Anyone using clip in shoes/pedals?

Overspeed

Anyone using clip in shoes/pedals?

I have a set I'm thinking of fitting, most of my trips are at least 15km so I can't see too much of a downside

I used both step in pedals and toe clips on my non ebikes.

Didn't see the point of clips for my Stromer due to the relaxed riding position...

Thanks guys, food for thought - I do like how easy it is to just jump on and ride with the turbo and its riding position.
Will try it out

Thanks guys, food for thought - I do like how easy it is to just jump on and ride with the turbo and its riding position.
Will try it out

Try out platform cycle shoes like Five Ten with studded platform pedals. Five Ten's are the stickiest shoes I've ever owned and the platform sole locks in very good. It's the closest thing to clipping in I've found, if I concentrate I get almost full rotation power. Check it out....

I commute with toe clips and I'm starting to think it's not a great idea.... But I kinda like the feeling of being hooked in..lol

I have been riding many years with click ins and I would put them on my ebike because I love the feel of the pull as will as the push nothing like a good rhythm to get the best out of your peddling I would switch them on and off depending on what kind of ride I was going on.

I've never tried the sticky shoes, but probably will. What pedals do you recommend with these?

Shimano sets the standard for platforms with their PD-MX80, Crank Brothers also makes some incredible platforms along with Wellgo with a slightly more casual platform. Wellgo even makes a road specific studded platform. In my opinion pedals are just as personal as a saddle, if it works for you than go for it. Toe clip, clipless and platforms all have a place, there's no one size fits all. I have seen the question of toe clip (clip-in) and clipless pedals posed to ebike manufactures and due to speed, lag time of motor cutoff and learning curve of ebikes they do not recommend them. And for riders on this forum not familiar with these pedal systems; both toe clip and clipless pedals you are attached to the pedals while riding. With platforms you are not attached but with the studs and the correct shoes you can get very good lock-in-feel grip.

Information Links:
Shimano PD-MX80
Crank Brothers
Wellgo
Wellgo Road Platform
Clipless
Toe Clip
Bike Pedals: How to Choose and Use
What Kind of Bike Pedals Should You Use? (All pedals discussed, page 1 of 8)
Sheldon Brown on pedals

Shimano PD-MX80, user video :

Pedals are very personal, a big topic!

I made the mistake of buying five ten bicycle shoes to use with Specialized flat pedals. When you combine a climbing sole with penetrating pedal screws, the result is not good. Requires an act of god to get your foot off the pedal. Not a clip in so I can't take power from the up stroke but otherwise, a very sure footed solution.

Try out platform cycle shoes like Five Ten with studded platform pedals. Five Ten's are the stickiest shoes I've ever owned and the platform sole locks in very good. It's the closest thing to clipping in I've found, if I concentrate I get almost full rotation power. Check it out....
I have this combo as well. The stick is sick (meaning good).

Most clip in pedals have a tension adjustment to allow the rider to set the ease of release and amount of play you have while clipped in. Makes riding a bit more comfortable for those of us with pronation issues or lots of city stops. Actually, my go-to ebike has a set of Wellgo pedals with a nice grippy platform on one side and spd clip on the other, so no fluster if I don't have cycling shoes on.

Pedals were the first thing I changed on my Turbo S. I usually ride clipless but just in case I put Shimano PD-T780 pedals that are SPD on one side and platform on the other.
If it's a short ride to the store I can just use the platform side and clipless for the commute.

Shimano also makes a "training wheels" multi release cleat if you are new to clipless pedals. They allow easier release and even just pulling up. Then when you are used to the pedal you can switch to the standard cleat. Alternate is just a loose tension as mentioned previously.

I got a set of Power Grips, but haven't tried them out yet. They're installed on my Specialized hybrid bike. I didn't want to commit to clipless and figured it was a good compromise.

I went the other direction. After noticing that the allen-head set-screws on the OEM pedals are extremely hostile to the soles of shoes, and not wanting to have to wear bike shoes for normal life, I replaced the alu pedals with a set of plastic Specialized flat pedals.

Back