Anyone add a suspension fork on Como?

Hi Scott, I put a Redshift stem on my Como and it works great. Much simpler than swapping out the fork

View attachment 61988.

Tedd in the twin cities

How do you like the ride... is the rebound dampened?

1599446007285.png

It would be interesting to hear from someone with the euro Como suspension fork ... the part should fit and be available to any specialized dealer if I understand correctly.

I'm shocked. I was thinking to recommend a Como to a female friend of mine and have read the specs of the 2020 Como 5.0 EUR. That's so different e-bike from the North American version! Main differences (the U.S. version in parentheses):
  • 700C wheels (650b)
  • SR Suntour NCX E25 fork (rigid fork)
  • Comfort Gel saddle ("The Cup" elastomer based saddle)
  • Shimano Deore XT 180/160 mm brakes (same but 160/160 mm rotors)
  • Nimbus Armadillo 700x50C tyres (Nimbus II Sport Reflex 650b x 2.3")
  • Presta valves (Schrader valves)
  • Rear rack (front pizza rack)
  • Fender mounted tail-light (???)
Shocking differences as for me.

Last edited:
After riding a Como for 3K miles and contending with the stiffest frame I've ever ridden, then getting the front shock of the new Vado dialed in, my vote is for the Vado ride.
Boy it must just be matter of opinion : I just spoke to another forum Member that told me Just the opposite of what you said.

How do you like the ride... is the rebound dampened?

View attachment 64658
I'm very pleased with the added comfort this stem has provided. I'm prone to wrist and shoulder soreness while riding and it has helped a lot with minimizing that. Adding Ergon gp2 grips have been a helpful upgrade as well.
I wouldn't say that the rebound is dampened but it certainly doesn't have any jarring snap back.

I'm shocked. I was thinking to recommend a Como to a female friend of mine and have read the specs of the 2020 Como 5.0 EUR. That's so different e-bike from the North American version! Main differences (the U.S. version in parentheses):
  • 700C wheels (650b)
  • SR Suntour NCX E25 fork (rigid fork)
  • Comfort Gel saddle ("The Cup" elastomer based saddle)
  • Shimano Deore XT 180/160 mm brakes (same but 160/160 mm rotors)
  • Nimbus Armadillo 700x50C tyres (Nimbus II Sport Reflex 650b x 2.3")
  • Presta valves (Schrader valves)
  • Rear rack (front pizza rack)
  • Fender mounted tail-light (???)
Shocking differences as for me.
US Como 3.0 has a saddle mount tail light, 4.0 and 5.0 are fender mount

Well, rather than putting a suspension fork on the Como's, I just decided to buy her a full suspension Levo. Keeping the Como's for city/paved trails and the Levo's will be for everything else. A bit more expensive solution than a $300 fork, but no compromising when it comes to the single-track trails here in the desert mountains.

Has anyone retro-fitted their ridged Como fork with a suspension front fork?

I ride a Turbo Levo full suspension MTB, but I picked up a couple 2020 Como's for my wife and myself. (didn't go with the Vado as she didn't care for the riding position as much as the Como)
Many of the trails we ride aren't paved, and while aren't MTB single track, they can be rough. I have installed Kinekt suspension post on both, which helps the comfort a great deal, but would also like to fit a suspension fork and was curious if anyone has done this? Did you go with the same SunTour Mobie or NEX-E as used on the Vado or something else?

Thanks!
Scott in Scottsdale
Has anyone retro-fitted their ridged Como fork with a suspension front fork?

I ride a Turbo Levo full suspension MTB, but I picked up a couple 2020 Como's for my wife and myself. (didn't go with the Vado as she didn't care for the riding position as much as the Como)
Many of the trails we ride aren't paved, and while aren't MTB single track, they can be rough. I have installed Kinekt suspension post on both, which helps the comfort a great deal, but would also like to fit a suspension fork and was curious if anyone has done this? Did you go with the same SunTour Mobie or NEX-E as used on the Vado or something else?

Thanks!
Scott in Scottsdale

Got this info and image from a Specialized Dealer Web Site/London:

This model includes smooth and fast-rolling 700C wheels have been paired with cushy 45mm tires

Fork – SR Suntour MOBIE30, steel steerer, 9mm open dropout, 50mm of travel

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...1-step-thru-electric-hybrid-bike-white_485542

And a couple of links:

https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/

https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/hybrid

Looks doable.

Last edited:
It is not available aftermarket. I wouldn't replace the Como fork. It is hard to find a good and matching replacement fork for that e-bike. Not having the front shock also makes the bike more lightweight. The universal advice: inflate your Como tyres just to 50 psi (55 max) and you are well-off on the gravel. I know better as my specific Vado model came with the rigid fork and I can live with it easily.

You might replace the handlebars with the Baramind BAM Trek, the shock absorbing ones. Also, consider replacing the grips with Ergon GP3. The beauty of these grips is you can hold the bars by bar-ends as if you were driving a car. The hold can be very delicate and it makes the ride very easy on hands, arms, and head (hardly any vibration experienced). Since I ride long trips with such a configuration, you can trust me. (With speed bumps it is better to stand on pedals for awhile).

Stefan in Brwinów at the Podkowa Leśna border :)
European Comos are not North American ones. The Mobie forks are not available aftermarket - that's the point.

https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/MOBIE-A32-6280.html from one of two North American SR Suntour dealers.

The point is; if one wants a suspension fork on a Como, a bit of critical/creative thinking will solve the problem. I'm not going to post a link to every shock that would work on a Como, research shows a lot of brands and a lot of levels and price points that will work. Yes, European Como's and North American Como's have different specs, but this doesn't affect interchangeability of parts. :cool:

Bringing back an older thread.....

The problem I am finding is the head tube length on the Como is excessively long and the steering tube on a LOT of shocks are too short from the factory from the Med/Large Como.

Bringing back an older thread.....

The problem I am finding is the head tube length on the Como is excessively long and the steering tube on a LOT of shocks are too short from the factory from the Med/Large Como.
Yep, that's going to be the hold up. I don't believe US dealers have access to the EU warranty parts, that'd be the only way to get a suspension EU Como fork I think.

I need to re-iterate on one important point: A cheap suspension fork is not a good solution. It is not giving as much comfort as one might believe but it contributes to the e-bike weight (and these are not lightweight even without the suspension fork). I demo rode Tero 3.0; that version is equipped with a cheap Suntour steel coil suspension fork (when I hear Suntour I get sick...) The e-bike itself is excellent. However, the heavy suspension fork was making the centre of gravity shifted far forward (lift the e-bike to walk over an obstacle; an otherwise lightweight e-bike -- that's how I perceived the Tero -- was heavy on the front side). While riding, I was disgusted with how little the fork was contributing to the ride comfort in rough terrain. (If I ever were to buy a Tero, that would be the version 5.0 with an air-fork).

Fixed fork Comos gain from pretty wide tyres. It is a sweet spot in the tyre inflation pressure where the ride becomes really comfortable without adding too much of rolling resistance. Let me give you an example:

My Vado is of the first release of the ST version, and it came with a rigid fork. Furthermore, it came with an unusual axle size, so no replacement suspension fork could be found. Even more: because of the specialized nature of the e-bike, the stem turned out to be irreplaceable! My solution? Baramind BAM Trek suspension handlebars for the front and Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post. I leave the rest to the 2" tyre pressure: when riding the pavement mostly, I inflate the tyres to 4-4.5 bar. If riding gravel/dirt, I reduce the pressure to 3.5 bar. Makes miracles!

What is funny is the Como in the US (for 2021) now has the Suntour Suspension fork but Specialized doesn't seem to have any and Suntour told me they don't make anything with a long enough steering tube????

What is funny is the Como in the US (for 2021) now has the Suntour Suspension fork but Specialized doesn't seem to have any and Suntour told me they don't make anything with a long enough steering tube????
Again, look at the geometry chart. The headtube length got significantly shorter thus allowing them to source a fork most likely. It's not uncommon for parts vendors to make OEM parts only and not offer them consumer direct.

Back