on a Friday and couldn't take it for a real road test until Saturday. After about ten minutes at 22-23 mph, the Bafang motor developed an intermittent squeal that would last a few seconds with no noticeable impact on performance.

I emailed Ride Scoozy on Sunday explaining the problem and let them know I was leaving on vacation the following Wednesday with the bike. I received an email response on Monday morning asking if I could bring the bike in for them to look at. I took the bike in on Monday afternoon, and naturally we could not replicate the problem. Even though they could not find anything wrong, they replaced the motor while I waited. Jason said he had been in business since 2013 and this was the first Bafang motor he could remember replacing. He had just returned from a tour of the Bafang factory and like another poster on this forum was very impressed with the facility and the number of QC checkpoints during the manufacturing process.

While I am pleased with the warranty service I received, I don't know how this issue would have been handled were I not semi-local. It is my opinion that they would do what they could working through an LBS for a remote customer. My LBS claims they will work on the mechanics of an ebike not purchased through them, but will not touch the motor or anything electrical. I get that, but I can see where that could create issues resolving warranty problems for any on-line retailer.

I dont think any of these arguements are selling me on the value of my local bike shop. I've done the math and its just not worth it. I live in SoCal where rent is high and buyers are fickle. Bike shops come and go too fast. The 3 nearest ebike shops to me are all 3 years old or younger. I'm not 100% sure they'll still be around in 2 years to give me outstanding service.

Online I can save at least $200 over what my local shop can do. Also, I don't pay sales tax, which here in SoCal is almost 9%. On a $2500 bike, that's another $200.

How many hours of labor would i foreseeably need on a new bicycle during the warranty period? I think even in the worst case scenario, Ill end up breaking even if not ahead by buying online.

I think the brick and mortar retailer is a thing of the past and spending extra money to 'give them business' is foolish and swimming againat a tide that's too strong.

Just recently, I went to a LBS with a brake lever issue and the guy working the counter flat out denied me service on any component on my E-bike. He basically showed me the door angrily announcing that they will not and do not work on any bikes they did not sell to the consumer, nor will they work on any internet bikes. A little taken aback, by his attitude and demeanor, I simply told him I would take my business elsewhere. In addition, I did not see any E-bikes in his shop. I then went to two other shops, and they both were open to any of my service needs. Lesson learned, not to ever assume they will accept your bike into their service bays. I believe it is just bad for business after having that experience. I certainly will not consider them in the future, that is for sure.

E-Bikes have helped make the industry much more dynamic. Bicycle Retailer had an interesting article about the number of shops being double, where the traditional bike shops carrying typically bikes (also adding ebikes) that report into BPSA, are now only half the number of total outlets. That's a huge turnaround from just a few years ago, when the number of bike shops had been decreasing annually since the year 2000.

Circa 2000,There were over 8000 bike shops, and that had dwindled to less than 4000, as of 2015, but now they are saying its over 7000 total shops/outlets many of those ebike only. Some of those outlets are ship only, with a distribution/warehouse center but not a retail front. Some could be mobile only in that count like Velofix or Beeline.

I started my ebike only shop in 2015.

Suspect this trend will continue as ebikes have barely scratched the surface of the population owning them, so you will more than likely have plenty of shops to get your ebike serviced and probably see eventually mobile only specializing in ebike service. I'll likely be adding mobile service at some point and service all ebike brands. Need to see the market mature a bit more first here in the Midwest. Timing is everything.

Yes, I had a similar experience to yours. The only way to protect yourself seems to be either forgetting about warranties or choose a well established and well respected dealer to buy your bike. I bought my first E-bike from the only authorised dealer in London allowed by Bulls to sell Bulls E-bikes and I regreted it from the moment I paid the money to today over three and a half years later. Do your research thoroughly before you part with your money unless warranties are not that important to you or you have a crackerjack lawyer who is not only cheap but willing to take on your case.

E-Bikes have helped make the industry much more dynamic. Bicycle Retailer had an interesting article about the number of shops being double, where the traditional bike shops carrying typically bikes (also adding ebikes) that report into BPSA, are now only half the number of total outlets. That's a huge turnaround from just a few years ago, when the number of bike shops had been decreasing annually since the year 2000.

Circa 2000,There were over 8000 bike shops, and that had dwindled to less than 4000, as of 2015, but now they are saying its over 7000 total shops/outlets many of those ebike only. Some of those outlets are ship only, with a distribution/warehouse center but not a retail front. Some could be mobile only in that count like Velofix or Beeline.

I started my ebike only shop in 2015.

Suspect this trend will continue as ebikes have barely scratched the surface of the population owning them, so you will more than likely have plenty of shops to get your ebike serviced and probably see eventually mobile only specializing in ebike service. I'll likely be adding mobile service at some point and service all ebike brands. Need to see the market mature a bit more first here in the Midwest. Timing is everything.

These are very encouraging stats you have posted for future E-bike repair facilities. I have also been in contact with Velo and Beeline bike mobile repair services. Pricing was within an acceptable range for mechanical repairs, tune-ups, etc. I think it is a great way to do business with bikers that have tight schedules and for ones constantly on the move. I have also seen some other private companies offering similar services to the downtown Chicago area, especially for residents living in area high rise buildings. Huge market for that considering Chicago is growing as a very bike friendly city. Other bike friendly big cities could probably follow the same trend IMO.

Back