Anyone have the 2019 Verve+ ?

Ian Moone

I found a lightly used 2019 Trek verve+ in great shape. Haven't really considered them before, until I started looking at specs. Seller has $1500 tag on it ... Opinions anyone ?

Yes, I've had one for about 5 weeks and 240+ miles. I'm really happy with it, but it depends on what you want. I use it for commuting (9-mile round trip) and getting around town and it works great for that. I like that it's light by e-bike standards so I can ride with no assist or just eco assist when riding with my 12-year old twins. The Bosch drive has a very natural feeling ride -- it mostly just feels like you have strong legs. The Active Line on the Verve+ doesn't have a ton of power, so you'll still do some work to maintain speed up a hill. I actually like that (most of the time) because I want to get in better shape. The 9 gears provide range from climbing any hill to topping out around 28 mph before my RPMs get too high. So that works fine for in town. I might swap the seat and get a better suspension seat post (the stock one does next to nothing as far as I can tell), but I'm not yet sure either is necessary.

If power isn't a priority, you don't want a throttle, and you like the riding position, I think it's a great value for getting into a bike with a Bosch drive.

Yes, I've had one for about 5 weeks and 240+ miles. I'm really happy with it, but it depends on what you want. I use it for commuting (9-mile round trip) and getting around town and it works great for that. I like that it's light by e-bike standards so I can ride with no assist or just eco assist when riding with my 12-year old twins. The Bosch drive has a very natural feeling ride -- it mostly just feels like you have strong legs. The Active Line on the Verve+ doesn't have a ton of power, so you'll still do some work to maintain speed up a hill. I actually like that (most of the time) because I want to get in better shape. The 9 gears provide range from climbing any hill to topping out around 28 mph before my RPMs get too high. So that works fine for in town. I might swap the seat and get a better suspension seat post (the stock one does next to nothing as far as I can tell), but I'm not yet sure either is necessary.

If power isn't a priority, you don't want a throttle, and you like the riding position, I think it's a great value for getting into a bike with a Bosch drive.
Thanks for your thoughts and observations !! I'm considering a pretty new verve+ With a rack and even a top bag for $1500. I saw the review that Court did on the 2018 model, and said it was only 20mph with asist. And the 400wh battery. So you Can ride with asist Completely Off ? Does it Drag or give resistance at all ?

You're welcome. The specs are the same (20 mph, 400wh) on the 2019. The Active Line doesn't have any drag when it's off (the faster Bosch motors have a hint of it according to Court). Even when I'm not using the assist, I have the system powered on so it tracks my speed and miles and turns on the lights. The assist level toggles between off, eco, tour, sport, and turbo. With my kids, who cruise around in the 8 to 12 mph range most of the time, I can move between off and eco and things work well. On my commute I rarely need more than tour. It's fun to have sport and turbo available, though.

If you have an e-bike shop around, it might be worth test riding some different bikes. I only rode a Magnum Metro+ before I bought this. That had more power, but was a lot heavier and didn't feel as natural to me (which is probably due to the cadence sensor -- a torque sensor would probably make a hub-based bike ride more naturally). Sounds like a good deal is available to you for the Trek, though. I put a rack and panniers on mine, which have been great. I can haul a lot of stuff (like bags of fertilizer from the hardware store).

You're welcome. The specs are the same (20 mph, 400wh) on the 2019. The Active Line doesn't have any drag when it's off (the faster Bosch motors have a hint of it according to Court). Even when I'm not using the assist, I have the system powered on so it tracks my speed and miles and turns on the lights. The assist level toggles between off, eco, tour, sport, and turbo. With my kids, who cruise around in the 8 to 12 mph range most of the time, I can move between off and eco and things work well. On my commute I rarely need more than tour. It's fun to have sport and turbo available, though.

If you have an e-bike shop around, it might be worth test riding some different bikes. I only rode a Magnum Metro+ before I bought this. That had more power, but was a lot heavier and didn't feel as natural to me (which is probably due to the cadence sensor -- a torque sensor would probably make a hub-based bike ride more naturally). Sounds like a good deal is available to you for the Trek, though. I put a rack and panniers on mine, which have been great. I can haul a lot of stuff (like bags of fertilizer from the hardware store).
This deal I found, on another site from a individual. The Only shop in my area, only does traditional road bikes, and Mountain bikes, no ebikes, so I've been lurking where I can find them offered. Thanks again for your input !! I know a little more now, before dropping the cash !! ??

One nice thing about the Bosch Active Line motor used in the Trek Verve+ is that it is very quiet. I test rode a Trek Verve+ and I couldn't even hear the motor in the lower power levels (Eco and Tour). This contrasts with the Bosch Performance Line and many other motors which can be annoying at times.

I've had my Trek Verve for about 6 months and love it. It's not a speedy but it sure helps with the hills. I would jump all over that price if it's in good shape.

I ride my Verve+ near daily as a commuter and there's an annoying squeak coming from somewhere in the front fork area. I just had it checked out at the dealer and they didn't find anything wrong. I'm wondering if its the fender, I'm about to take it off and ride without to see if that's the problem.

Just wondering where everyone purchased their Verve? I am in the NYC/LI area and the local TREK dealers don't stock it-Looking to pick up one for my wife potentially- hopefully a 2019 with some attached saving$$
Thanks!

Just wondering where everyone purchased their Verve? I am in the NYC/LI area and the local TREK dealers don't stock it-Looking to pick up one for my wife potentially- hopefully a 2019 with some attached saving$$
Thanks!
My local Trek dealer gladly brought a Verve to the store when I requested. It took a few days for it to arrive. This was only for a test ride. I did not promise to buy it.

Back