anybody ever get a flat with their shwalbe's and what was it from?

Only once... the local bike shop left a Presta valve cap inside the new tire and it wore a hole in the inner tube. ;)

My bike was near new, maybe 6 months old. Didn't know I had a flat until the next morning when I started out for another ride.

I don't KNOW exactly what caused the flat but I am pretty sure what did it. There was some utility repair in the road just a block from my house. They had cut maybe a 4" trench thru the asphalt street perpendicular to the path of my travel.
I saw it, and decided it wasn't too wide and just rode over it.

In hindsight, there were pretty sharp shards of rock from cutting the trench and hitting the trench was enough to drive one of those shards past the treads.

It was in the front tire, and I never found the actual shard. All I could see was a knife like poke into the inner tube.

Very pleased with my Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. The compound is grippy, the rolling resistance is low and I've only had one unlucky flat.

The flat was caused by a 3/16" long stiff and narrow piece of wire which entered at just the right angle to reach the tube.

It was on a 110 mile ride in northern Minnesota and fortunately a random samaritan offered me a pliers to pull it out.

The Schwalbe tubes also hold air very well. I've been adding air about half as often since I got them.

So far on my R&M Homage …
  • 4000 km : Marathon Plus MTB
    1 tyre destroyed by hard seed that penetrated through the special flat-less layer.
  • 4000 km : Rock Razor run tubeless
    1 tyre destroyed by gash through sidewall
    8 flats requiring plugging and reinflating during ride
    1 tyre binned because it had too many punctures
  • 2000 km : Marathon Plus MTB with
    – Panaracer Flataway: 40 mm-wide Kevlar strip glued to inside of tyre
    – Tannus Armour: 15 mm under tread; 2 mm inside sidewalls
    – Schwalbe tube filled with Stans sealant
    No flats and no loss of pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marathon Plus MTB's on 3 bikes ridden mostly on gravel trails, some pretty rough. Closing in on 2000 Mi. with no issues.

Interesting enough, I also had only one incident with a flat tire on my Schwalbe Energizer when they were pretty new. Never found a puncture so I believe it was a valve issue. Tubes in there now are about two and a half years old. When I eventually replace them, I'll toss between the Energizers again or the Marathons as well. Energizers have a little better roll resistance stat. though I'd probably not feel much of a difference. Here's their E-bike catalog if you're in the market.

Last edited:
10.400 miles on Energizer Plus Tour and only one flat. A roofing nail. I doubt any tire would have resisted that one.

Last edited:
    1 tyre destroyed by hard seed that penetrated through the special flat-less layer.
David I like it. You clearly hate flats as much as I do. Those determined preventative steps you have taken make me hope with fingers crossed that you never get another flat.

So, based on your experiences, which tire would you suggest for mostly paved roads but with some fine gravel/sand trails? I _think_ I'd prefer tubeless with a good sealant, but may go with a tube tire with the armor inserts Steve Mercer was talking about. My stock tires are 700x45c - 622x45.

I've been on Schwalbe Fat Franks this whole time (tire that came with the bike originally...) About 7,200 total miles biked now, with no flats (fingers crossed!) -- obviously not on the original pair of tires -- I've done replacements, as needed, when tread wears smooth.
99% of my riding is on paved MUT's; no off-road/dirt riding thus far.

I've never had a flat with a Schwalbe tire, that includes two mountain bikes running Schwalbe tires, I do use tubes and Slime in my tires but haven't figured out how to get Slime in my Presta valved tubes yet.

Last edited:
You clearly hate flats as much as I do.
Steve …
Since the Homage came into my life in early January of this year, my Trek Powerfly 5 has been ridden very little but on the same roads – or lack thereof – with the same determination to puncture its tubeless Bontrager tyres. For 2019:
  • 2000 km : Bontrager tubeless similar to Schwalbe Rock Razor
    7 flats requiring sealing and reinflating
    2 tyres binned
  • 1000 km : Bontrager tubeless similar to Schwalbe's ruggedised Hans Dampf
    0 flats (yet?)
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
So, based on your experiences, which tire would you suggest for mostly paved roads but with some fine gravel/sand trails? I _think_ I'd prefer tubeless with a good sealant, but may go with a tube tire with the armor inserts Steve Mercer was talking about. My stock tires are 700x45c - 622x45.
It sounds like some variety of Smart Sam is your man. I have never had a flat on a Smart Sam plus. I use a Smart Sam DD on the back and a Magic Mary Supergravity soft on the front.

Last edited:
Razor blade.. must have hit it with the front tire which cause it to stand up and then it slice clean through my back tire & tube. Immediate flat.. luckily I was super close to work. The slice was so big I had to walk back out to figure out what I had hit, and dispose of it so I wouldn't hit it again.

It sounds like some variety of Smart Sam is your man. I have never had a flat on a Smart Sam plus.
I've got to tell you, I find the different ways of specifying tire sizes to be somewhat confusing... My stock tire is 622x45.

The only 622 sizes Smart Sam (or Plus) come in are 54-622 and 57-622. I suspect they wouldn't fit. They must be wider, right? And maybe there would be even less clearance for the fenders.

(And why do some say xx-622 and others, 622-xx?)

I've got to tell you, I find the different ways of specifying tire sizes to be somewhat confusing... My stock tire is 622x45.

The only 622 sizes Smart Sam (or Plus) come in are 54-622 and 57-622. I suspect they wouldn't fit. They must be wider, right? And maybe there would be even less clearance for the fenders.

(And why do some say xx-622 and others, 622-xx?)
Yes the different countries using different ways is confusing. What bike and model do you have? Sorry I thought you had a bike that could run off-road tires. If not you might consider the Marathon Mondial DD.

Last edited:
Back