Anyone Tried Tannus Armor in a Schwalbe Marathon + Tire?

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I've been using puncture resistant Schwalbe Marathon + tires with Slime filled Schwalbe downhill heavy duty tubes for two years now (2000+ miles) with no flats. Would adding Tannus Armor offer much additional protection or is it overkill? Would they even fit in the Marathon + tires due to their distorted interior shape caused by the thick tread?

Assuming you could install the Tannus Armor in the Marathon tire, what would the ride and handling be like? The tire makeup would be close to half rubber and half air. Has anyone tried this?

I'm now heading out on my Friday morning ride on extremely rough surfaces. Wouldn't do it without either…
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus + Panaracer FlatAway + Tannus Armour + Slime (R&M Homage)
  • heavy-duty tubeless (Trek Powerfly)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now heading out on my Friday morning ride on extremely rough surfaces. Wouldn't do it without either…
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus + Panaracer FlatAway + Tannus Armour + Slime (R&M Homage)
  • heavy-duty tubeless (Trek Powerfly)
Thanks for the information!

I went ahead and bought Tannus Armour. It just arrived but I haven't installed it yet. The instructions recommend deflating the tires after every ride to avoid compressing the insert foam. Since I use Slime in my tubes, it makes a big mess when deflating. Rotating the tire so the valve is at the top helps but Slime still sprays out. Doing this once in a while is one thing but after every ride is a deal breaker. Sure, I could stop using the Slime but that would just be trading one level of protection for another.

I see you use Slime with your Tannus. How do you manage the repeated deflation process?

I never deflate them either but I replace the inserts whenver I replace a tire ,even though they are guaranteed for 7 years. If you are putting them on yourself you might get an assistant so you can have at least 3 hands on. The ride is better with them in. NO flats yet with approx 38,000 km between our 3 Ebikes.

Back