Anyone try MagPed Pedals?

theemartymac

Has anyone tried these Magped Magnetic Pedals?

I'm wanting to upgrade to a better quality platform pedal, and clipless is kind of unnecessary for my use on an ebike, but this seems like a neat concept. The few articles I found on them seem promising, and in addition to a small power boost on hills and such, I like the idea of being able to reset my pedal position at a stop sign/streetlight with a foot down. Cost is high at $200 CAD, but not inconceivable for me if the quality is there and they are serviceable.

I haven't, but I use a spiky platform with Five Ten Impact Pros, and it's very grippy. I can also use any other shoe with the pedals without issue, and don't have to worry about getting a cleat in the right spot.

I have DMR V12's on my MTB (and like them) and some ancient Race Face on my old DH Bike, and I use Mavic XA shoes (or regular runners) right now. The Mavics are set up with the dud plug right now, but they can take a cleat.

The stock pedals on the Rize Bikes are not terrible, but they are not serviceable and I'm already seeing some noticeable drag on my first bike after 1000kms. I'd be happy just grabbing another set of DMR's or something similar, but the idea of the magnetic ones seems interesting.

So these seem like a cheaper alternative, but I'm not totally sold on the design.

It looks like the pins are pretty minimal, and I could see them being a little bit slippier with regular shoes on. Also maybe not as good at clearing mud? The Magped ones seem to be more conventional in those regards, and you can get much lighter weight models of the Magpeds.

A plus for the Maglocks is that the magnets are all included with the set at purchase, so no "up-charges" to get a fully built set.

The third option seems to be these guys, but not quite ready for release, and no price listed yet.

OK, I can't even fathom how that is "Easy to walk around in"! lol

And it requires the use of the specially fitted shoe. I still want to be able to wear regular sneakers for short jaunts.

Has anyone tried these Magped Magnetic Pedals?

I'm wanting to upgrade to a better quality platform pedal, and clipless is kind of unnecessary for my use on an ebike, but this seems like a neat concept. The few articles I found on them seem promising, and in addition to a small power boost on hills and such, I like the idea of being able to reset my pedal position at a stop sign/streetlight with a foot down. Cost is high at $200 CAD, but not inconceivable for me if the quality is there and they are serviceable.
Finally, I can ride to my tap dancing class and not have to change shoes when I get there!

OK, I can't even fathom how that is "Easy to walk around in"! lol

And it requires the use of the specially fitted shoe. I still want to be able to wear regular sneakers for short jaunts.
Then get platform pedals + Five Ten shoes.

I had the double sided SPD pedals. They're annoying for flipping over to get to the right side. And also dangerous to use in the rain with a non cleated shoe.

YUP, Just got a pair of sport2 and using them with a pair of Bontrager SSR shoe. Due to an ankle fractured long time ago where some mobility was lost, I've always used clips since my accident to avoid slipping of the pedals especially on my bad side.
I had an issue with the initial pair to go on my new eBike Trek Powerfly5, Magped was awesome to look into issue and sent me a new pair right away. I've been on a ride yesterday to test and they work great. I have the 200N magnets (I’m 220lbs) and no problems breaking away.😁

Last edited:
I use them and love em. I started out in the 1970s using toe clips and somewhere along the line, about the 1990s I changed to clipless (always a conventional bike). Recently I went to the dark side and bought a Vado 5.0 SL, loved the bike but had difficulty adjusting to flat pedals. I tried the Magped and perfect fit, flat pedals for a quick ride (any shoe or sandal) clipless shoes for extended rides. Works well for me.

In the summer I switched from clipless, and with the LBS’ manager who couldn’t order the pedals for me but nevertheless recommended Catalyst flat
Pedals. They are terrific on either my five-tens, cycling sandals or tennis shoes though they’ll eat up the latter

In the summer I switched from clipless, and with the LBS’ manager who couldn’t order the pedals for me but nevertheless recommended Catalyst flat
Pedals. They are terrific on either my five-tens, cycling sandals or tennis shoes though they’ll eat up the latter
I found the suck on my Shimano sandals and my wife's Adidas cyling shoes they just slip off. if they have har rubber they dont work well we found.

Back