Any RadMini people out there

Welcome to the board! Looking forward to your take on the radmini. First, ride and enjoy. There's no must haves, but I recommend first focusing on where there rubber meets the road... Tubes and tires. Have fun!

Dropping my wife's car at the shop tomorrow and using the mini to get to work:

IMG_20160802_194712921.jpg

Edit: I just want to comment, having just lifted the mini totally intact, battery installed, with front toolkit and lock, and empty rear trunk pack, it is very heavy. I recommend disassembling further if you are at all prone to tweaking your back, like me. By removing the battery, seat, and any bags and locks you can make it much easier and safer to move. The front wheel would make it even better, as Court mentions in his video.

Last edited:
Bought a RadMini for my wife two weeks ago and love this bike!!! Looks like I am going to get one in the next few weeks. I was riding her RadMini yesterday for my 6 mile lunch time ride and got a flat on the back tire about 1.5 miles from home. No problem pushing it (even when it started raining-LOL). Went to the local bike shop and bought a new tube (they didn't have any thorn resistant tubes) and put it in with no problem. This morning I got up and it was flat again, the tube blew out on the side. I couldn't find anything sharp or reason why. Could it just be a bad tube?
tire.jpg

Maybe a bad tire @Steven F. Schluter, check the rim for metal spurs or out of place rim strip that might let a spoke poke through. Check the tire for cracks in the bead or broken thread on the inside, both of which could puncture a tube. A tire liner, like a Mr. Tuffy or one of the variations, is helpful to prevent many flats from road grunge even with a regular tube. The tire might not have been properly seated or the tube over inflated which would cause a tube to blow. Check the tire for the max tire pressure and be careful about using a compressor to fill a tube; it's easy to overfill.

You don't mention there being a problem at the valve stem section; however, oftentimes a rough edge at the valve stem hole can cut into the valve stem and voila, another flat! One last tip, put a little air into the tube before placing it in the tire, that helps to prevent the tube from being twisted during installation. A kinked tube definitely wants to pop :). Let us know what you figure out; it seems like a bit of a mystery at the moment.

Good News!!
I pulled the tire off and went down to the local bike shop and showed it to them. They gave me a new tube (different brand) no charge. Put the new one in and went for a 7.5 wonderful mile ride around our local golf course here in Marathon. Thank you Ann M. for your tips and fast response
P.S. I am surprised how easy it is to take the rear wheel off.

I am surprised your LBS even had 20x4 tubes. Great advice above from Ann. The tubes that came with my May radmini were definitely poor quality, I'm using Specialized presta valve tubes and they seem nice, a good replacement for the stock tubes.

I am glad you found the rear wheel easy to remove, it was very tricky for me the first couple of times.

I am just about at 200 miles (haven't been able to ride as much, picking the kids up from camp). That means 130 miles since my controller was replaced and 180 since I flatted and replaced the tubes/tires.

I am surprised your LBS even had 20x4 tubes. Great advice above from Ann. The tubes that came with my May radmini were definitely poor quality, I'm using Specialized presta valve tubes and they seem nice, a good replacement for the stock tubes.

I am glad you found the rear wheel easy to remove, it was very tricky for me the first couple of times.

I am just about at 200 miles (haven't been able to ride as much, picking the kids up from camp). That means 130 miles since my controller was replaced and 180 since I flatted and replaced the tubes/tires.
Didn't you mentioned in a previous post something about squeaking / creaking in the handlebars at the folding pivot? I noticed this on the past few rides. Do they have a fix for this?

This is what I was talking about. I sent an email to Rad Power Bikes support. I tried to tighten the clamp down bolt and it makes it a little better.
I'm not sure from your video where your creak is coming from, but you might try using an assembly grip paste. It's most often used on seat posts, same principle with your folder though. You could try a multipurpose synthetic grease. Sounds counter intuitive, but bike assemblers have been using grease on seat posts to keep them from creaking and slipping for decades. Make sure it's synthetic though, as petroleum will lose it's viscosity and grip in the heat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ2NY2..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=E1JGT9R71Y8FPJSZP5K2

I'm not sure from your video where your creak is coming from, but you might try using an assembly grip paste. It's most often used on seat posts, same principle with your folder though. You could try a multipurpose synthetic grease. Sounds counter intuitive, but bike assemblers have been using grease on seat posts to keep them from creaking and slipping for decades. Make sure it's synthetic though, as petroleum will lose it's viscosity and grip in the heat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ2NY2..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=E1JGT9R71Y8FPJSZP5K2
Thank you!!

So I have gotten to put 2 long rides on the mini now. First ride was 20 miles and the mini handled it very nicely no issues. The second ride had more up hills and bumps was a bit longer and more taxing on the battery. That ride went awesome as well.

I am confident that it was a faulty controller and after testing out other bikes I feel like the Mini was a great buy!

The tire issue has been on my mind since I bought the bike. Multiple sources confirm thin side walls and low quality tubes. I plan to install new tubes, tires, and rim strips.

Tires (Front & Back):
http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Cruis...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Tubes:
http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-HEAVY-D...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Rim Strips:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Rim-S...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Hopefully my replacement spacer is in today so that I can get it installed and not cause a failure. Here is a pick of me and my dog on our ride!

Safe Riding Guys!

Nick
Did you get the tires and tubes? Just curious if you like them?
Thanks,
Steve

Everything came today. Installed specialized tube and Vee tires, and also a Mr. Tuffy on the back. Unfortunately the freewheel removal tool wouldn't fit over the big axle nut, and the nut won't fit over the plug! So I will have to cut and then re-solder the motor plug and didn't feel like doing it today.

The new tires are nice. They inflate a little narrower but are "taller" effectively increasing the diameter a little bit. The motor is not so bad to install when you open up the chain. Test ride tonight.

View attachment 6267 View attachment 6268
How do you like your tires & tubes? I really like the look of the factory tire, but it doesn't hold up very well, 2nd flat today :-(

I like them a lot... 180 miles with no flats so far. If you like knobbies, Specialized and Vee both have 20x4 options which should be an improvement over stock.

Did you find the source of the punctures?

I like them a lot... 180 miles with no flats so far. If you like knobbies, Specialized and Vee both have 20x4 options which should be an improvement over stock.

Did you find the source of the punctures?
The first one was a piece of wood that looked like the pointy end of a golf tee but only thicker, and the third one was just a very small thorn. The second flat was a bad tube, but it happened while sitting overnight before I got to ride. This is my first fat tire bike, and I was really surprised how easy it was to get a flat. All my riding so far is on a paved bike path. I have been lucky to have been close to home when I got the flats. I could see that it would be hard to change out on the road versus inside, bike upside down on a pad with good tools. I really like all the mods you have done. Thanks for all the information.
Still love this bike!!

Sounds familiar. I was questioning fat tires after my flat too. I don't have much evidence other than my limited experience, but if you can deal with the hassle try a high quality tire - at least in the back - a new $15 dollar tube, and perhaps a Mr. Tuffy. I put one in and have read mixed results, but the thing looks, feels, and stabs pretty good for not too much weight. I'm feeling much better about the fat tires after putting a few dozen miles on it. Also have taken it apart enough times to fix a flat on the road. I really think the stock tubes and tires are pretty bad, but acceptable at the price. Opportunity to ride a bit and learn how to fix the tires :)

The more I ride the mini, the more I appreciate the fat tires. great traction and a fair amount of "full suspension" but instead of fork and shock maintenance, you have heavier tires. I think running them too firm is a mistake for both comfort and punctures.

Last edited:
Sounds familiar. I was questioning fat tires after my flat too. I don't have much evidence other than my limited experience, but if you can deal with the hassle try a high quality tire - at least in the back - a new $15 dollar tube, and perhaps a Mr. Tuffy. I put one in and have read mixed results, but the thing looks, feels, and stabs pretty good for not too much weight. I'm feeling much better about the fat tires after putting a few dozen miles on it. Also have taken it apart enough times to fix a flat on the road. I really think the stock tubes and tires are pretty bad, but acceptable at the price. Opportunity to ride a bit and learn how to fix the tires :)

The more I ride the mini, the more I appreciate the fat tires. great traction and a fair amount of "full suspension" but instead of fork and shock maintenance, you have heavier tires. I think running them too firm is a mistake for both comfort and punctures.
What tire pressure do you recommend? Right now I am in the middle of recommended. I didn't see any Mr. Tuffy liners for the 20" wheels yet.
I am really a newbe to all this stuff. Should I try to order the tires and tubes through our local bike shop?

Couple of questions:

1. Has anyone put narrower tires on the rad mini (e.g. 3 inches wide or narrower). If so, how did it perform? Mostly interesting in city riding. Not concerned about off road.

2. does anybody know the if 60 pound weight listed on the Radpower site includes the weight of the battery?

I'm wondering because Seattle metro bus bike racks can only accept tires up to 3 inches wide and bikes weighing less than 55 lbs. So wondering if narrower tires and removing the battery might make it possible to stay within those limitations.

3. Has anybody folded up their mini and brought it onto a city bus? If so, how practical was it to do that?

What tire pressure do you recommend? Right now I am in the middle of recommended. I didn't see any Mr. Tuffy liners for the 20" wheels yet.
I am really a newbe to all this stuff. Should I try to order the tires and tubes through our local bike shop?
In the middle is a good starting point for the tires. You can use the 26x4 Mr Tuffy's in the wheel. I would order the tires and tubes and install them. If you are unfamiliar with changing bike tires the shop can do it, even if you supply the parts. If you order through the shop you would further support a local business, bit likely pay more and it coúld take longer.

Welcome to EBR, @aerodrew808a. Enjoyed your videos, especially when you've got the ocean on one side and the hill you're climbing in front! Which island were you on with these rides, Oahu the main island? Just curious. :)

Back