Anyone gone back to acoustic?

Love riding both. That said for every 1 ride acoustic I typically will have 10-15 rides on electric from my fleet.

I can manage 60-90 minute rides on my acoustic's (mountain and fat bike) and use it as a good 'fitness test' - remembering only 18 months ago I barely lasted 20 minutes before giving up (I was over 300lbs at the time).

Riding ebikes I can go for 3-5 hour rides now and cover a lot of ground (100-140kms typically) allowing me to explore cities and areas by bike and a great part of the joy I find in riding.

With another 50lbs to go this year I do plan to ride acoustic more starting next year - likely 1 in 5 rides is my thoughts. As the hills get easier and my fitness continues to improve I can see wanting to have the higher demand rides (for exercise) blended with my longer and longer ebike journeys as the years come.

Oh, I'm 42 for reference and grateful to have found ebike like last year.

Cheers
Shaun

I will probably never go back to an acoustic - - certainly not while I live on this hill. My ebike makes cycling fun again. While I do cycle for exercise, I'm just trying to not rust, rather than trying to get a workout. And I also cycle for that feeling of freedom, and I wouldn't feel free dreading the slog up this hill to get home. My husband does however ride his acoustics - - he has three - - but he's coming to appreciate the Vado 2 he got so we could ride together. But he rides the acoustics specifically to get a workout.

I still ride my light carbon road bike on group rides, but on my last ride 7 of the 10 riders were on ebikes. :oops:
Every time we came to a big hill the ebikes would zoom ahead and the three of us on regular bikes would slowly make our way to the top of the hills.

When I go for rides by myself I now almost always ride my ebike. I love my carbon road bike, but I think my days of riding this bike are numbered.

Handed down my Trek hybrid to my 14 yr. old and my 20 yr old wants to try road cycling on my Cannondale. I am done with non Ebikes and I am not looking back. It is way more fun going fast and getting a little help on hills

Reactions: TMH
It's a seniors group (55 years old and up). I've found that the riders in this group, when it comes time to replace their bikes, are moving to ebikes.

Hopefully we'll be able to move about freely in 2021 and if so then I'll be old enough to join the group and I'd love to come over to the Island and ride with your group.

Yes. No longer living in a place with a garage and a light bike is more practical. I realized if I have to drag a bike up stairs, it won't be an electric one.

If you're in good shape, a Class 1-2 commuter is a waste of time and money unless it's a cargo bike.

Insurance on ebikes is also stupid expensive.

I went from riding motorcycles to standard bicycles and am still looking to buy and ride an e-bike. I expect I'll still ride my standard Trek bike part of the time after I get an e-bike. I haven't ridden motorcycles much in recent years - neither is operational or licensed at this point. I'd rather ride the Trek.

Last edited:
My wife still uses one of my daughter's old analog bike to ride. So, when I ride with her, I usually do it with the motor powered off. Luckily, my Haibike is relatively light (41lbs) with low resistance making analog rides relatively easy.

My wife still uses one of my daughter's old analog bike to ride. So, when I ride with her, I usually do it with the motor powered off. Luckily, my Haibike is relatively light (41lbs) with low resistance making analog rides relatively easy.
I do the same with my Toughroad. It is heavy but it isn’t bad for a 5 or 6 mile ride with no power

My conventional bike seems to work well if I am going on a slow short ride to kill time waiting for a car repair, etc. It is more practical to bring along a bike that is a bit easier to load and unload off of the rear car rack. I also feel less anxiety locking the bike somewhere sight unseen. I will say, it takes time to get back into the boring feeling of the bike. Riding an E-bike on steroids is just no match, so the fun factor is probably about 10%. More of a relic now, however the memories are greater than the ride itself. Cheers! :)

If I'm going to a concert or doing shopping in a bad neighborhood, I ride the Pacific Quest MTB. Worth all of $75 in any flea market, probably $4 to a fence. I lock it up to a pole anyway.

That's the way to do it! I've got an old-school Azuki that I use for the same purpose. Anything downtown that I'll be at for awhile or overnight... no way I'm taking a nice ebike.

1593731619683.jpeg

For everything else though it's ebike all the way. I do want to get a regular MTB at some point though... Lots of cool single track trails in town but they don't allow electric bikes at all.

however the memories are greater than the ride itself. Cheers! :)

I have found this as I have started riding my acoustic MTBs more (2 times a week).

I actually do much more technical stuff on my FS acoustic carbon 110mm travel bike but the overall memory experience is better. I still remember most of the ride I did two days ago.

I have to think about even the ebike ride I did a few hours ago :)

That's the way to do it! I've got an old-school Azuki that I use for the same purpose. Anything downtown that I'll be at for awhile or overnight... no way I'm taking a nice ebike.

View attachment 57551

For everything else though it's ebike all the way. I do want to get a regular MTB at some point though... Lots of cool single track trails in town but they don't allow electric bikes at all.
I would check the source saying no e bikes. What I have found is that a lot of sources who have no actual authority may say no e bikes because it is run by MTB’ers who don’t want them but the actual authority such as State or City has no such ban.

Back