Apples to Apples? Bosch vs. Bafang Ultra

Much more stability with 3.5 inch tires in town with bad streets . Have you ridden an Ultra powered fat bike ? I'm guessing no. I never say the sense in riding euro law limited bikes.
I ride on the road only a fat tire bike would suck trying to do 22+ mph. but I do like passing them though its funny the roar of the ties I can here them way off.

When ebikes first appeared on my radar I was a bit enamored of the fat tire versions. This passed in about 3 days and a few hours of study of the subject. Now I'm even rethinking my feelings about 2.8 tires but will probably stick with them as my riding will be almost all on dirt/rocky/rutted roads. If I ever take up touring I will change to probably narrower less aggressive tires or even get a second or third bike. Bikes are like boats and pickup trucks in that there is never one vehicle that meets all needs and abilities. It surprises me how much my attitude about ebikes has changed or grown in just a few weeks. Now I don't even like the looks of a fat bike and certainly not the geometry. Perhaps fat tire enthusiasts are feeling 'motorcycle' more than 'bicycle'. I can understand that. I loved my motorcycles when younger but a bicycle serves my more mature desires at my age.

Have you ridden full-suspension e-MTB on 2.6" tyres? I'm guessing no.

I sure have. I'm within 1/4 mile of three ebike shops. Yamaha, Brose, Bosch ,Shimano. All over priced and under powered. Try to keep an open mind and ride a fat bike with proper power sometime. You might love it .

I ride on the road only a fat tire bike would suck trying to do 22+ mph. but I do like passing them though its funny the roar of the ties I can here them way off.

No roar here with street tires and I can easily hit 34 mph, which I hardly ever do. I like the big power for 0-25. Ride one and then judge.

No roar here with street tires and I can easily hit 34 mph, which I hardly ever do. I like the big power for 0-25. Ride one and then judge.
No road roar with these tyres, 27.5 x 2.6". No need for the fat-cow at all :)

Speed? That's illegal, of course but de-restricted Trance E+ 2 Pro hit 57 km/h (35.4 mi) on (downhill) Maxxis Minion tyres on the flat, with a 250 W nominal motor you despise so much :)

You ride that on the fat-bike:
1600706031049.png

The actual distance was 120.9 km (over 75 miles), ridden in mixed terrain. Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro on 2.6" Maxxis Rekon tyres.

I currently ride a bike powered by the Bafang Ultra - 1000 w of power. It's a monster, and it gets my oldish, biggish self up the mountains where I ride - my typical ride days are a slow climb up 10 miles of fire road to the top of one of the Cascade foothills, taking in the view, and then zooming back down. But I look longingly at rigs like a Kenovo and love their true mtb soul - but balk when I think of the total power of the Bosch. I hear that the Bosch motors convert their power ultra efficiently, but I still have concerns that all of the Bosch clones just don't have the beef to get me to the top. So my question is: is comparing these two motors true apples to apples, just looking at numbers? Or is there more to the picture that I am not seeing?

Thanks in advance, all.

I don’t get this constant desire of everyone to convince others your choice in bikes is superior to others’. Ride what you like while let others enjoy theirs. Off my soapbox now.
The OP owns a 1 kW Bafang Ultra monster, and he was interested whether Bosch (or equivalent) motor e-MTB (he gave and example of Specialized Turbo Kenevo, Brose/Specialized e-MTB) could match what he owns now. (That is how I read his original post).

The answer is: Not only any class e-MTB from respected manufacturer will match the Bafang e-bike: It will surpass it in many terms, not only in respect to the motor itself. Especially, as non Class 1 e-bikes are not admitted to trails in many locations.

I want a workout not work the bike out. peddling those heavy tires will suck. its hard enough on 1.5" tires and a 52 pound bike. plus I don't want that much wear on my drive train. I can climb any hill I need upto about 23% grade. I also put 30+ miles a day on my bike. I want my bike snappy not sluggish with heavy tires and yes it makes a difference even on a e bike. I want my wattage I put out as high as can handle that means less assist. Plus my bike has far better peddling smoothness and uses a far small;r battery. but hey if your happy dragging that weight around more power to you. I want a fast nimble bike. Plus on my small battery I get a lot more range right now I am between 35 and 50 with a 36v 500 watt battery.

I want a workout not work the bike out. peddling those heavy tires will suck. its hard enough on 1.5" tires and a 52 pound bike. plus I don't want that much wear on my drive train. I can climb any hill I need upto about 23% grade. I also put 30+ miles a day on my bike. I want my bike snappy not sluggish with heavy tires and yes it makes a difference even on a e bike. I want my wattage I put out as high as can handle that means less assist. Plus my bike has far better peddling smoothness and uses a far small;r battery. but hey if your happy dragging that weight around more power to you. I want a fast nimble bike. Plus on my small battery I get a lot more range right now I am between 35 and 50 with a 36v 500 watt battery.

Uneducated talk from someone who hasn't ridden one. It might be too much power for a guy close to 80. Properly inflated 3.5 inch tires have been proven to not significantly increase drag.

Uneducated talk from someone who hasn't ridden one. It might be too much power for a guy close to 80. Properly inflated 3.5 inch tires have been proven to not significantly increase drag.
Yes of course I have not my e bioke shops dont sell them they sell name brand bikes. like I said I want a workout I don't want more power I don't want to be lazy an use a lot of assist. and Yes those tires do drags just coast down a hill will them see how slow you go. I know I have tested tires size and pressure a lot on bikes. I had a loner bike while mine was getting a display upgrade it had 2.5" tires man the drag was very noticeable coasting downhill I lost over 2mph alone. thanks for calling me over 80 good insult. show me how many watts you average on your ride compared to mine. that's watts you put out not the bike. I have put over 20k on commuting. over 6500 miles since late nov. I average 30+ miles a day every day on a bike and longer on the weekends.

Yes of course I have not my e bioke shops dont sell them they sell name brand bikes. like I said I want a workout I don't want more power I don't want to be lazy an use a lot of assist. and Yes those tires do drags just coast down a hill will them see how slow you go. I know I have tested tires size and pressure a lot on bikes. I had a loner bike while mine was getting a display upgrade it had 2.5" tires man the drag was very noticeable coasting downhill I lost over 2mph alone. thanks for calling me over 80 good insult. show me how many watts you average on your ride compared to mine. that's watts you put out not the bike. I have put over 20k on commuting. over 6500 miles since late nov. I average 30+ miles a day every day on a bike and longer on the weekends.

You were riding on knobbies. Big difference . I truly hated those, that came on mine. Haven't you fallen down recently ? Skinny tires are much more prone to lose grip . Another advantage of big tires. I didn't say you were 80. Just a guess from your photo. And riding any bike is a really limited form of exercise. Aerobics and legs and that's about it. Got to lift some weights !

You were riding on knobbies. Big difference . I truly hated those, that came on mine. Haven't you fallen down recently ? Skinny tires are much more prone to lose grip . Another advantage of big tires. I didn't say you were 80. Just a guess from your photo. And riding any bike is a really limited form of exercise. Aerobics and legs and that's about it. Got to lift some weights !
I have tested what tires do and how much drag they cause on many tires over the years. I doubt we will see tour de fat tire any time soon. I am a woodworking I am always lifting stuff. your the one that seems to need a lot of motor to move your bike. I suggest riding that bike with little or no power till you can move it will on your own.

I have tested what tires do and how much drag they cause on many tires over the years. I doubt we will see tour de fat tire any time soon. I am a woodworking I am always lifting stuff. your the one that seems to need a lot of motor to move your bike. I suggest riding that bike with little or no power till you can move it will on your own.

Why would you buy an ebike and not use the power ? You're missing the point again. These tires in town work great at absorbing potholes ,cracks, etc. Don't judge until you've tried one.

(May I ask for the "travel" of these tyres, TForan? Compared to 150 mm on a suspension fork and 140 mm at a rear damper?)

(May I ask for the "travel" of these tyres, TForan? Compared to 150 mm on a suspension fork and 140 mm at a rear damper?)

I don't need all that travel where I ride. Just a lot of unneeded weight. The tires are what makes contact ,therefore by far the most important aspect. I had a front suspension fork and swapped it for a sold. Much better handling and 5 lbs less , where it counts. See, nice and clean !

Attachments

• _DSC1779.jpeg
    _DSC1779.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 397
Back